Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Moving to ubuntu

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, today i have officially move to ubuntu, right now i will use it on vmware for next 6 months so that i make myself use to it and know how to make it work for me.

Anyone out there ever move to linux, any advice or help?

Comments

• Options
    It's not as bad now as it used to be, just a few years ago it took a week's worth of configuring stuff just to get a graphical desktop. These days most linux varients will install you into a graphical desktop of your choice by default.

Learn how to use iptables before setting up any services, if you were intending to run local mail/web server etc..
  • Options
    Linux hasn't converged as far as it's 'function' with windows or OS x yet. It's still either a geeky toy or for servers / higher functionality that 99% of people don't need.

My advice on using linux is see it as a toy. Don't expect it to 'just work', the whole philosophy behind it is everything is changeable and configurable (open source) so you can set it exactly how you want it. But it can be quite nice getting things perfect how you like it, but for me I came to the realisation one day it was time wasted that I could spend actually doing something rather than configuring my PC.

I don't know anyone whose ever used linux for an extended period of time (except when it's set up on specific devices like the eeePC maybe) and hasn't spent literally hours configuring and setting it up, or finding better ways of doing the task of configuring and setting up.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've been using linux distros as my main OS since 2004, ended up with Ubuntu in 2005.
    Most of the things work out of the box, and pretty much anything else can work with some configuring. But it's worth finding out if there are drivers for your devices (especially peripherials).

I'd say, Ubuntu nowadays is probably just as easy to use for someone who is totally new to the system as Win95 was in, well, 95.
  • Options
    Well the main reason for me to shift on that is, i am looking forward for LAMP certification.

and that is right in linux most of the time you just work on making it right for than working on real things, like it happen today and i was like i hate it.

But one thing is sure, it really worth to spend time on that if you have enough, otherwise stick to windows.
  • Options
    I have Unubunu installed, but I've only used it the odd time. I'm only the type to use linux for servers. I'll always use Windows.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Linux hasn't converged as far as it's 'function' with windows or OS x yet. It's still either a geeky toy or for servers / higher functionality that 99% of people don't need.

My advice on using linux is see it as a toy. Don't expect it to 'just work', the whole philosophy behind it is everything is changeable and configurable (open source) so you can set it exactly how you want it. But it can be quite nice getting things perfect how you like it, but for me I came to the realisation one day it was time wasted that I could spend actually doing something rather than configuring my PC.

I don't know anyone whose ever used linux for an extended period of time (except when it's set up on specific devices like the eeePC maybe) and hasn't spent literally hours configuring and setting it up, or finding better ways of doing the task of configuring and setting up.

I have to disagree a bit here. While many of the linux distros match your description, many of the more user friendly ones like Ubuntu actually works straight of the box for most people. And the installation process is no more complicated than for a standard Windows installation, which makes Ubuntu ideal for newbies. Installed it on numerous computers without trouble.

Of course, you might be unlucky to i.e. have hardware that's not supported (yet), but you might even run into that situation even with Windows.

Actually, mane schools and other official departments up here have made their move to linux, using tailored "easy to use and install" distributions of Linux, many which great success. For many "regular" office users, it made no difference between having a Linux distro with i.e. openoffice and a Windows installation with MS office.

This isn't to say that everyone should just go ahead and installing Linux. One should first consider the reason for doing so, then choose an appropriate distro, and also consider if the software that you're using is available on Linux.
  • Options
    I reinstalled Kubuntu last night, and it was a doddle. Working desktop with all hardware correctly detected and configured. Had to do the obvious - sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras - to enable DVD and MP3 playback, used Adept to install my chosen email client, VLC, and lm-sensors so I can keep an eye on voltages and temperatures.

It'll never be Windows, and this is why people find it hard. But, to be honest, after living without Windows for a few years(or even months), then the 'strangeness' seems to make a whole heap of sense extremely quickly. Just because it's unfamiliar, it doesn't mean it's no good, or just a toy...

My advice - install KDE. Play around with "Klibido" and "Amarok". "Konqueror" is a superb lightweight web browser, too... :)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    This is just my own experience, but I've never had good memories of KDE. Something always seems to go wrong. GNOME all the way, as far as I'm concerned.