Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Weekend trip to Germany!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Me and a friend have just decided we need to get away for a weekend or something. She's off to Holland, so it kind of tiggered something :P
anyway, as the title says, we want to visit Germany. Not too far, so it should be quite cheap.

Wheres the nicest place to visit though? I'd like to see somewhere city wise, then maybe go camping somewhere for a night? Where's the nicest place to visit that's not too far, and in travelling distance of trains.

I would like to visit either Switzerland, Germany, but anywhere else someone can recomend? I've already been to France too.

:chin:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Where in Holland would she/you be travelling from? That would hugely affect where I'd recommend.

To give blind advice, I think Hamburg is the obvious answer. I don't know what you know about it but essentially it's a beautiful city in northern Germany (and - side note - my favourite city in the world, really) and there are lots of opportunities to get out into beautiful, more rural environs in the area. You could travel to either the North or Baltic sea from there easily - and cheaply if it's at the weekend or you book in advance - or even to Sylt which is an island nearby or Blankenese which is a local village-type-place nearby. Both are beautiful. The nice thing about Hamburg is the huge amount of water (both by the docks and the two city centre lakes) and greenery, I don't even think it's necessary to get out of the city to feel you've had a chilled out break. I really can't rave enough about Hamburg, it's fantastic and even more so if you know where to go/what to see etc. AMAZING nightlife, beautiful place, great people, I've never had a bad experience there.

An alternative would be Cologne, a city I'm not quite so enamoured with but which is definitely entertaining enough for such a short break. Plenty to see. From there you can easily access the Rhine valley which provides a lot of potential for camping in very verdant surroundings (if you did venture that way I can be a lot more specific of course).

I would also hugely recommend Berlin. Though for a weekend you'd be pushing it travel-wise.
  • Options
    We'll be travelling idealy from Liverpool, though we could easily go into Manchester if need be.
  • Options
    Ah, then Berlin for sure! I know you can easyjet from there :thumb:
  • Options
    From liverpool - you can fly to Friedrichshafen its on Lake Constance - also known as the bodensee - which is really german and forms the boarder with switzerland so you could pop over there on a day trip.

Its super touristy which means that there are lots of places to stay and also really good transport links (Cycle paths all round the lake and really easy to use ferries that you can hop on and hop off and travel all over) and lots of different things to do like castles and vinyards and swimming in the lake.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure sleazyjet or Ryanair also fly to Hamburg from Manchester. I'd go with Hamburg, it is such a completely chilled out city and going down GroBe Freiheit and the Reeperbahn is a must and a bit of an eye-opener.

Highly recommend popping into Christiansen's cocktail bar opposite the Fischmarkt too!