Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jacket Potatoes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you a cook them in the oven?

I just always shove them in the microwave for 8 minutes but I fancy seeing what there like done in the oven.

How long should I cook them for and on what gas mark? Do I need oil/tinfoil too?

Comments

• Options
    I usually wrap them in foil and stick them in at gas mark 5 for about 1hr30/2hours depending on size/number of potatoes and how squishy they feel around an hour and a half.
  • Options
    They take ages in the oven, although they are fluffier inside oven baked

I usually microwave them for about 5 mins until nearly done, and then pop them in the oven for about half an hour at some random temperature until they're crispy (wouldn't really help anyway as my oven has its own concept of temperature)
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    They take ages in the oven, although they are fluffier inside oven baked

I usually microwave them for about 5 mins until nearly done, and then pop them in the oven for about half an hour at some random temperature until they're crispy (wouldn't really help anyway as my oven has its own concept of temperature)

It did take forever to cook...I got board and ended up shoving it in the microwave after an hour and a half of waiting :rolleyes:
  • Options
    If you shove a metal skewer through the potato and leave it in while it cooks, it'll lessen the cooking time as it conducts heat through into the centre of the potato :yes:

Also, rub the skin with some salt before baking it, makes it even more crisp and tasty :yum:

I much prefer potatoes baked in the oven but nearly always microwave them cos I can't be bothered to wait! They are worth it though when you've got time and patience.
  • Options
    I rub them in extra virgin olive oil to make them crispy, prick them and then chuck them in for about an hour
  • Options
    I usually microwave them for a few minutes and then finish them off in the oven. That way it doesn't take too long. I usually rub a bit of olive oil and salt into the skin of the potato after it's been in the microwave and before it's been in the oven to make it go crispy. Actually most of the time I eat jackets they are from The Griffin pub where the landlord John does them amazing, he puts them in the oven for aggggesssss. But if I'm doing them myself then that's my usual method.
  • Options
    They do taste better when baked in the oven but you do have to use about 100 times the amount of power to do it.

Just finish them off in the oven, otherwise it takes forever and wastes loads of gas/electric.
  • Options
    I always use the oven though because I don't have a microwave. We used to microwave them in halls though but they were always really wet and the skins just went hard underneath, not nice.
  • Options
    I always use the oven though because I don't have a microwave. We used to microwave them in halls though but they were always really wet and the skins just went hard underneath, not nice.

That's why it's good to turn it over part way through the microwave time and also it's good to only do them say 70% in the microwave and then finish them off in the oven to dry them out :yes:

Although all done in oven is probably even better if you have the patience :thumb:
  • Options
    It's not like I sit and watch the oven for 2 hours waiting for it to cook! :lol: You just have to plan a bit in advance. I have jacket potato before I go to work on my 2 weekday shifts so I put them in at 11 and then eat them at 1 - and do other things in those two hours!
  • Options
    It's not like I sit and watch the oven for 2 hours waiting for it to cook! :lol: You just have to plan a bit in advance. I have jacket potato before I go to work on my 2 weekday shifts so I put them in at 11 and then eat them at 1 - and do other things in those two hours!

I know!! I wasn't suggesting that you do!! I've learn this recently with cooking beans and pulses and roasting tomatoes, that actually it's really easy if you are already going to be in at that time just to put them on and leave them and just check them a few times during the cooking time whilst getting on with whatever else you would have been doing! But often I do just want food right now and I'm not going to wait more than a few minutes because I'm hungry and impatient :blush:

But they do taste better done your way I think, as that's how they do them down at the pub I go to and they are the best ever jacket potatoes.

Our regular pub was closed for refurbishment for about 4 weeks last year and during this time we had the joys of an evening in a Weatherspoons. My friend's jacket potato was still frozen in the middle!! Apparently they bake them and freeze them and then re-heat them to order :yuck: It was the grossest meal I'd had for ages and I literally thought I was going to vomit on the pavement on the way home (and not a drop of alcohol had touched my lips that night!!) Thank God the good old Griffin re-opened the next week :D
  • Options
    Eeeurgh! How are they allowed to serve food like that? That's disgusting!
  • Options
    Eeeurgh! How are they allowed to serve food like that? That's disgusting!

I know! And it was about a fiver for the potato with cheese and beans whereas it's only £3.50 for that at our usual pub. Also that night in Weatherspoons, I had a cup of tea and it was the rankest tea ever and when I asked for milk (I had to actually ask for milk for my tea, it wasn't like offered as standard!!) it was hot and frothy like you could put in coffee. I decided just to use it and now realise why we never put hot frothy milk in tea!! I'm trying to remember what else was wrong with the meal that night but I just remember that almost everything was awful and I remember the long walk back to the station literally having to stop a few times thinking I was going to vomit as the meal was so disgusting!!
  • Options
    thats how they did them when i worked at gala bingo too. I think it may be pretty usual. Well they were frozen jacket potatos. we didnt bake them first to freeze, they were bought like that.

They werent awful though
  • Options
    thats how they did them when i worked at gala bingo too. I think it may be pretty usual. Well they were frozen jacket potatos. we didnt bake them first to freeze, they were bought like that.

They werent awful though

:chin: Maybe yours were cooked all the way through and you didn't leave the middles still frozen :)
  • Options
    frothy capacino tea, lol, I don't think that's usual practice, not even for a weatherspoons. I'm guessing new or just totally thoughtless staff.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Making some now.

I don't bother with the microwave or foil.

Just rub them in a little oil and salt, give them a few pricks with the fork to stop them exploding and cook large ones for just over an hour at about 200.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I wrap them in foil to keep them clean really, if I'm doing more than one or two I put them on a baking tray.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    frothy capacino tea, lol, I don't think that's usual practice, not even for a weatherspoons. I'm guessing new or just totally thoughtless staff.

Or just thick :chin:

I should have complained straight away but I though oh what the hell and lived to regret it!!