Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Weird visual distortions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sometimes I get a sensation where my eyes 'zoom in' and look through objects rather than at them, and I find it almost impossible to snap back out of this state. It makes me feel dizzy and nauseous.

When I was younger I used to get this quite often - usually when trying to sleep. I've noticed it happening again recently, but I have no idea how it happens.

Has anyone experienced this? If you don't know the feeling, it's almost like in movies when they use the effect where the peripheral of the shot 'wraps' around, and the object zooms in.

Comments

• Options
    i used to get something similar as a kid. Usually in darkened rooms, like when i was going to sleep.

it was like little coloured objects moving past me. Odd.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Was this before or after you took pills?

I get flashbacks all the time! One minute I'm sitting at my computer, the next I'm sitting at my computer in the middle of the High Street. It's worse when it happens when I'm taking a dump. Nothing worse than pooing when you think everyone in the High street is watching!!!

You know that footprints in the sand thing you always see in peoples bathrooms, like when your having a dump, where it goes on about the scenes of your life flashing before your eyes? Could it really be co-incidence? :shocking: :crazyeyes :nervous:
    This was happening years before I did any drugs. I don't really know what you're talking about, but flashbacks really aren't what I described at all. If I was having some kind of hallucination I would have described it as such. Just a distortion in focus and perspective.
    drumbeat wrote: »
    i used to get something similar as a kid. Usually in darkened rooms, like when i was going to sleep.

it was like little coloured objects moving past me. Odd.
    Did you ever get migraines?
  • Options

Did you ever get migraines?
    no.

and this was when i was mainly when i was really small. Under 10.
  • Options
    i think i get something similar to you. like things are moving slightly and wobbling/shifting. it's very odd and happens at random times. had this since i was 16. apparently it's a symptom of M.E. and/or anxiety. but what you are experiencing could be different.
  • Options
    I get that, but it's something I do conciously - I can control it. I have a squint, so I can pull the focus out on my left eye whilst keeping my right eye still... so I see everything double or see through one object to look at another behind it or in front of it....

Sounds like a squint to me...
  • Options
    I get that, but it's something I do conciously - I can control it. I have a squint, so I can pull the focus out on my left eye whilst keeping my right eye still... so I see everything double or see through one object to look at another behind it or in front of it....

Sounds like a squint to me...
    That's interesting - before I got glasses/contact lenses I did used to squint to focus on things. Maybe I messed my eyes up doing that?
  • Options
    No, that's not what I meant, it's not when you squint, it's called A Squint, where the muscles in the back of your eyes are lax so your eye doesn't focus appropriately so you get double vision...
  • Options
    No, that's not what I meant, it's not when you squint, it's called A Squint, where the muscles in the back of your eyes are lax so your eye doesn't focus appropriately so you get double vision...
    Ah okay. Can the opticians pick up on this, or would it have to be specifically mentioned?
  • Options
    Ah okay. Can the opticians pick up on this, or would it have to be specifically mentioned?

They usually pick up on it. I have a phoria, which is like a squint only it's so mild that you can't tell by looking, only when they do the test where they cover one eye, have you focus on something and then uncover the other eye and whatnot. It's a pretty standard test though.

For the record I also get the zoomy in eye thing, although not that badly, so maybe it is something to bring up with your optician?