Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

sunbed/tanning dilemma

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been wearing false tan for just over a year now, I like to have some colour to me pretty much all of the time. I use St Tropez and occasionally dove over the top but after about a week I need to SCOUR the lot off if ive applied more than once! I use a pumice stone to completely get rid. Have done this today and I am glowing white! This is nothing new to me I know I'm as white as a milk bottle naturally! The whole routine of applying and removing fake tan is not only expensive but gets very boring and laborious. So I wonder about using tanning booths. Ive used one once in my life but never went back, no reason, just wasnt bothered back then. Now since I started Uni 2 years ago I became friends with two tanned(one natural and one fake) girls who opened my eyes to false tan. I love pics of myself when I have colour on me. It doesnt help that Im a size 14 which I think makes white arms look worse!

Now I am older I have the means to use the sunbeds regularly but also a family, a husband and a child. And I just cannot justify using the sunbeds! I really think it'd save me time and effort but the whole cancer link worries me. I convince myself that its ok since I dont smoke, holiday abroad or deliberately sunbathe that I am not putting myself as at much risk as most people, but then the next day I get a pang of 'could i forgive myself if something developed one day' and tempting fate.

Hmmph! Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    learn to love yourself as a pale person.

TBH it all sounds like far to much faff to to anyting else and i'm pretty sure the cancer risk from a sun bed isnt' worth the tan you get at the end of the day.
  • Options
    id carry on with the fake tan, but i definitely wouldnt be removing it every week with a pumice stone. Thats unnecessary and probably damaging your skin.
    I would say a gentle exfoliant every few days and then keep topping it up with holiday skin type stuff and youll have some colour.
    Id avoid sunbeds.
  • Options
    Dianne1985 wrote: »
    I convince myself that its ok since I dont smoke, holiday abroad or deliberately sunbathe that I am not putting myself as at much risk as most people, but then the next day I get a pang of 'could i forgive myself if something developed one day' and tempting fate.

Smoking gives you lung cancer, sunlight contains just as much UV in the UK as abroad, and going on a sunbed IS deliberately sunbathing. It's not a case of 'if I walk to work instead of driving I can eat that cupcake', and how much risk you put yourself at in relation to other people has no bearing on your susceptibility. Your body doesn't think 'well, I really should get cancer now, but since Tracey smokes and I don't, I'll give it a miss'

As the others said, take a leaf out of Nicole Kidman and Nicola Roberts' books and learn to love your pale skin, or use a cheaper/easier method of tanning. All that dye/chemicals on your skin constantly can't do you much good, and pumice stones are for use on the really hard skin on your feet, not your body!

Give your poor skin a break and start treating it like it's a part of you, rather than something that's there to be changed!
  • Options
    Also - i'm sure noone has yet done any long term research into the effects of using fake tan on your skin but surely - if its not gravy browning - it just can't be good for you to slap that many unessecssary chemicals onto your skin in the long term.
  • Options
    id sooner put fake tan on. sunbeds need topping up pretty regulaly too, just as much as fake tan, and with fake at least you wont go red and/or peel
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Also - i'm sure noone has yet done any long term research into the effects of using fake tan on your skin but surely - if its not gravy browning - it just can't be good for you to slap that many unessecssary chemicals onto your skin in the long term.

Yes but I think a line has to be drawn somewhere into things like this, including make-up, perfume etc. I once saw an article on 'This Morning' discussing toxins given off household appliances, furniture, paint, wallpaper etc!

Im not saying that smoking is the same as sunbeds(however can cause skin cancer too cant it?) but Im more trying to give myself a break, i dont take many risks or have THAT many vices!

I never cnsidered the pumice stone damaging my skin, i do exfoliate, with expensive stuff too but it doesnt do the job properly at all, maybe because I am so light underneath. I dont make myself sore and i only appear to take off the fake tan, which seems to make a new layer on my skin with the moisturiser i apply(makes it easier, thickens it up).

Hmm perhaps i might try Famous Daves.

Such a pain in the bum, i may start bathing in gravy ;)
  • Options
    I say rather come to terms that you are white like I am. I know I don't like it too, but it's something we have to accept. In summer I would recommend you good old mr. sun. and in winter, yea, why not use the sunbed every once in two or three weeks? It's UV rays, yea, but the sun has them too, it's not ultra dangerous cancer infusing death rays, just don't overdo it.

If you are naturally whit tho, it might be that you are just getting sunburnt in there instead of getting tanned. I used them once and had to explain a sunburn over half of my body in the middle of winter. pff, more power to whites!! (<- don't take that seriously plz)

Your body doesn't think 'well, I really should get cancer now, but since Tracey smokes and I don't, I'll give it a miss'

potwpotwpotwpotwpotwptpotwptopwtowptowptowptowt!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    get this: -

hero.jpg

I adore it, on offer at £2.25 from boots at the minute and its great!

Because its instant, it washes off easily!

I used to spend £12+ on the loreal tinted gel...but then they changed their formula and it went crappy

Spent ages trying to find a decent one and took a chance on this coz it was cheap!

I am fair but still get the medium shimmer....the medium matte aint much cop, get shimmer

worth a go for that price non?x
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »

So what happens if it rains and you get wet?
  • Options
    you get brown socks
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    get this: -

hero.jpg

I adore it, on offer at £2.25 from boots at the minute and its great!

yeah as mentioned what about in the rain!? I have a few instant ones that I use for my legs as it comes off qwuicker from them and makes the expensive stuff last but I have had a dotty chest from a wash on/wash off tan before eeek!!

I really like the Rimmel instant tan make up,forgot i bought some when i was away a few weeks ago and had washed all my tan off in the pool, thats ace for giving the fading tan a little glow(if anyones interested!), JUST STAY AWAY FROM RAIN!!!!!:shocking: