Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Contraception and lowered Libido

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was on the pill for 5 years and over the last couple of years my sex drive dropped dramatically. I initially blamed it on being in a long term relationship and just "one of those things", but my Doc suggested it could be the pill, and so for the last six months I've been on the injection. So far I haven't noticed a change....if anything it's worse!

I just wondered if anyone else had noticed a drop in their libido since being on oral/injected contraction? And if so has it come back? Or have you found a form of contraception (other than condoms) that helped it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    My libdo had all but vanished by the time I came off the combined pill. Came back slightly on the mini pill. Have had the implant for six months and it comes and goes off its own accord.
  • Options
    it just makes me laugh as i went on the pill because i wanted sex and now it's stopping me wanting sex!
  • Options
    It's funny to see this today as lately I've been wondering if this is happening to me. I'm also in a long-term relationship and have been on the pill for about four years or so, and recently my sex drive has all but vanished. It's doing my head in as I do still fancy my boyfriend and when we actually have sex, I enjoy it (mostly) - I just am never "in the mood" (or hardly ever) to initiate it. I don't want it to destroy my relationship so have been wondering about changing my pill...it's just it took a while for me to find one that didn't give me horrible side effects like moodiness/paranoia and weight gain...I don't want to go back to all that :( I really don't know what to do.
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    It's funny to see this today as lately I've been wondering if this is happening to me. I'm also in a long-term relationship and have been on the pill for about four years or so, and recently my sex drive has all but vanished. It's doing my head in as I do still fancy my boyfriend and when we actually have sex, I enjoy it (mostly) - I just am never "in the mood" (or hardly ever) to initiate it. I don't want it to destroy my relationship so have been wondering about changing my pill...it's just it took a while for me to find one that didn't give me horribly side effects like moodiness/paranoia and weight gain...I don't want to go back to all that :( I really don't know what to do.

I'm exactly the same, except I came off it and it has never returned :(
  • Options
    I tried a lot of different types of pill and on everyone i found my libido was lowered. As soon as i came off it everything gradually returned to normal.
  • Options
    Mine went right down when I was on the pill, even the mini pill. Now I've come off it because I'm no longer having sex and it's just suddenly returned - when I have no boyfriend! :grump:
  • Options
    I've even spoken to my doctor and all they suggest is a different kind of hormone, but that doesn't guarantee anything! i'm on the injection, which is perfect, no periods, no pain, no weight gain! only every 12 weeks! but no sex drive! it could be other factors in my life too....but i noticed the drop in libido before these other factors existed... i don't want to come off contraception because of many reasons -besides being pregnant!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Mine went right down when I was on the pill, even the mini pill. Now I've come off it because I'm no longer having sex and it's just suddenly returned - when I have no boyfriend! :grump:

Not just me then, it's a basta** isn't it. :chin:
  • Options
    Carolina wrote: »
    Not just me then, it's a basta** isn't it. :chin:

yes :(