Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Problem with USB Wirless Dongle

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello Chaps

I am having a little difficulty with my wireless, it has stopped working on my vista machine this evening when it was working ok this afternoon.

It does not recognize the dongle in the USB port, I have tried other bits of kit in the same port and it has recognized it. However it seems to work in my old machine that has XP on it...

I am at a bit of loss at the moment to understand what is happening

The adaptor is a Netgear WG111v3

Some help will be brilliant as I am at lost here...

Comments

• Options
    To be safe I'd first uninstall the Netgear software (Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features, Netgear XXX, Uninstall).

Next remove the device from the device manager (Start, Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, Netgear XXX, Right click, Uninstall). The location might be slightly different on your PC. Ensure you don't remove anything other than the Netgear drivers! If in doubt, don't do it (or post a screenshot here).

Then download and install the latest software from this page. Follow the instructions!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Isn't vista supposed to be able to automatically find proper drivers for your devices? heh...
  • Options
    I had the same problem i had to go out n buy a wireless card, i ended up smashing the wireless dongle to peices. my netgear router is teh sex though
  • Options
    Isn't vista supposed to be able to automatically find proper drivers for your devices? heh...
    It can find drivers for some or most devices, however these will usually be the Microsoft certified (i.e. old) versions. If I'd stuck with the Vista defaults my laptop would probably be dead by now!
  • Options
    i have got it working, installing the new drivers from the website worked...

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    marv wrote: »
    i have got it working, installing the new drivers from the website worked...

Thanks for the help.
    Nice one :thumb: