Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

could this be meningitis??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I think I may just be being really paranoid, however one of my closest friends and work colleugues was rushed into hospital with meningitis a few days ago, this afternoon I woke up with a banging headache, really sore back, feeling sick but not actually being sick and a sore neck. Am I being paranoid or should I get this checked out?? I am feeling not myself and like im not in my body sort of thing if that even makes sense!

Thanks

AFA

Comments

• Options
    You could try phoning NHS Direct (0845 4647)and see what they say. Once I was so convinced I had it I imagined that I had a stiff neck and felt sick from worrying.
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey AFA :wave:

I'm really sorry that your friend's been taken ill. I would advise that you go and speak to your doctor about how your feeling.

There are two main types of meningitis:

- Viral meningitis is the most common form, but is less severe than the bacterial type. However, it can still be serious and very rarely, can progress from headache, fever and drowsiness, to deep coma. You may experience a severe headache, stiff neck and aversion to bright lights as well as fever and vomiting.

- Bacterial meningitis is less common, but is always a severe and serious illlness. It's caused by several different types of germs, which live naturally at the back of the nose and throat in one in ten people and can be spread by close prolonged contact, coughing, sneezing and kissing.

Like Lea said, you could phone the NHS direct line to see what advice they give you, or alternatively give the Meningitis 24 Hour Helpline a call on 080 8800 3344.

Meningitis can progress very quickly in just a few hours so if you're showing some of the symptoms you should seek medical help immediately.

I hope everything's fine and your friend gets better very soon.

:thumb:
  • Options
    i would go to the doctor because youve been in close contact with someone whos had it, plus you are now feeling ill yourself.

I would
  • Options
    thanks for the replys guy, i been to the dr and he said it was a viral infection, still feeling shitty but at least its not meningitis!
  • Options
    phew, always worth checking if your not sure, better red than dead init.