Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Chocolate sponge cake!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got an idiot (and idiot-oven) proof chocolate sponge cake recipe? I need one with minimal ingredients (no sour cream or cornmeal or anything like that) that I can whip up with my eyes closed (all in one method is preferable!). My oven is a bit temperamental so looking for a reliable riser

So the perfect recipe really! Can anyone help? I don't ask for much :p

Comments

• Options
    6oz butter
    6oz caster sugar
    3 eggs (beaten)
    6oz self raising flour
    few tablespoons cocoa powder (enough to make the mix a light brown)

Cream the butter and sugar together till pale and fluffy.
    gradually beat in the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition
    fold in the flour and cocoa

I always break up a chocolate bar or two into small pieces and mix that in so its like chocolate chunk/chip cake.

I also sometimes make up some very strong instant coffee, with just a teaspoon of coffee but not very much water and put that in with the mix. it gives it a lovely flavour but you might need to add a little more flour (you might not)

line a cake tin with greaseproof paper and bake in the oven at 190c (375f - gas mark 5) for about half an hour-ish (have a quick look then and see if it looks done anyway)
  • Options
    6oz butter
    6oz caster sugar
    3 eggs (beaten)
    6oz self raising flour
    few tablespoons cocoa powder (enough to make the mix a light brown)

Cream the butter and sugar together till pale and fluffy.
    gradually beat in the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition
    fold in the flour and cocoa

I always break up a chocolate bar or two into small pieces and mix that in so its like chocolate chunk/chip cake.

I also sometimes make up some very strong instant coffee, with just a teaspoon of coffee but not very much water and put that in with the mix. it gives it a lovely flavour but you might need to add a little more flour (you might not)

line a cake tin with greaseproof paper and bake in the oven at 190c (375f - gas mark 5) for about half an hour-ish (have a quick look then and see if it looks done anyway)

:yes: it's tried and tested by me too, that's how I do mine. Also nice in paper cases as chocolate cupcakes :)
  • Options
    Another one for SCC's recipe. You can use it to make any sponge cake with the basic flour/sugar/egg/butter recipe.
  • Options
    Thank you!

I heard that you have to reduce the flour to put in the cocoa powder so i was getting a bit confused! I'll have a bash and see how it goes :)
  • Options
    it doesnt really matter for small amounts like that tbh. You could reduce the flour if you want, but baking isnt really an exact science. You can do things slightly differently here and there and it still comes out alright
  • Options
    Ah thanks - I hope it works out :)