Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"If you love Afghanistan so much ... why don't you go live there?"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know that this is not exactly 'debate' but as so much 'politics' is 'discussed' at the following link, I thought it may be relevant.

Very funny ... but scary!

"All the comments quoted were found on the BBC "Have Your Say" site. Yes, people really have written them. On purpose as far as I can tell."

Have a look through the tags on the right hand side.

http://ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere.com/

You thought we had nutters on TheSite Politics board? :lol:

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant :D

I've looked on the Have Your Say thing before and it's dreaful. I can quite believe people have said that kind of thing!
  • Options
    It is undisputable that readers' views from places such as Teletext or BBC Have Your Say are dominated by right wing opinions.

This is not a reflection of the political demographics of the country, but simply a result of the fact (in my opinion at least) that the more right wing the average person is, the angrier, more intolerant and more willing to shout out their views they will be. So far more right wing nutters bother to contact Teletext or the BBC than moderates or left wingers. This, sadly, can play to their advantage at a General Election for the same reason.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    the more right wing the average person is, the angrier, more intolerant and more willing to shout out their views they will be.
    And on the other hand (please complete the following sentence):

The more left wing the average person is, the.................

Personally, I'm left wing about some issues, and right wing about some issues, but not extreme left/right about anything.
  • Options
    Have Your Say depresses me a lot
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »

Personally, I'm left wing about some issues, and right wing about some issues, but not extreme left/right about anything.
    Sure, an extreme leftie is likely to be as vocal. However I do believe the average right-of-centre person is far more likely to express their views than its left-of-centre counterpart.

That is by no means a defect. On the contrary. But what it means is that Disgusted of Turnbridge Wells will make the effort to write to the BBC to complain about immigration or "political correctness gone mad" far more often than a muesli-eating Islington-dwelling liberal is about corporate greed or persecution of minorities. As a result such 'readers' views' pages show disproportionate amounts of right wing views.
  • Options
    Given the Tele reported that 75% of people support the Government on 42 days detention, the view of the UK as made up of hangers and floggers seems more accurate than them being a small minority (not that many of these people would regard themselves as right wing - many are probably left-wing on many issues. A better description would be authoritarian vs liberalism)
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »

the more hung? :p
  • Options
    Given the Tele reported that 75% of people support the Government on 42 days detention, the view of the UK as made up of hangers and floggers seems more accurate than them being a small minority

Which is why we need people in power who look after our interests, not cater to our whims.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Sure, an extreme leftie is likely to be as vocal. However I do believe the average right-of-centre person is far more likely to express their views than its left-of-centre counterpart.

George "surely on the Iranian government payroll" Galloway?

His main argument against the war is "are you signing up to fight?" which is pretty much in the same league as "If you love Afghanistan so much, marry it" or whatever it was.

Incidentally, another one I love is, "we're not allowed to open churches in Saudi Arabia" as an argument against allowing a mosque.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Which is why we need people in power who look after our interests, not cater to our whims.

They need to do a bit of both. if we have people in power who don't ever listen to the people - why vote? It's sometimes a difficult line, but I don't think they should always do what is in our interests, if we don't want it done (for example, it is in our interests that smoking and alcohol is banned, not sure I'd want them to do that though)
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    the more hung? :p

From the rafters? Or like a horse?
  • Options
    Incidentally, another one I love is, "we're not allowed to open churches in Saudi Arabia" as an argument against allowing a mosque.

I love that one. :D
  • Options
    I used to play scrabble with john paul the second in kabul. mohammed ali used to be the referee. bap a bada bop!
  • Options
    They need to do a bit of both. if we have people in power who don't ever listen to the people - why vote? It's sometimes a difficult line, but I don't think they should always do what is in our interests, if we don't want it done (for example, it is in our interests that smoking and alcohol is banned, not sure I'd want them to do that though)

That's fair enough. Purely thinking of what is in our best interests may lead to a bit of health fascism. But if they listened to the Mail we'd have the death penalty without trial for anyone who went near a playground and looked a bit odd.

In this example they should not go with the ill-informed rabble.
  • Options
    That's fair enough. Purely thinking of what is in our best interests may lead to a bit of health fascism. But if they listened to the Mail we'd have the death penalty without trial for anyone who went near a playground and looked a bit odd.

In this example they should not go with the ill-informed rabble.

Well the obvious guideline for a government is that they should always be attempting to uphold the human rights of everyone they represent, and obviously in certain cases this may go against popular opinion (punishment of criminals being a good example).
  • Options
    Well the obvious guideline for a government is that they should always be attempting to uphold the human rights of everyone they represent, and obviously in certain cases this may go against popular opinion (punishment of criminals being a good example).

I think that's a good way of looking at it in general (though in all cases the devil is in the detail)
  • Options

You would think so, but apparently not this government.

I do hate the way that people complain that its criminals and ayslum seekers get all the benefit from human rights laws - Thats the bloody point! When the government is locking you up, or throwing you out of the country human rights are a key issue. If you or I are walking to the shops on a saturday afternoon we dont need to worry about it. The law is there to protect the most vulnerable in society.
  • Options
    You would think so, but apparently not this government.

that's the devil and the detail.
    I do hate the way that people complain that its criminals and ayslum seekers get all the benefit from human rights laws - Thats the bloody point! When the government is locking you up, or throwing you out of the country human rights are a key issue. If you or I are walking to the shops on a saturday afternoon we dont need to worry about it. The law is there to protect the most vulnerable in society

Well the law is there to protect everyone - not just the vulnerable (which may often not be the criminal of course). But I do take exception on the narrow view of human rights which seems to be based only on the contract between Government and the citizen, rather than also between citizen and citizen (it's also my human right not to be assaulted, burgled, blown up, my wife raped etc).
  • Options
    It is undisputable that readers' views from places such as Teletext or BBC Have Your Say are dominated by right wing opinions.
    That's because right-wingers seem more able to express their opinion in short and punchy sentences. This means they are more likely to fit into the limited space that the Letters page on Teletext has, and are more likely to be published. To put it crudely, letters about the persecution of minorites just aren't sexy enough to bring in the readers.
  • Options
    This is not a reflection of the political demographics of the country, but simply a result of the fact (in my opinion at least) that the more right wing the average person is, the angrier, more intolerant and more willing to shout out their views they will be. So far more right wing nutters bother to contact Teletext or the BBC than moderates or left wingers.

:lol: cheap
  • Options
    From the rafters? Or like a horse?

Depends on whether you prefer swinging to riding ;)
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    Depends on whether you prefer swinging to riding ;)

:D