Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

depression and the doctors

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone,

Just joined today - so i'm new to this so please bear with me!

Just wondering if anybody could give me some advice on depression and going to the doctor as i'm due to on thursday. Would like to open up and tell her how i've been feeling for some time but don't want to feel even more stupid then i already do :o(

I find it really hard to talk about my feelings and life, because when i have done in the past to friends or relatives ive always been told to "get over it" or "i'll be okay, i'm having one of those days" but it's really not like that at all! None seems to listen!!

Any advice will be greatly recieved!

Comments

• Options
    Write it down.

I've never *actually* done that but whenever I've been and then come out and wished I'd said something, I always wish I had it written down so that if I was too nervous or I forgot something, I could just read it or even hand it to them.

Also, don't be disheartened if your doctor is crap with depression and mental health. I've had some who were awful (telling my mother she was a bad parent, for example) and some who were pretty good. Just stick with it and don't give up because of bad experiences.

I hope it goes well for you. xx
  • Options
    I agree with the above. I always plan what i'm going to say and then when i go in my mind goes blank and i end up rambling on about some minor ailment without mentioning the depression. Write down everything. How you feel, how it effects you, etc. If your mind goes blank, just hand it over!

Like the above i have also had drs be sympathetic, but also had them be the complete opposite and one even told me i was a lost cause (nice!). If you are not happy with the outcome with the appointment, book another one with another GP in the surgery if possible.
  • Options
    I don't have any actual advice to give you but I just wanted to say that i think you are SO SO brave and I wish you ALL the best luck at your appointment x x You CAN do it x x
  • Options
    If you are not happy with the outcome with the appointment, book another one with another GP in the surgery if possible.

This is the most important part. And you should be able to see another GP in your surgery without a problem, you just have to ask. My surgery is quite good in that respect because we don't have a specific GP assigned to each person because the doctors are spread across two surgeries and aren't always in on the day you ring up to see them.

Never just give up because one doctor doesn't give you the help that you need, but also bear in mind that the waiting list for things like NHS therapy tends to be very long so the doctor may try other methods which may or may not be beneficial while you're waiting.

Also, if you need to vent about anything at all, the Depression and Self-Harming thread at the top of this section of the forum is always a good place to do that anonymously and the people in there are always full of excellent advice and are incredibly understanding.

Going to the doctors about depression is a very difficult thing to do and I think you are very brave for doing it. Well done and I really do hope it goes ok for you.