Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Coming off the pill?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I've been taking the pill for years now for various reasons at different times (period problems, contraception), but after discussions with doctors I've decided to ome off to. I've just finished my last pack so I'm expecting a normal withdrawel bleed soon and then I'm not going to take anymore packs of it after the 7-day break. So I just wondered if there is anything I should be aware of? Like if anything bad might happen or if there is anything I can do to make it go better for me? I've been taking Marvelon, which is a combined pill, for about 8 years.

Comments

• Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Computer has crashed three times trying to write this post so hope it's useful :-)

Most women find that it takes around 4 to 6 weeks after coming off the pill to get a 'real period' again. I wouldn't say that anything bad will happen but you may find that it's more painful for the first few months with cramps and so on, and perhaps lasts longer than you are used to on the combined pill, which often makes periods shorter and lighter. You may also be aware of the time you ovulate, which is around the middle of the month, and get a few twinges in your back that shouldn't last very long though. Many women report that they are more fertile immediately after coming off the pill, so if you are having sex definitely make sure you are using extra protection.

Take care
    Pearly
  • Options
    I was on Marvelon for two years and came off it due to it causing a lot of health problems. For the couple of months afterwards it made my cycle completely up and down and brought on a lot of acne etc. Basically it just sent my hormones haywire as you'd expect. Everything settled down though after about three months. I think maybe my case was a little worse than usual as we've worked out my body doesn't like heavy meds anyway.
  • Options
    When I came off the combined pill (loestrin) it took about 6 weeks. When I came off the mini pill it was just under a month. I don't know anything about that pill, just be aware your periods might be all over the place for a bit. My first period after coming off the mini pill was quite painful - i used to get really bad ovulation cramps before the pill and had them pretty bad after the mini pill. I just had my second period since coming off, didn't get much ovulation pain and the first day was fine but the second day was pretty painful and made me feel sick, but that was quite normal. I only bled for 2 days aswell, really heavy for 1, then light the next then brown goop for a few days. I used to bleed for about 3 so nothing too unusual yet.
  • Options
    my 1st period after i came off cerzazette (sp) didnt come for about 3 months

then i didnt get another for another 2 months

my skin has got a bit worse, but not anything major

its kinda different for everyone though so just see how it goes :)
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies in this thread. I'm glad I made this thread as it helps me keep track of the dates, lol!! Thanks for the warnings that it might be a while, it helps be not to admit defeat too soon. Still no period though.