Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The implant....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking of getting it, I used to be on the pill but didn't like it plus I get bad migraines so it's not advisable for me...

I'm going on holiday in July and although my period isn't going to fall over that time I'm worried that if I get the implant fitted before I go (as I want to) it's going to make them crazy and change when it's due as I've read they can mess with them a bit.

Can anyone pleaase tell me if thats likely to happen? As I really don't want to be on whilst I'm on holiday....

Comments

• Options
    you can only get the implant fitted on the first day of your period, most places won't put it in otherwise

so if you're not due then, you won't be able to have it put in
  • Options
    for many people it stops it, some people you get irregular spotting but not full on bleeding, and others it just lightens the period. it can really differ from person to person...
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    you can only get the implant fitted on the first day of your period, most places won't put it in otherwise

so if you're not due then, you won't be able to have it put in

I am due a period before I go and therefore would get it done at the start of my period, what i meant was is it likely to make my next period come at a different time?
  • Options
    My doctor said something slightly different to what T_T said: that in 1/3 of women it stops periods completely, in another 1/3 it lightens them, but that in the other 1/3 it can give you constant bleeding (although he implied that it was only light bleeding).

He ALSO said that the best thing for me to do was to go on the injection and then if that helped, then go for the implant. Which I did. I'm due my period in about 2 weeks, so I don't know if it's helped yet, but I think you should just go for it. It needs to be within the first two days of your period though.
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »

They have to be sure your not preganant before they insert it, so normally around you stop taking the combined pill for your break/finish a strip of mini pills.

I was on the mini pill for three months before I had the implant and it stopped me bleeding. I've had the implant six months and have only spoted a couple times (normally about every three months). I also havent had such bad headaches that I had on the mini pill.
  • Options
    I have had my implant in for 2 months now, i had a tiny period when i first had it (my periods used to be really heavy), since then I havent had one and im def not pregnant!
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    but that in the other 1/3 it can give you constant bleeding (although he implied that it was only light bleeding).

Yeah, that was me. NO FUN. Bring on Wednesday when they take the bad bastard out.

If you're worried about it affecting your periods on holiday I would wait until after to get it as everywhere seems to advise that it can take around 6 months to settle down.
  • Options
    Injection

I've been on the injection for six months now and to start with I had spotting every couple of weeks but for the last three months I've had NO PERIODS! It is so amazing! I think the injections is the same hormone (?) Although I do know everyone is different,so really its pot luck. I would, personally, wait till after your holiday as would be such a pain! Plus if you are sure you wont have one otherwise it would be a right kick to get one if you go on the implant!

On the same idea....I went on the injection for two reasons, firstly because I wanted my periods to stop, and secondly because i thought the pill might be to blame for my really low sex drive. So far I havent seen an increase...has anyone else noticed a change in sex drive on or off the pill/injection?
  • Options
    that sounds great