Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting the sack because of sickness?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically I've been very stressed about things lately, some of you guys may have read a recent post of mine and my manager has told me to try get a sick note from the doctor so I can take some time off to get myself together. This is after I was refused 'compassionate leave' (not sure if it even comes under that) from the area managers as they are extremely unsympathetic. Yes I know they have to be shrewd business men/women but pur-lease, if they had personal beef I reckon they would be booing a little bit.

Anyways....I just want to know if I do need to take time off for stress/depression or whatnot, will I be sacked?

Cheers my lovelies

Comments

• Options
    I don't think they are allowed to sack you for being ill. They can decide to sack you and just try to find another excuse to do so if they are going to be tits about it. But I would think this would be very extreme.
  • Options
    They cant sack you for being ill is you have a sick note. however I think that they can write to your doc for more details, but not sure if there has to be a certain amount of time before they do that.
  • Options
    I'm on my 5th week off work and been told b my work that my job is safe and not to rush back. I have been with company for 2.5 years and I get full pay, that depends on your length of service usually. AS long as you have a sick line I can't see you being sacked.
  • Options
    The company I work for are sosososo strict about absence.

I came in after I'd lost my voice completely and they made me stay on the phones because if I phoned in sick then I'd be on a final written warning.

One of my mates in here was off twice because he had a contagious illness, got a final warning for it. Then he fell and broke his leg and he got the boot.

Check in your contract, in other words.
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey star*

Sorry to hear you're not feeling too well at the moment. In regards to your sick leave, a lot depends on the terms of your contract. Have a look at your contact to see if there is anything written in about what you are entitled to. Have a look at TheSite.org's article on sick pay to find out more. There's also a good article on the DirectGov website.

If both of these don't answer all your questions try our askthesite service.

Hope it all works out and you start feeling better soon!!

:thumb:
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your current stressful situation. In regards to being let go due to "illness"... probably not, but if they were looking to sack you there are other criteria they could probably use as the reason for doing it.
  • Options
    One of my friends has just had a few months off for severe depression and my work were very sympathetic about it and just told her to come back whenever she wanted. I don't think she got full pay, but I think she got something. I think it depends on your employer on how they deal with it tbh.