Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Veggies and Medicine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just wondering what exactly the general viewpoint is on veggies taking medicine with gelatine and stearate etc in them. I know there are veggie alternatives but they are often not used. I'm only asking as I am on painkillers and antibiotics at the mo which contain these things. I'm veggie but I'm taking them as I'd really like to get better soon and have not been offered any alternatives.

Cheers for any opinions/advice.

xXx

Comments

• Options
    Personally I reckon if they're necessary (as opposed to things like vitamins and supplements) then you should put your health first and take them.

Guess it also depends on your reasons for being veggie and how strict you are.
  • Options
    Personally, as a veggie, I do try to avoid them where possible. I always buy veggie-friendly vitamin products, veggie omega-3 in vegetarian capsules and if I buy painkillers I get ones that are not in gelatine capsules. Also I take a few prescription meds, I take fluoxetine but I get it in the liquid form that I take by the spoonful so I can avoid the gelatine in regular fluoxetine capsules. I also take an anti-biotic every day though that does contain gelatine in the capsules, I try not to think about it too much as it grosses me out a bit!
  • Options
    I'd say put your health first - Jews & Muslims might be in the same position not knowing which animal the gelatin comes from .. but I think many would put health first.

Also some medicines / supplements might work better in oil / capsule form then a pill.
  • Options
    I take capsules with geletine in. You can request ones without at the doctors though, they often have different types so its not a problem
  • Options
    I try to avoid animal gelatine, even though I'm not veggie, where possible, but when its come to medicines (not vitamins as I can get those gelatine free quite easily) I will put my health first.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone :) as much as I feel sorry for the animals, I think my health with have to come first on this one. As the other half would say, it's dead anyway so you might as well use it....eww still.

xXx
  • Options
    Good call :thumb:

And don't feel guilty, your health is more important