Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Energy slump after lunch

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been finding lately that just after having my lunch at work my energy levels are taking a serious nosedive. I'm feeling really sleepy and yawning away and finding it hard to focus and concentrate. I try to eat fairly healthily - today I had half a pack of cous cous followed by an Activia yoghurt - but it doesn't seem to help. I don't want to rely on caffeine etc - can anyone suggest some energy-boosting lunches that are work-friendly and not expensive?

Comments

• Options
    Do you have breakfast and a snack between then and lunch? Maybe g_angel or goaway could help.
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    I've been finding lately that just after having my lunch at work my energy levels are taking a serious nosedive. I'm feeling really sleepy and yawning away and finding it hard to focus and concentrate. I try to eat fairly healthily - today I had half a pack of cous cous followed by an Activia yoghurt - but it doesn't seem to help. I don't want to rely on caffeine etc - can anyone suggest some energy-boosting lunches that are work-friendly and not expensive?

Straight to the point, that doesn't sound like a lot of food. Healthy doesn't mean eating next to nothing!!

... and yes, need answers that Lea asked.
  • Options
    Is it just that eating makes you sleepy? I sometimes find it hard to concentrate after lunch because I always want to go and take a nap! But... perhaps that's just me wanting to avoid my coursework or something!
  • Options
    Sorry, should have put a bit more info. I also had cereal with a banana for breakfast at about 8.30, and a pack of salt & vinegar snak-a-jacks at about 11ish. I'd had two cups of tea and a glass of water by then too. It's just strange as I felt instantly tired after lunch having felt fine the rest of the day and have noticed this a few times recently so was wondering whether there was something more energy-boosting I could have for lunch.
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Sorry, should have put a bit more info. I also had cereal with a banana for breakfast at about 8.30, and a pack of salt & vinegar snak-a-jacks at about 11ish. I'd had two cups of tea and a glass of water by then too. It's just strange as I felt instantly tired after lunch having felt fine the rest of the day and have noticed this a few times recently so was wondering whether there was something more energy-boosting I could have for lunch.

Add some fruit into your lunch. A couple of pieces should get you going.
  • Options
    OK, cheers. I usually do eat more fruit actually now I think about it, just haven't stocked up this week. I'll pick some up tonight.
  • Options
    Also, how about some raw veg to nibble on? Nice clean carbs for you.
  • Options
    Yeah, I keep meaning to do that. I love raw veg, especially carrots, celery, and mushrooms (especially mushrooms, I eat them whole :blush:) Any others that are good raw? I can't think of anything, but I'm sure there are.

Ooh, I could have cherry tomatoes too :yum:
  • Options
    I walked into a meeting room yesterday where someone had clearly been doing some kind of interactive workshop and had done a graph (Time accross the bottom energy up the side) on which people had put up how much energy they had throughout the day - anyway every single person without fail had put a dip in energy after lunch - so i wouldnt' feel too bad - maybe its just the digesting process that makes one sleeepy

zzzzzz
  • Options
    Be sure to get enough fluids throughout the day, dehydration is often a reason why people feel a bit sleepy in the afternoons. Aside from that, I tend to snack on nuts/raw veg+hummus/wholemeal sandwich with meat/spinach etc in the mid afternoon. Well, rather than lunch and a snack afterwards, I think of it as two lunches :D
  • Options
    Feeling a bit sleepy is part of the digestion process, to make you sit still, which is why naps after lunch are an important part of some cultures.

As has already been advised, keep hydrated (water not tea) and try and eat slow-release carbs like raw vegetables and fruit. If you eat processed carbs at lunch (white bread, white pasta) this can cause a sugar rush and a sugar drop, causing sleepiness.
  • Options
    Argh I just ate a load of couscous and now I'm full and I'm feeling so sleepy! I seriously want a lie down! It should be the law to have a nap after lunch
  • Options
    Maybe it's the couscous then, as that's what did it for me too?!

Today I had my usual muesli and banana for brekkie, snack-a-jacks at 11ish, then for lunch I've had almost a whole pack of carrot sticks with some caramelised onion houmous :yum:, a large fruit salad and an Activia yoghurt plus I've had plenty of water and guess what? So far, still not sleepy... :)
  • Options
    YAY!

For reference, Tesco are doing 3 for 2 on various freshly prepared vegatable packets (sugar snap, carrots, carrots/cauliflower/brocolli mix etc).

Oh, and yes, cous cous is quite heavy, I find.
  • Options
    Are they? Damn, just came back from there. I'll have a look tomorrow. The carrot sticks and houmous were so tasty and have really filled me up. Unfortunately, being wide awake in the office means I have no excuse for not working... :grump:
  • Options
    Bananas are good for energy, also make sure you are getting enough sleep as its easy to confuse lack of energy because of what you've eaten with lack of sleep or quality of sleep.