Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

weight gain and contraceptives

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey,

I'm currently on the depo injection which works brilliantly except I've gained loooads of weight (like a stone and a bit) since being on. Does every body get this? Does your weight eventually go back down? I'm finding that I'm hungry ALL the time from this injection. I'm seriously considering coming off it just because of this weight thing.

Any comments/suggestion/advice would be welcomed. :)

Comments

• Options
    I think weight gain is listed as potential side effects of all hormonal contraception, and iirc whenever I've talked to doctors/nurses about it they have said it is due to increased appetite rather than the contraception itself literally making weight go on. How long have you been on the injection?
  • Options
    I have been on the depo injection for nearly 2 years now and have not experienced any weight gain from it.
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    I think weight gain is listed as potential side effects of all hormonal contraception, and iirc whenever I've talked to doctors/nurses about it they have said it is due to increased appetite rather than the contraception itself literally making weight go on. How long have you been on the injection?

yeah I know its the increased appetite but I'm one of those that if I'm hungry I'm hungry! especially being a student, food rules my life lol

Been on the injection around 9 months now? Tried exercising regularly but weight just doesn't shift and its really bugging me.

Do you know if it balances itself out eventually?
  • Options
    hormonal contraceptives make me put on loads of weight too, and its not increased appetite. When i came off the pill, i lost a stone in a few weeks without even doing anything. it just fell off. Hormones DO have a tendency to change metabolism as well as appetite, although it isnt the same for everyone of course.
  • Options
    I was on the depo for about...6 years in total, and in the first two i didnt put on too much weight but then eventually ended up having put about a stone on. came off it, and the weight disappeared like nobody's business. it's not all about increased appetite either, im generally still eating hte same as i was then.

now got a coil, and had no weight gain :D yay
  • Options

now got a coil, and had no weight gain :D yay

The doctor suggested I get the coil but I'm a bit weary of it. Didn't you find it intrusive?
  • Options
    yeah the coil is a bit horrid to get put in, but its worth it for the hasslefreeness of the next 5 years
  • Options
    yeah it cained to get it put in, but apart from getting used to it pains, it's generally good. don't even know it's there most of the time!
  • Options
    |Don't the hormones fool your body into constantly thinking it's at one point in your mestrual cycle? Well, we all know we can weigh quite differently at different times during the cycle, water retention, bigger boobs etc. I think I gained about a stone on the injection.
  • Options
    bang goes me getting the injection...
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    bang goes me getting the injection...
    I haven't put on weight! Not more than a few pounds, anyway, and that could easily be attributed to the fact that I've started work again and the prospect of free food is too easy to pass up ;o.
  • Options
    how long have you been on it?

it's true, it's different for everyone, and don't come looking on the net for experiences cos you'll only hear the horror stories, the ones who find that it works don't feel the need to shout about it...
  • Options
    how long have you been on it?

About two weeks....ish. I haven't had any of the side effects yet though.
  • Options
    on the injection, nothing happened for me withing two weeks. it's not an immediately noticeable thing, it happens verrry gradually over a long period of time.
  • Options
    depo provera made me want to top myself. honestly, worst depression ever. 3 months of hell till it wore off
  • Options
    depo provera made me want to top myself. honestly, worst depression ever. 3 months of hell till it wore off
    Really?

Maybe I am getting side effects then :|.

If I go on the implant after will it do the same?
  • Options
    i dont know Franki, ive never had the implant, but at least with the implant you can get it removed fairly quickly if you hate it
  • Options
    i dont know Franki, ive never had the implant, but at least with the implant you can get it removed fairly quickly if you hate it
    That's true.

We'll see how the injection affects my periods first methinks.
  • Options
    for me: apparently i was a bitch when i was on the injection (not that i noticed it really), when i went on the pill i was soooo emotional and to a point snappy (which i did notice myself) and on the coil, i've not had anything major.

It's a different amount of hormone and in some cases different hormone interacting with our bodies in different ways. so who can tell. eventually you will find hte one perfect for you :) xx
  • Options
    for me: apparently i was a bitch when i was on the injection (not that i noticed it really), when i went on the pill i was soooo emotional and to a point snappy (which i did notice myself) and on the coil, i've not had anything major.

It's a different amount of hormone and in some cases different hormone interacting with our bodies in different ways. so who can tell. eventually you will find hte one perfect for you :) xx
    Did you ever try the implant?

That was my original intention but when I saw the doctor he said that in 1/3 of women it can make you bleed constantly so that's why he suggested the injection.
  • Options
    Go on the contraceptive patch. Works wonderfully and you can control your period cycles with no fuss.

I didn't gain any weight nor have mood swings. They stay on like a plaster, I usually put mine on the top of my thigh. You keep them for a week at a time plus it comes with a pamphlet chart on how to remember when to change.

On Depo, I got 3months worth of PMS, spots, on the week where I kept pushing and pulling my ex when I needed an injection, put on 2 stone and when I came off my periods came almost weekly to fortnightly (really heavy) until I went onto this patch.

Plus, almost 70% of women on Depo put on weight.

I'm not on anything at the moment as there's not anyone to stop any babies from, ha. But my periods are more than regular since coming off the patch.

Hail the patch! Ovra, we loveya.
  • Options
    ooo hadnt thought of the patch.... :)
  • Options
    is the patch progestogen, or is it oestrogen too?