Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

before and after the 10p tax band

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm unsure what exactly happened. now as far as I was given to understand before you were not taxed for the first 5000 £ you earnt and from 5000 to 11000 you paid 10 % tax, so with the new law what has happened ? do we still have the first 5000 tax free or is the whole 11000 range set at 20 % tax ?

I'm just trying to figure how the gov rekon we can be compensated by 120 £ and some rekon the damage is 250. I'm paying 20 % tax on all I earn and in that case i loose about 1500 £ a year (compared to the rates i staed above), is there something screwy somewhere ?

I worked for one month at xmas and paid no tax at all

Regards
Simon

Comments

• Options
    The tax free threshold has been increased from £5400 (ish) to about £6000 to compensate those that got hit by the abolishion of the 10p tax rate. So previously, you paid 10p on £5400 to £11000 (or whatever it was), now you pay 20% on £6000 to about £35000. Although if everyone benefits from this increase for £5400 to £6000, then they're going against the very reason for abolishing the 10p tax rate in the first place. It's all very bizarre to me.
  • Options
    so we are not taxed for anything under 6000 ? in that case I'm being mistaxed I'm paying 40 £ on 200 £ a week someone is conveniently messing up ! I'd better get it sorted. and yea your right it seems that we are back to square one again anyway so what was the point ? ecept that of course the rich benefit and the poor loose out and its the poor that work theur asses off just to survive and have little time to protest.
  • Options
    Ah no, I've just read up on it. The threshold for the 40% tax band has gone down by £1200, so anything you earn above £34800 will be taxed at 40% rather than around £36k as it was previously. So there's a sort of middle ground of people that are still better off by the £600 increase in threshold. And yeah, that sounds like you're being taxed wrong.

Incidentally, these tax changes aren't coming in until September, when you should get your £60 back from the past 6 months, and then you'll be taxed £10 less a month for the rest of the tax year.
  • Options
    yea I just phoned the tax office and they recomended that I fill out a p65 thing is i think i was wrongly taxed on another job I did for 3 weeks with yet another agency I don't know how i stand on that i guess casue as usual someone didn't give me the right information I'll have to waste a lot of time and "hope " I get a refund.....
  • Options
    You used to get a tax free amount, then were taxed 10% on the next 2k or something, then 22% after that

Now its currently 5400, get taxed 20% after that

with the tax allowance going up in september

when you get tax free on your first 5.4k, you dont just earn that amount and then start paying tax, its decided up into about £100 a week or something, and you pay 20% onanything over that, though if some weeks you dont work, it means you get taxed a bit less when you earn over that £250

http://www.listentotaxman.com/
  • Options
    yes quite I'm getting 204 £ a week and paying 20 % on all of it basically I'm being taxed by twice the amount, what I don't understand is if this is the same law for all why do I have to go and fill out a form it should come automatically but then i suppose thats very convenient I forget/don't know all the rules and get wacked ! and the gov get more tax.

so while the gov endorses agencies its quite all right for the agency to totaly turn a blind eye on what we are entitled to I now have to chase up 2 agencies and get it sorted i wonder how many others out there are loosing out because its a long winded thing and gets a bit complicated when theorectically you could work every half day of the week for a different agency. The last time I worked directly for an employer he saw to it that i was taxed correctly (and its only really because of this I wondered why all of a suden i was being clobered).

I even phoned the last agency up and aked a clarification of what was being deducted from my wages and even then it escaped him that i was being screwed but then he didn't even send me a payslip !

FUCK agencies fuck them all thats all they do to us ! now its MY mess to clear up ! I think I'll go and bill the agency for my time I'm sure they'd do the same if i slipped up !

oh and its very nice to get taxed FIRST and then have NI deducted so basically we pay 20 % more NI than we think !
  • Options
    Tax and national insurance are two different things.

20% is the correct amount of tax

you need to make sure you are not on the BR tax code
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »

you need to make sure you are not on the BR tax code

yes I'm on just that !

what I,m saying is I get 204 £ first I get taxed for it then 10 £ is taken in NI si I paid 2 £ tax on money i was not really given anyhow, why not deduct the 10 £ and then tax me ? of course 8 £ a month for all the people in england (and I guess the more you earn the more you pay in NI) thats a good little money spinner
  • Options
    yes I'm on just that!
    The BR tax code is basically another term for emergency tax. You'll often find yourself paying that when you've just started a new job, with the company having had insufficient time to get the right tax code for you. You need to get yourself onto the right tax band as soon as possible, otherwise you will be paying too much tax. However, as soon as you are on the correct band, you should receive a refund of everything that you overpaid during your period on the emergency tax.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    However, as soon as you are on the correct band, you should receive a refund of everything that you overpaid during your period on the emergency tax.

Only after P60s are given out, which is around April.
  • Options
    yes but why the hec did the agency not get me to fill out the correct paper work (P65) or even ask for a P45 ? they don't really give a hang all they seem to care for is their cut. I've also got to chase up another agency I worked for for 3 weeks as we are talking 60-80 £ loss there I think and I even rang that dick head to ask him about the deductions and even then he didn't think of it (or care it seems) I didn't even get a payslip from them. so now I have to sort it out as if I don't have better things to do with my spare time !

if the law for everyone is 5400 £ allowance all they have to do is give it right ? its my bank i need to tell if I'm working or not so that thety can calculate wether or not i pay tax on interest the stupid flipping employer (the angency) knows dam well that I'm working and what they pay me, like i said I spotted the problem if it was up to them I'd be paying twice the tax for ever more
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Only after P60s are given out, which is around April.

yea I know i'll not see the money for a bit typical I think I should charge interest and for the time it takes to sort it out ! they are all so helpful to get you into the job and then thats that they couldn't care a hooping who after that I'd probably get more info out of the jon centre if anyone still uses it to find workers
  • Options
    What's the bank got to do with it?
  • Options

If you had intrest paid gross of tax before you need to tell them so you can interest paid after tax is dedected (apart from ISA/Tessa products and the like).

Its your money and your pay, quit wingeing and get your tax sorted, it wont always sort itself out on its own.
  • Options

they ask you to tell them wether or not you work so that if you don't they say aha ! you don't pay tax then please fill out "this" form its a pity other organisations are not so helpful !

yea I've got so sort it out all I'm saying is as far as i know we all get the same 5400 £ allowance free of tax so why do we all have to make specific arrangements ? why can't it just be automatic ? I wasn't taxed for 4 weeks work over xmas but i think thats because my employer (I worked directly for) was commited to his staff and ensured that everything was set out right, he said to me don't worry you won't have to pay tax etc.
  • Options
    they ask you to tell them wether or not you work so that if you don't they say aha ! you don't pay tax then please fill out "this" form its a pity other organisations are not so helpful !

yea I've got so sort it out all I'm saying is as far as i know we all get the same 5400 £ allowance free of tax so why do we all have to make specific arrangements ? why can't it just be automatic ? I wasn't taxed for 4 weeks work over xmas but i think thats because my employer (I worked directly for) was commited to his staff and ensured that everything was set out right, he said to me don't worry you won't have to pay tax etc.

Because when you start a job they don't know how much tax you've paid previously or if it's your only job and so on. It's down to you to give employers that information when you start a job, otherwise it takes tax offices tracking down your tax records for the year and sorting it out after a while. Thats life...if you don't have the paper work to prove things when you start a job or fill in the paper work you've only got yourself to blame and so quit complaining!

As for the amount of tax you're paying it doesn't sound that far out. You should be paying about £17 tax and £11 NI each week on your wage.
  • Options
    I'm paying 40 £ tax !, yea sorry I forgot its normal the employer choosses to use an agency so I get paid the absolute minimum the agency gets their nice little peice of the cake just for making a phone call and they don't even have the decency to check with me my tax data but in their adverts they will tell you all about their high standards and concern for getting you the right job bla bla bla I forgot a bit of going that extra mile to check things are all ok and everyone is sorted does not exist anymore. it does have on my CV that i moved back from Italy only 8 months ago but then who cares
  • Options
    I've worked for loads of agencies and after a maximum of the first couple of weeks I've been on the right tax code if not from the beginning if I've bothered to fill in the right forms. It's down to you simple as really...always the way - it's your priority not your employers to make sure that you get the right tax code...they do as you tell them really!
  • Options
    Part of the price the agency receives form the compmanya nd why they choose to use them is that they'll deal with all the payroll and accounting and stuff for them.
    Makes things a lot easier for the company and they don't ahve to go hunting around either for people.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    I've worked for loads of agencies and after a maximum of the first couple of weeks I've been on the right tax code if not from the beginning if I've bothered to fill in the right forms. It's down to you simple as really...always the way - it's your priority not your employers to make sure that you get the right tax code...they do as you tell them really!

from what I remember I did fill out forms with them for tax purposes but then its to much to ask that a) another agency branch gets all that info b) that they even care to put it all through correctly. then of course as i had to register twice with the same agency I forget now if i filled them out a second time.

Agencies are used from what I understand because its more difficult to sack someone but if they are with an agency its agreed that its on a day to day basis (officialy) in my case the employer wants to try me out before taking me on. It seems that people with common sense are few and far between thats all it takes to do my job
  • Options
    A colleague of mine thought that the Government was planning to withdraw 10p coins from circulation...

We're a bright bunch in the City :thumb:
  • Options
    yea especially when they get you to fill the form and then say "screw you" all I can say is people are useless bloody useless
  • Options
    A colleague of mine thought that the Government was planning to withdraw 10p coins from circulation...
    I'd prefer if they withdrew 1p and 2p coins from circulation. What's the point of these useless pieces of bronze? You can't buy anything for 1p, so they just rest in your wallet or purse for months at a time. Abolish the damn things!
  • Options
    I'd prefer if they withdrew 1p and 2p coins from circulation. What's the point of these useless pieces of bronze? You can't buy anything for 1p, so they just rest in your wallet or purse for months at a time. Abolish the damn things!

and things will got up by 1 and 2 p infact by as much as 4p as it would be rounded to the nearest 5p, and just to jump on the ban wagon i bet it would be by 10p as the retailer will clain he wa not charged 41p but 45 and hist price is normaly 51 but now its gotta be 60 4p for the suppliers increase 4p for his own + round it up again to the nearest 5p
  • Options

They all add up, I have a big jar and every month or so take it to the bank and get a lovely £10 note for it. If you don't want your coppers I'll have them, it'll get me a nice takeaway.

If they were abolished it would be six and two threes. In Australia, which doesn't have one and two cent coins, you don't get change if you buy something for $9.99, so it costs a tenner, and this adds up over a year. But equally, you can use it in your favour too, e.g. instead of putting $10 petrol in your car, you put $10.04 and still only pay $10.

I don't know why you're swearing about your employer, Simon, the delay will be on the part of HMRC who are often slothful at getting tax coding notices out. I'm still on a BR because of the dumb fucks. For your reference I would expect your tax to be about £18pw on a £200pw wage. You don't get overpaid NI contributions refunded.
  • Options
    Taken from http://www.listentotaxman.com

This is for a £200 a week wage. Excuse the formatting:

Wage Summary Weekly
    Gross Pay 100% £200.00
    Tax free Allowances 52% £104.52
    Total taxable 48% £95.48
    Tax paid 10% £19.10
    National Insurance 5% £10.45
    Total Deductions 15% £29.55
    Net Wage 85% £170.45

I do find it funny how immigrants, the tax man, employers, agencies, the world, every man and his dog seems to be against Simon in pretty much all of his treads and posts...?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    They all add up, I have a big jar and every month or so take it to the bank and get a lovely £10 note for it. If you don't want your coppers I'll have them, it'll get me a nice takeaway.

If they were abolished it would be six and two threes. In Australia, which doesn't have one and two cent coins, you don't get change if you buy something for $9.99, so it costs a tenner, and this adds up over a year. But equally, you can use it in your favour too, e.g. instead of putting $10 petrol in your car, you put $10.04 and still only pay $10.

I don't know why you're swearing about your employer, Simon, the delay will be on the part of HMRC who are often slothful at getting tax coding notices out. I'm still on a BR because of the dumb fucks. For your reference I would expect your tax to be about £18pw on a £200pw wage. You don't get overpaid NI contributions refunded.

from the calculations above I am paying the right NI just wrong tax. I'm swearing about my employer because they just sit there and ignore it I had to register twice with this particular agency just because they fancied it so I think they changed their contract but they said it was because i hadn't worked for them for 6 months (which i had) so they did not ask me for tax info and didn't give a hang over it if I'm working full time for them what do they think my tax situation is ? I filled out the information on the first registration but am unsure about the second. theyt have not been helpful at all i left a message on saturday and they could have rung me up to say they couldn't do a p60 (or 46 I'm lost on this) form but needed my last P45 (which that other bum of an agency has not sent me yet) so they sat on their ases to let me come steaming over after work incase they shut becore I got there just to say "oh we need a P45" jesus christ what the fuck was the matter with ringing me to tell me that and if i didn't turn up who gives a fuck they got their cut thats all they care for !