Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A thread about people who ring call centres

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone here work in a call centre?

I had a woman recently ring me up and say "have i come through to the right number?" i don't know love, you tell me!

Me: Good afternoon Jobcentreplus Matthew speaking how can i help?
Me: ....
Them: Hello? .... hello?
Me:.......
Me: yes hello........
Them: ohhhh hi i just want to....

I've had so many stupid calls i could write a book about them.

I like the classic.....

them: "Hello i've just divorced my husband and my father died yesterday and i'd like to see if there's some benefits for me?"

me:we don't deal with benefits or legal advice

them:oh how strange (WTF!?)

me: heh

them: so you don't deal with anything like that?

me: no sorry

them: that's odd, what do i do then

me: i really don't know to be honest, we don't deal with anything like that

them in rude manner: hmmmmm erm ok thankyou very much bye... bye byee

The most recent call was one where a girl called me and said do i have the number for

Me: good morning jobcentreplus matthew speaking how can i help?

them: hiya do you have the number for camden civic centre please?

me: what do you mean the civic centre?

them: the civic centre

me: no sorry i don't have any nmbers like that

them: can you put me through to somebody who has that number please?

me: we don't have any numbers like that here sorry

them: really?

me: i'm in liverpool, i wouldn't have any numbers like that

them: can you just put me through to someone else or someone who has that number then?

me: well, no because we don't have any numbers like that

them pulling the phone away: what's the point in working for the jobcentre, dickhead

Me just as the phone goes down: WHO ARE YOU TALKING TO YA STUPID CUNT!?!!?

*puts head in hands*

That girl really fucking annoyed me for the first time since i'd been in this job. I'd usually get annoyed a little but laugh, this time i was pissed! Luckily no one heard me calling her a cunt!

Oh and another one i had on friday was a guy from london asking me to translate a job vacancy that was in fucking GREEK! what?!?!? he woulnd't shut up asking me if there's a facility for him to read the vacancy, asking me to put him through to someone who can help him, refusing to believe that we don't have some greek speaking robot or honoz the fucking greek chef in the canteen who i could go "HEY HONZO MY MAN, COME HELP THIS GUY OUT A SEC!"

so the convo ended with him saying "alright scousy boy, ya alright mate? yeah? and then muttering somehting as her went which i didn't hear but gathering was abusive.

Sorry mate, my greek is not so good!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks. :) you've well cheered me up :lol:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Working in a car hire call centre:

"Do they even have cars in Australia?"
    "Do you know where to get cheap flights from too?"
    "I want to return the car in Edinburgh, do you know the way to get there?"

Thicko: "I've told the car is in bay 28, but the numbers in the car park don't go that high."
    Me: "They definately go that high madam, where are you up to at the moment?"
    Thicko: "erm, 52"

"Do you know what time *rival company* is open until?"

"How do I start the car/open the boot/open the doors"
  • Options
    Not a call center but customer service... same thing really :p Didn't really have or at least remember any hilarously dumb comments. Just names. Like the poor unfortunate woman whose work email was phuckleberry... Ben Franklin called once.
  • Options
    Not call centre, but stupid customer questions...

When I worked at WHSmiths I had a call from a woman who had washed her bus pass and somehow wanted me to do something about it...
    It was also quite common for them to call us with address/phone number enquiries, like we were a library...
  • Options
    Used to work in credit card services as a student. My favourite time was when a woman wouldn't answer the security questions and then called me a nosy bitch when I said we needed that information before we could tell her anything about her account. Then she swore at me, hung up, and immediately rang back, asked to talk to a manager, telling them I'd used abusive language and upset her, and all she wanted to do was check her balance. THEY RECORD THE CALLS, GENIUS. I got a 10 minute tea break for that one :angel:

The other thing that used to happen a lot was people ringing up f-ing and blinding and calling us every name under the sun because there was a transaction on their account they didn't recognise. But it was one we definitely recognised, and you'd say 'have you accessed any...erm... adult services recently?' which invariably was followed by a 'oh...um...oh..I...thank you for your time, bye'. :lol:
  • Options
    I think any person who has worked in a job where they have to deal with the general public has plenty of stories of people's stupidity.

Working in a takeaway and people ordering a delivery and when i asked for heir address, they asked why?

People asking if the chicken fried rice had king prawns in it. Nope, that would be the king prawn fried rice, etc. etc...
  • Options
    honoz the fucking greek chef in the canteen who i could go "HEY HONZO MY MAN, COME HELP THIS GUY OUT A SEC!"

so the convo ended with him saying "alright scousy boy, ya alright mate? yeah? and then muttering somehting as her went which i didn't hear but gathering was abusive.

Sorry mate, my greek is not so good!

:lol: that's great.
  • Options
    i work in a technical suport call centre and you get all sorts because unfortunately stupid customers and computers don't mix

i once had a customer ring me wanting to set up their new router which usually wouldn't be a problem. the customer was polish and their laptop was in greek and they wanted me to be able to translate my isntructions for them so they could find the relevant section....

that was an odd call

that call ended in me recommending he asked a friend to call who had a better grasp of english - said very politely

as part of our packages some customers get a freeview box. one of my friends had a call from a customer to set up their system and they had somehow managed to connect the freeview box to their computer and the modem to their tv and wondered why they could neither connect to the internet or get the tv channels - bearing in mind each device comes in a box with its name and use written on the box and has instructions....

never figured out how they manage that one

this video, unfortunately, is what my job is sometimes like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLTsSnGWMI
  • Options
    Me: 118118 how can I help you?
    Customer: What number is this?

Me: 118118 how can I help you?
    Customer: I'm looking for a shop but I don't know where it is or what its called

Also people saying 'fucking Indian call centres' a lot. I'm British and I have very little accent, except maybe a tiny bit of Welsh. AThe one that wound me up the most was 'you're not from this country are you?'. It took every ounce of self control not to point out that she clearly wasn't from this planet

I worked there for a month
  • Options
    I love this one...

them: i'm trying to get through to xxxx jobcentre but i can't get through

me: they're probably just busy, you'll just have to keep trying

them: can't you put me through?

wtf??? as if i have some magic red over ride - put through button that i can use.

me: ok i'll put you through but it's only going to be to the same number

I like those calls compared t the others though, you don't give them the chance to act snotty as if i'm being stubborn and won't let them use my magical put through button :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I like the classic.....

them: "Hello i've just divorced my husband and my father died yesterday and i'd like to see if there's some benefits for me?"

me:we don't deal with benefits or legal advice

them:oh how strange (WTF!?)
    !

I thought one went to the job centre when you signed on?
  • Options
    worked in technical support for 6 months

old people were the worst :shocking:
  • Options
  • Options
    I had a call at work once that went

Me....."Hello **** Police Station"
    Them...."Hello I'm calling from British gas are you interested in converting to our homesaver package?"
    Me....erm, this is a police station
    Them.....so you're not interested then?
    Me....er, no.

Idiot.
  • Options
    today i had someone pay me in coppers for £2 worth of stuff, they just emptied a tonne of coppers onto the desk and looked at me expectanley
    I do that quite often... build up tons of coppers then spend it on £1-2 stuff at a newsagent. What else is there to do with coppers, throw them away? They really should be banned right now with lowest denomination 5ps - just round everything to the nearest 5 or 10p!
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    I do that quite often... build up tons of coppers then spend it on £1-2 stuff at a newsagent. What else is there to do with coppers, throw them away?
    Take them to the bank, donate them to chairty etc...
  • Options
    Take them to the bank, donate them to chairty etc...
    Bank - cannot be arsed with £2 of coppers when I have a job.

Charity - I used to give all my coppers to homeless people, but more often than not they look incredibly insulted nevermind ungrateful that I'm giving them a ton of coppers.
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    Bank - cannot be arsed with £2 of coppers when I have a job.

Charity - I used to give all my coppers to homeless people, but more often than not they look incredibly insulted nevermind ungrateful that I'm giving them a ton of coppers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiZlvr7FJIU
    :D
    Unfortunatly I can only find that skit with retarded animation :(
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    I thought one went to the job centre when you signed on?

Surely you phone the jobcentre plus to find out about benefits, where else?
  • Options
    I love this one...

them: i'm trying to get through to xxxx jobcentre but i can't get through

me: they're probably just busy, you'll just have to keep trying

them: can't you put me through?

wtf??? as if i have some magic red over ride - put through button that i can use.

me: ok i'll put you through but it's only going to be to the same number

I like those calls compared t the others though, you don't give them the chance to act snotty as if i'm being stubborn and won't let them use my magical put through button :rolleyes:

When I was working for the bank I had to do that a few times because the external number for one branch wasn't working :s, so they just transferred me with an internal number. It got reported as an official problem and only had to do it on two days.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »

Them...."Hello I'm calling from British gas are you interested in converting to our homesaver package?"
    Me....er, no.

Idiot.

I had this happen to me at one job all the time, making outbound calls automatically througha database and the police (or some other large company) hadn't been taken off. As their numbers were consecutive I tried to find out how many numbers the police (or whatever company) had so I could manually take them off without having to ring each one but... the people on the other end of the phone weren't very helpful about it so I pitched them for uPVC windows and doors... ah well, killed a bit of time and I did try to take them off first. funny.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »

Me....er, no.

Idiot.

LOL that reminds me my boyfriend accidentally rang the local police station to order a pizza last weekend. He was mortified when he realised
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    LOL that reminds me my boyfriend accidentally rang the local police station to order a pizza last weekend. He was mortified when he realised

I'd love a call like that, I'd so play them along hehe.
  • Options
    One that Matt Liverpool might like...

Client: Eeeh, they've stopped me benefit, fuckers.
    Me: Did they tell you why they stopped your benefit?
    Client: Eeeh, the fuck..
    Me: Please stop swearing otherwise I won't be able to help you
    Client: Eeeh, they sed ah'd not signed on and wohn't lookin fer werk.
    Me: Did you look for work?
    Client: No, ah din't, ah were too busy ter do it. Not fair, the immigrants get everything.
    Me: You're on JSA, you have to look for work. They're right, goodbye....

PS: To be fair to some of your callers, Matt, I know for a fact you're meant to refer to Community Legal Advice if people want benefits advice. Why don't you?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Having t go through all that automated shit automatically pisses me off, especially when it sends you round in cirlces and you get put through to somebody who then again puts you on hold.
    BT are pretty shit.

This guy in this clip has the patience of a saint. He was quoted .002 centsper kb yet was charged .002 dollers and every person he speaks to has trouble understanding the difference. I'd go mad.
    http://media.putfile.com/Verizon-Bad-Math
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Aye ya get all sorts of cunts ringing ya up, very repetative and boring but it's dossy and pays fairly well so not complaining yet. :thumb:
  • Options
    I don't mind the automated systems that actually help, but what does annoy me a bit is the automated systems that are utterly useless. For example ones where you have to enter your entire card number or phone number, and then you get put through to someone and the first thing they ask is "what's your card number?". gnarg.
  • Options
    We used to get a little old lady phoning in every morning to enter the GMTV competition, every morning we would explain she had dialled the wrong number but she didnt get it bless her.