Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Aching muscles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys

I'm a pole dance teacher and I recently took 6 months off due to injury. On Tuesday I got back on the pole and did about 2 hours work. This morning I've woken up and can hardly move; my arms ache so much I can't lift them above shoulder level, I can't drive, and the muscles around my ribs hurt when ever I move!

I know aching muscles are the norm when you've had time off, and I'm doing a gentle stretch every hour or so, but is there anything else I can be doing to get back to normal quicker? I have to teach a class on saturday and I'd quite like to be able to move!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi guys

I'm a pole dance teacher and I recently took 6 months off due to injury. On Tuesday I got back on the pole and did about 2 hours work. This morning I've woken up and can hardly move; my arms ache so much I can't lift them above shoulder level, I can't drive, and the muscles around my ribs hurt when ever I move!

I know aching muscles are the norm when you've had time off, and I'm doing a gentle stretch every hour or so, but is there anything else I can be doing to get back to normal quicker? I have to teach a class on saturday and I'd quite like to be able to move!

Try compressing/massaging the muscles. For example, if I have had a really heavy legs session and they're hurting baaaad, I use a rolling pin on them.

Otherwise, get plenty of protein and other quality foods down you to help muscle regeneration.

I also find that heat helps. Have a hot shower and you will probably find your range of movement improving.

I think perhaps you overdid it first time back ;) Seriously though, if you are currently unable to drive, I would thinking about rescheduling the class.