Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

over done it on the sunbed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Went on the sunbed for 12 minutes today and I'm bright red. I've had to cancel a date because of it and I dont want to look like a beetroot tomorrow for work!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Smother on lots of aftersun or aloe vera and don't wear anything tight today. I'd also recommend that you don't take any really hot showers/baths, just go for lukewarm. Hope the redness goes down soon!
  • Options
    :O

dunno, something anti-carcinogenic?
  • Options
    Exactly what i was thinking - i would even consider going to see a doctor if i were you - just to make sure you've nto done and permenant damage....
  • Options
    I can't believe the only thing youre worried about is looking like a beetroot at work :rolleyes:
  • Options
    :crazyeyes: 12 minutes?? Aren't you only supposed to use them for about 3 or 4 minutes at a time? I've never been on them so wouldn't know but that sounds like ages.
    Anyway, I'd agree with those who said perhaps get checked by a doctor. As for cooling the redness, in my experience with sunburn it will go in its own time and there's not much you can do about it, but make sure you drink loads of water, take lukewarm rather than cool baths/showers and moisturise as much as possible. A good gel aftersun with aloe vera might help too.
  • Options
    Try aloe vera gel can get it in boots and most chemists, i found that was the only thing that helped when I got sun burnt a few years ago gather it would be the same!
    I usualy only do 3 mins on the sunbed but managed 6 the last time!
  • Options
    Wisecrack wrote: »
    I usualy only do 3 mins on the sunbed but managed 6 the last time!

Well done? :eek2: quite literally...
  • Options
    Well done? :eek2: quite literally...

What I meant what how could you manage 12!! I'm only going on cos I'm going on holiday in August and not been abroad for nearly 10 years so my skin needs to get used to the heat
  • Options
    I've been on for 12 before...

Mostly stick to 9 but the odd time I go to 12. Dopesnt make much difference I dont think but I've got skin that tans easily and I very rarely if ever burn.

Any Ghostgirl, same as above really, tonns of after sun, aloe vera etc.

Hope it goes away soon. :)
  • Options
    :lol: You sound like me! Never been on one before and I burn easily but I went on for 10 minutes! I was bright red (only on half of me because I forgot to close the lid) for like a week, my bum looked like a baboons. Not going on them again!
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    You obviously go need to sit on the naughty step

Just to echo the calls for aloe vera gel and lots of aftersun. oooo eating tomatoes is supposed to helo
    Hahah, I've been on for 12 before so I didnt think it'd be a problem. Hmm. It seems to have gone down but everyone at work was like, you seem red, are you ill? etc etc

Hopefully tomorrow will be better! I dont think I've ever come home from work and taken my bra off so quickly!

Thanks to everyone except the rollyeyes idiot. xx
  • Options
    couuld have said yes you were ill and taken the day off! lol
  • Options
    aww poor you!
    Just put loads of cream on before you go to bed and tomorrow morning and try to wear loose clothing!!
  • Options
    I find it helps to put the aftersun / moisturiser cream in the fridge so it is nice and cool.
  • Options
    Hahaha, you plum.

I remember I went on the sunbeds and got prickly heat, was scratching like a maniac with heatspot patches eeeeeeeeverywhere and I was in tears the whole night standing next to a fan to cool me down as well as having a layer of camolile lotion on me, popping antihistamines, spritzing water on me with a plant spray thingy, haha.

I came on here the day after whinging about how NHS 24 wouldn't send an outpatients ambulance because the itching was THAT unbearable and everyone was up in arms thinking I meant an actual ambulance.
  • Options
    i go on for 8 mins twice a week i done 10 mins once and got sunburnt on my bum
  • Options
    hey, another good thing is to sit in the bath and smother natural yoghurt on, its soooooooooo good.

i had to do that when I was on holiday and went out running the first morning (cloudy) and stupid me forgot to put on suncream.

I was a mess.

any natural yoghurt works a treat, and if ye get hungry cran a spoon and some honey and yer laughing.