Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Day/Night Cream

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I currently just use E45 cream in the morning and at night do you think I should start using a day and night cream? I'm 26.
My skin is really sensitive so would probably only be able to use the body shop aloe vera stuff.

I'm open to opinions, I'm not very good with this beauty stuff!!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I've been using day and night creams since being a young teenage (14-15) and I think that now I'm in my 20's it's especially important to use the right skincare.

Elizabeth Arden now have a range for people in their mid 20's, called 'Intervene' which is superb.
  • Options
    Did you watch 'The Truth about Beauty Creams'? If you didn't, the jist was - don't bother.

Moisturiser is good (any old moisturiser - they're all the same) if you have dry skin, but if not, eat well, drink plenty of water and use sunscreen whenever you're in the sun :thumb:

I'm 27 and use a bogstandard Boots moisturiser once a day (when I remember) and my skin is absolutely fine. I personally think this day cream/night cream is a load of high-end marketing bollocks aimed solely at taking our money off us.
  • Options
    e45 actually do a face cream which i have used and found it really good, because the normal e45 was way too thickand gloopy for me
  • Options
    if you have dry skin, id recommend something like flaxseed supplement or evening primrose oil. It feeds your skin from within.
    Obviously use a moisturiser too though, but for moisturisers, as Kaff says, just use whichever feels good on your skin, because the difference between different ones, isnt THAT much
  • Options
    I'm 27 and use a bogstandard Boots moisturiser once a day (when I remember) and my skin is absolutely fine. I personally think this day cream/night cream is a load of high-end marketing bollocks aimed solely at taking our money off us.

:yes:

I use plain Nivea cream, or something with SPF but the way my skin looks largely depends on what I'm eating and if I'm hydrated. I'd second the oil suppliment, I use a fish oil one and that did wonders at getting rid of the spots on my arms.

Go with what you're happy with, most of the stuff marketed out there is based on pseudoscientific crapola.
  • Options
    yeah fish oils probably even better, but i hate the fact it repeats on me all day - even the capsules
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    :yes:
    I use a fish oil one and that did wonders at getting rid of the spots on my arms.

Just out of interest what spots to you have on your arms, are they the little bumps? because I have them and have been wondering what gets rid of them for ages :(
  • Options
    Wisecrack wrote: »
    Hi

I currently just use E45 cream in the morning and at night do you think I should start using a day and night cream? I'm 26.
    My skin is really sensitive so would probably only be able to use the body shop aloe vera stuff.

I'm open to opinions, I'm not very good with this beauty stuff!!

Thanks

Have you tried the range by Simple?

They do one for mid-twenties onwards called 'ReGeneration', I've used a couple of the products and I really like them.

Whilst I agree that you shouldn't have unrealistic expectations of these creams I think that a good moisturiser with an spf is a really good way to help preventing sun damage and I think we all agree that sun damage ages people a lot. I've got the day cream, it's great for sensitive skin and it's less greasy than suncream yet still has spf15 and if I wear any make up the make up goes on really smoothly over this cream. I've also got the eye cream in the same range. I don't have the night cream though as I have to apply acne treatments from my GP over night. I assume the main difference with night cream is that obviously it won't have the spf in and also I think they tend to be "richer" i.e. quite heavy if you were to wear it in the day but good to deeply moisturise overnight. The day cream was about £6 for a bottle if I remember correctly. I've got sun sensitive skin (as a side effect of the acne treatments) so I originally got it for the spf but it's really good so I'm still using it. I started using these products last year, I was 23 (I'm 24 now) as I noticed some very slight wrinkles appearing on my forehead.
  • Options
    cuppatboys wrote: »
    Just out of interest what spots to you have on your arms, are they the little bumps? because I have them and have been wondering what gets rid of them for ages :(

I had keratosis pilaris. I don't think anything has been clinically proven to get rid of it as far as I know, and I started taking fish oils at a similar time where my diet really improved, so I can't really prove if it was that, but it's always worth a try.
  • Options
    I just thought I'd add in to the thread that I also take an Omega-3 suppliment (a flaxseed one as I am vegetarian) as it's good for depression apparently. It's also good for other things but I'd not really considered it with respect to my skin until now but now it makes me even more pleased that I'm taking it :)
  • Options
    Yeah that's why I started taking them too, a friend recommended them when I was having a bit of a bad patch. Like I said, I can't prove it worked on my skin, but seeing the bumps go was a pleasant side effect :D
  • Options
    Yeah that's why I started taking them too, a friend recommended them when I was having a bit of a bad patch. Like I said, I can't prove it worked on my skin, but seeing the bumps go was a pleasant side effect :D

Yeah, I first heard of this at a CMHC talk called 'Managing Depression' at the Royal Free Hospital and the consultant seemed really keen on Omega-3 as a recommendation and said he takes cod liver oil himself to ward off depression :yes:

Sorry, I didn't mean to thread hi-jack...
  • Options
    I had keratosis pilaris. I don't think anything has been clinically proven to get rid of it as far as I know, and I started taking fish oils at a similar time where my diet really improved, so I can't really prove if it was that, but it's always worth a try.

i just googled that because i get little spots on my arms, thighs and sometimes my bum too :( Im pretty sure its that. Its not as bad in the summer as the winter, but im gonna try and be more regular with the ol' omega threes and see if it clears up now.
  • Options
    I've just bought the body shop alove vera day and night cream decided to.
    I used to have bad skin at the tops of my arms, kinda spots under the skin and dry not very nice and I've used bio oil and its helped sooo much!!! Also I think the sunbeds has helped clear the skin too (only 3mins a time though)
  • Options
    i just googled that because i get little spots on my arms, thighs and sometimes my bum too :( Im pretty sure its that. Its not as bad in the summer as the winter, but im gonna try and be more regular with the ol' omega threes and see if it clears up now.

It's surprisingly common among adults and teenagers. I remember watching the Food Doctors and the presenters said KP was down to a lack of fatty acids in the diet. I've often wondered if the 1980s low-fat era had something to do with it. Or maybe it's just not enough oily fish :D
  • Options
    im gonna definitely try and remember my flaxseed more often then!
    Apparently its more common amongst people with celtic heritage.

Thanks dad!!
  • Options
    Oooh it's also autosomal dominant. My mum never had it so I must have got it from my dad too. At its worst, it was on my arms, a little bit on my thighs+calves and my face.

Bit unfortunate that the website I'm looking at is bad.org