Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The abortion limit (following the IVF thread)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
More on the fertility and embryology bill.

Should we leave the abortion limit at 24 weeks, or is that too late?

I thought this was interesting, but I should make my position clear.

I do not think I would ever have an abortion but I believe fully in a woman's right to choose and in exceptional circumstances the 24-week limit remains appropriate.

Comments

• Options
    i think 24 weeks IS rather late for an abortion for social reasons. I try not to think about it too much as its pretty much a proper baby by then and viable out of the womb, and I think thats more than enough time to decide.
  • Options
    I'd really rather no abortions were carried out at all, but they absolutely should be legal and they should be available for women when they want them.

The limit is really a secondary issue, as I understand it only a tiny fraction of abortions happen that late and if treatment were quicker even less would.

The 200,000 legal abortions we have each year is better than one woman having a go herself at home.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I'd really rather no abortions were carried out at all, but they absolutely should be legal and they should be available for women when they want them.

The limit is really a secondary issue, as I understand it only a tiny fraction of abortions happen that late and if treatment were quicker even less would.

The 200,000 legal abortions we have each year is better than one woman having a go herself at home.

But that's a different issue - it's perfectly possible to say abortion should be legal, but there's a cut-off date beyond which only severe disability* or risk to the life of the mother should be considered.

Personally I'd just say you can have an abortion for whatever reason you want up to 20 weeks, for medical reasons between 20 and 24 and only in exceptional circumstances after 24.

That said I'm not a doctor and could be persuaded either way on the figures

*and it's arguable that severe disability shouldn't be a reason
  • Options
    budda wrote: »

Strongly agree.
  • Options
    Babies are only potentially viable outside the womb after about 24 weeks. This was the reasoning behind deciding that limit when it was set at 24 weeks, and the medical advances since then apparently haven't improved this. So I don't really get why it's being voted on now, or why it's being lumped with the other two issues. What has happened since then to bring it up again?
  • Options
    Abortion is not an easy issue.

Part of me thinks (quite extreme I know) that there should be no abortion limit. It's a woman's right to choose and a woman should have ultimate and total sovereignty over something inside her own body. And whilst this sounds extreme, lets emphasise that abortion isn't something any woman takes lightly - lets also remember that whatever the limit, late abortions are rare.

Being more pragmatic I don't see a problem with 24 weeks, there are cases where it's required. (Obviously there shouldn't be any limit for medical reasons).

If MPs wish to reduce the number of late abortions, instead of cutting the limit - they should reform the law to allow for abortion on demand. (Excellent article from the New Statesman which touches on that).
  • Options
    Based on the evidence, the limit should stay as it is for now. Nadine Dorries doesn't just want to reduce abortion rights via the legal limit, she just went for that one first because it's the 'easiest' in that late-term abortion polarises even pro-choicers. I suspect after the LLA, she'd want a 'cooling off period' then work towards chipping away at abortion rights, piece by piece.

I'm happy to debate about the legal limit, but reasoned debate with scientific evidence and not Samuel the magic foetus :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I thought it had to be signed off by two doctors after something like 20 weeks anyway? Can't remember, this is going back to GCSE humanities heh. If two doctors agree even if it is for social reasons then fair enough.
  • Options
    The HSA1 forms need 2 signatures from doctors at any gestation.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I suspect after the LLA, she'd want a 'cooling off period' then work towards chipping away at abortion rights, piece by piece.

I read that her ultimate aim is to reduce it to 13 weeks. Well, I can't remember whether it was her, or another MP involved in this. I'll try and dig out where I read it. I suspect most of the anti-choice lobby wouldn't be interested in stopping there though.
  • Options
    Part of me thinks (quite extreme I know) that there should be no abortion limit.

I've been watching Peter Singer a lot lately. That's not even close to being extreme. The guy makes a very compelling case for allowing infanticide. ;)
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    The HSA1 forms need 2 signatures from doctors at any gestation.

Well my suggestion would be up to 10 weeks only 1 doctor required then up to 24 2 doctors need to sign off. This means early abortions that don't need invasive treatment can go through quicker. Why would a blanket ban at 20 weeks be a good thing, that's what I can't understand?
  • Options
    Personally I'd just say you can have an abortion for whatever reason you want up to 20 weeks, for medical reasons between 20 and 24 and only in exceptional circumstances after 24.

If it was done in conjunction with measures to make early abortions speedier then I wouldnt have a huge issue with this. But I am curious as to why the move is desired, survival rates for babies born at 24 weeks hasnt improved since this was last debated.
  • Options
    its not that it would be a good thing or a bad thing. You can either have a limit or not. I think 24 weeks being the age of potential viability is pushing it. I cant think of many reasons why someone would just *choose* an abortion at 5/6 months into a pregnancy that they couldnt have chosen a lot lot earlier. I agree with the woman having a choice to either continue with a pregnancy or not, but 5 or 6 whole months into a pregnancy before getting rid - thats just insane and not that far off infanticide.
    I would still absolutely support a woman legally having the final say though, and my views here are just for terminations for non medical reasons
  • Options
    I'm fairly sure there was a documented case where a woman could claim depression and get signed off for medical reasons in America regardless. Not that they should have to lie to have a termination, but there we are.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure there was a documented case where a woman could claim depression and get signed off for medical reasons in America regardless. Not that they should have to lie to have a termination, but there we are.

There are parts of the US now where abortion is de facto illegal unless for serious medical reasons.
  • Options
    I've been watching Peter Singer a lot lately. That's not even close to being extreme. The guy makes a very compelling case for allowing infanticide. ;)

Does he actually make an argument for allowing infanticide?

I thought his argument 'for' infanticide was an argument for extending human rights to great apes... i.e. if babies/the mentally ill are protected under the law, then logically, a chimpanzee should be too because it is a more 'rational' being.

A-level RS was a long time ago though so I might be wrong.
  • Options
    read that her ultimate aim is to reduce it to 13 weeks.

I read that she personally wants it to go down to 9 :nervous:
    Well my suggestion would be up to 10 weeks only 1 doctor required then up to 24 2 doctors need to sign off. This means early abortions that don't need invasive treatment can go through quicker. Why would a blanket ban at 20 weeks be a good thing, that's what I can't understand?

To be honest, in a lot of places, the signatures just come down to rubber stamping, on the forms you cross out whether or not the doctor saw the patient, so technically, a woman might go through a process where the only doc she sees is the operating surgeon.

I'd rather there be a system where a woman can self-refer for a termination, and a doctor signs a form on a 'promise' that they will provide care; before, during and after the termination, as little or as much as the woman wants.
  • Options
    Does he actually make an argument for allowing infanticide?

He'd say that he "puts it on the table for discussion." He says that he sees no moral issue with allowing doctors and parents deciding between them after the birth to euthanize the baby. His opinion is around alleviating suffering, and he argues that the suffering in infanticide is no more pronounced than the suffering of abortion. He also believes that there is no rational argument for elevating human suffering above that of other animals, and so unneccesarily causing suffering to animals is worse than abortion or infanticide.

Here's an interview where he discusses a lot of his views.
  • Options
    I think the first thing we need to do in this debate is to look, as objectively as possible, at the evidence on the issue. I think that a reduction to 22 weeks may be justifiable from a scientific and medical point of view. However, it's my opinion that a reduction to 20 weeks would be much more difficult to justify.

The second thing to look at are the numbers having abortions. At the moment, the number runs at around 200,000 per year. The Sunday Telegraph yesterday featured a story claiming that nearly 4,000 women have now had FOUR abortions by the time they are 30. My understanding is that abortion can be a very traumatic procedure for a woman to go through, so the news that some have had so many is worrying. Did the people who wrote the original 1967 Abortion Act foresee all this? And why are there so many abortions these days? Surely it's not all down to women knowing that such facilities exist?
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I think it better to not get pregnant in the first place. Having said that I'm against contraception and I like sex. Never got a girl pregnant though. I guess most were on the pill.
    Perhaps the shockingly irresponsible attitude to contraception of men such as yourself is a factor in all this?
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Thing is, I don't mind if they get pregnant. I'd actualy support my kids.

How J? How would you support a child?
  • Options
    I think the numbers issue is just a thinly veiled way of passing judgement on it. What are they going to do, play abortion bingo so that a lucky 50,000 selected at random can have a termination, just so the numbers help people who have nothing to do with them sleep at night? At least it wasn't the Mail, the sheer gaul of them worrying about feral children and single mothers yet spit bile if a woman has a termination. How many people look at it from this perspective - 200,000 women or so weren't forced to continue with a pregnancy they didn't want. Is that such a bad thing?
  • Options
    if that's what you want to do, then why not do it? why leave it to randpm chance with some random person, I presume that if you don't know whether they're on the pill or not, you can't know what kind of parent they'd be to your child, which is irresponsible to your potential future child.
  • Options
    yeah, we're off topic but desire to have one is a good place to start. If you can see why that's important, ask about contraception before you stick it in.
  • Options
    Whatever happens, the Daily Mail won't be happen. Never tell them if you've had more than one or Melanie Phillips will come round and savage you for being a harlot.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I think the first thing we need to do in this debate is to look, as objectively as possible, at the evidence on the issue. I think that a reduction to 22 weeks may be justifiable from a scientific and medical point of view. However, it's my opinion that a reduction to 20 weeks would be much more difficult to justify.

The second thing to look at are the numbers having abortions. At the moment, the number runs at around 200,000 per year. The Sunday Telegraph yesterday featured a story claiming that nearly 4,000 women have now had FOUR abortions by the time they are 30. My understanding is that abortion can be a very traumatic procedure for a woman to go through, so the news that some have had so many is worrying. Did the people who wrote the original 1967 Abortion Act foresee all this? And why are there so many abortions these days? Surely it's not all down to women knowing that such facilities exist?

erm embryo viability hasn't changed in few decades for ones born prematruely under 24 weeks

personally my view is that the main sponser of the bill would like no abortion really and is going about it with the wedge method

my own view regarding abortion is that the embryo is part of the womans body, she has every right to cut off life support so to speak as long as it isn't sentient, that comes at 28/29 weeks, and viability is at 24 weeks+ so 24 weeks is perfectly fine

and im a big fan of using my own protection too
  • Options
    personally my view is that the main sponser of the bill would like no abortion really and is going about it with the wedge method
    Exactly right. Did anyone watch Channel 4's Dispatches programme tonight? In God's Name. Showing how a large part of this latest campaign is actually being lobbied by fundamentalist Christian groups (the abortion bill and the human/animal bill). They followed one of the main campaigners behind it, who's campaign was supported by Conservative MP Nadine Dorries. She told the interviewer that she thought the world was around 4000 years old, and when she was asked about where dinosaur fossils come from, she hesitated, and asked for the cameras to shut off. She said that she thought Allah was actually Satan, along with other sweeping and offensive statements towards muslims, and when they asked Nadine Dorries if she was aware of her "other view," the fundie asked for the cameras to be swtiched off again. Other prize quotes from the campaign group included "all muslims are the same." And this was just in the 20 minutes I caught of it. I'm looking forward to watching the whole thing on 4OD later. Based on other people's reports of the programme, there are also scenes of indoctrinating children, as well as the fact that they are being funded by American evangelical groups, and are using American lawyers to bring lawsuits against things that contradict their religious perspective.

These are the sorts of people that the Conservative party are giving a voice to. And their aims are worse that anything the BNP wants to do. I can't wait to hear Nadine Dorries' response to this documentary, because she really is in bed with some of the most odious fundamentalists as it stands. People who believe homosexuality and sex before marriage should be illegal, and blasphemy laws should be enforced.

It's on Youtube now. Prepare to see the sort of indoctrination of children that the modern Catholic faith schools could only dream of.
  • Options
    its not that it would be a good thing or a bad thing. You can either have a limit or not. I think 24 weeks being the age of potential viability is pushing it. I cant think of many reasons why someone would just *choose* an abortion at 5/6 months into a pregnancy that they couldnt have chosen a lot lot earlier. I agree with the woman having a choice to either continue with a pregnancy or not, but 5 or 6 whole months into a pregnancy before getting rid - thats just insane and not that far off infanticide.
    I would still absolutely support a woman legally having the final say though, and my views here are just for terminations for non medical reasons
    I love you.
  • Options
    Can't comment about the programme in question, as I haven't seen it yet.
    These are the sorts of people that the Conservative party are giving a voice to. And their aims are worse that anything the BNP wants to do....
    Oh please, change the record. You, of all people, should know that the Tory Party has always had a very wide spectrum of people in it, far more so than Labour. That's why the Tories have constantly been split on a lot of issues for many years - remember the way that Europe tore them apart for nearly a decade? For every one Tory who agrees with Nadine Dorries on this, you'll find another who disagrees. From the way you talk, one would be half forgiven for getting the impression you'd prefer some people weren't allowed to speak in this debate. I wonder why?