Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

sore throat from allergies/sinuses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Out of the blue last night my allergies and sinuses just started to kill me. After a while my throat started to hurt so bad from all the drainage. It has kept me up all night and still hurts today. I can't talk or swallow! I've gargled salt water a couple times now. Any other ideas?

Comments

• Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    You wrote this a little while ago - so I hope by now you're feeling better, if tired! I'm not sure what allergies you have. It is hay fever season - and TheSite has some information on it. Anti-histamines such as Benadryl and Claritin can be helpful, though they can take time to kick in - or a pharmacist could recommend other options. NHS Direct has a self-help guide based on your answers to a quick quiz - checking whether you might have allergies, a cold virus, or something else.

Apart from paracetamol, I've always heard gargling warm salt water is good to ease an itchy or hurt throat. Would be good to hear if anyone has any other suggestions - especially when it's the middle of the night, and you can't get to the shops.

Best
    Kirsten :)
  • Options
    Hot tea with honey and ginger - ideally local honey which will help with your allergies.
  • Options
    I've had the same thing for ages, and according to my doctor it's post-nasal drip. Your throat is aggravated by all the gunk your body is producing as part of the allergies and it just really hurts. Tea with honey and ginger is the way forward for sure :yes:.
  • Options
    In terms of the allergies, I take beconase nasal spray and that clears up my nose and throat very well!
  • Options
    Steamy hot showers can sometimes help too.

Can you get over the counter antihistamines? Those would be worth a shot.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the tips :) The sore throat is gone for the most part except for whats caused by the medicine. I find the sinus medication with whatever that ingrediant that they can sell on the shelf doesn't work and the only one that does is the pseudoephedrine, but it dries everything out so much and my throat hurts from that now :p I'm just hoping now it's not the start of a sinus infection. I thought it could be allergies as we had the windows open that night and it came so sudden but it hasn't stopped yet and my allergies don't usually act like this! Ah well, keep up with the tea and hot showers.

Any tips for my dry sore raw nose now :p Now I"m not a fancy food person, how does ginger come? I've only ever seen ginger root and ginger candies (which are amazing for bad tummies, fyi ;)) but I have a feeling you don't just cut off a chunk of that and stick it in the tea.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    budda wrote: »
    Hot tea with honey and ginger - ideally local honey which will help with your allergies.

Local honey would only help if she's soley allergic to local flowing plants. A lot of people are allergic to tree pollen, in particualr birch - from which honey is not made.

I get hayfever, have eat local honey for years and I never noticed a difference.
    Antihistamines are more effective in my experience
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Local honey would only help if she's soley allergic to local flowing plants. A lot of people are allergic to tree pollen, in particualr birch - from which honey is not made.

I get hayfever, have eat local honey for years and I never noticed a difference.
    Antihistamines are more effective in my experience

I agree, tablets are going to be more effective, but it cant hurt to eat some local honey - its good for your local farms if nothing else and is going to have more taste than the crap in the supermarket.
  • Options
    Now I"m not a fancy food person, how does ginger come? I've only ever seen ginger root and ginger candies (which are amazing for bad tummies, fyi ;)) but I have a feeling you don't just cut off a chunk of that and stick it in the tea.

You can either get crystalised ginger and pop a piece in your tea (the nicest way if you ask me), or buy powdered and sprinkle it in. Or buy the actual root, skin and then grate.