Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

attending "family" functions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so yeah right now im supposed to be at a christening but i kinda didnt go. and im getting gyp from my bf and mostly mum about it.

the christening is for my boyfriend's nanna's sister's son's baby. like wtf?! so i said i didnt really want to go because i know none of the people involved. my boyfriend himself barely knows the guy who had the baby and doesnt even know his wife at all, doesnt even know if the baby was a boy or girl. but he's going because its "family". and apparently, according to my mum, its very rude etc that im not going because its "family".

i have no problem attending family functions for aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and the like but when 1st cousins and great aunties's nephew's dogs are involved, i dont feel entirely comfortable, like, gatecrashing parties of people i dont know and stuff.

ugh. the fact that i really really dislike my bfs family doesnt help the matter haha. but do you think i was right or wrong in not attending??

Comments

• Options
    I would have gone myself but I've got a big family and even if you can't remember their names you go, it's just the done thing... Think a bit like the hobbits in LOTR lol and that's me :/

But I don't think you did anything wrong in not attending, don't think you should feel bad about it. Just say you had bad period cramps.
  • Options
    I think that if you were invited, then you probably should have gone. You might not know the actual kid, but it's presumably an opportunity for his family to get to know you more, so I reckon it would've been polite to go.

In future though, just say you have religious objections to Christenings. That'll get you out of any church function. ;)
  • Options
    i probably wouldnt have gone either tbh unless i absolutely had to.

Mind you, you say your bf really wanted you to go, and i might have gone if it was really important to my bf
  • Options
    I wouldn't have gone.
  • Options
    If I had been invited, I would have gone.
  • Options
    paperdoll wrote: »
    but do you think i was right or wrong in not attending??

Maybe he wanted to show you off to his family .. :)

Also he might be thinking big family gatherings are a good way to introduce you to the rest of the family you've not yet met.
  • Options
    well we've been together for 6 years so i think they all know me well enough by now hahah. plus we didnt get a specific invitation, its was just probably "Jean (bf's mum) and family"
  • Options
    If you don't know the person whose baby is getting christened, don't bother going. Well, that's what i would do anyway.
  • Options
    depends...if your bf wanted ya to go, maybe you should have gone

if not, i wouldnt be arsed about it x
  • Options
    I can understand where you're coming from feeling uncomfortable around all those people you don't know in quite a personal situation. If you didn't want to go and explained how you felt they have to accept that.

I'd probably have gone but I'm quite nosey and would want to find out about that side of the family, ha.
  • Options
    Family get togethers = free drink, free dancing, good banter! But not everyone likes getting together with families which is fair enough I don't think you have to.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Family get togethers = free drink, free dancing, good banter! But not everyone likes getting together with families which is fair enough I don't think you have to.

When it's your own family prehaps but I wouldnt be comfortable going to my boyfriend's distant relation's christening.
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    When it's your own family prehaps but I wouldnt be comfortable going to my boyfriend's distant relation's christening.

That's why I said I don't think you have to or should feel bad about not going.

Half of my 'family' I don't even think I'm related to, it depends on each person and how they feel about that kind of thing.