Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Think I just broke my tooth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm just having some lunch, and you know how with your tongue you feel around to get the bits out of the edge of mouth, well there is a massive whole one of teeth :(

I didn't hear it crack or anything but it's not the kind of thing you wouldn't notice! I'm not in any pain at all, I can't really believe this...

Do I need to go see a dentist ASAP or just wait until my regular checkup? :(

Comments

• Options
    Just had a thought, possibly could be an old filling I had thats fallen out? :(

It's about 3/4mm diameter circle so not insignificant, fortunately where it is its impossible to see but... I was eating rice! How does rice = holes in teeth??? Just brushed my teeth to make doubly sure it's not just some weird bit of my lunch and it's not :(
  • Options
    Well I'm thinking by the size (it's very noticeable by tongue) I'm going to want to sorting anyway. Phoned mum up to make me a dentist appointment when I get back that wont be for about 3 weeks though. But thats better than trying to go to an NHS dentist up north, cos they're are so few...

Things I'm worried about:
    - infection
    - doing more damage to it :(
    - looking after it
    - incase it does start really hurting :( (got exams and stuff next week!)

I don't know if it's even worth just nipping to the campus doctor or nurse for 5 minutes saying I have a dentist appointment lined up but I don't want to leave it to chance so could they look at it... probably can't offer much more advice than wash with saltwater though :(
  • Options
    3 weeks? unlucky. Just be careful with hot and cold foods as they might make it more sensitive. Keep it clean, a hole is more likely to gether bits after you eat.
  • Options
    The earliest I could possibly be back would be the 5th June but more realistically I'm looking at the 9th. *sigh*
  • Options
    you can get home filling kits now to temporarily plug the hole with, don't know how good they are or whether it's well advised though.
  • Options
    I might go to an emergency dentist in York because it seems there are a few, whether I can get in is another question, but at the least I'd like them to look at it and assess how bad it is.

I've had a friend look at it, it appears I've had a filling the in the middle of the tooth and the far corner has snapped off and I must have swallowed it even though there is no pain, it didn't happen suddenly or anything...
  • Options
    Get in touch with the uni health service or whatever your equivalent is and ask about seeing a Dentist.

The way the NHS system should work means that you should be able to see an NHS Dentist in your area as an emergency. Usually there's a phone number you ring and they sort you out an appointment.

In the meantime make sure you brush it well, if you can keep it really clean then it reduces the chances of infection and/or toothache developing.

It does sound like a bit has come off a prexisting filling, or part of the damaged tooth around the filling has chipped off. By the sounds of it, it's not the end of the world, but is probably worth getting it looked at by a Dentist if you possible can to reduce the risk of you ending up in pain the day before your exams.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I'm just having some lunch, and you know how with your tongue you feel around to get the bits out of the edge of mouth, well there is a massive whole one of teeth :(

I didn't hear it crack or anything but it's not the kind of thing you wouldn't notice! I'm not in any pain at all, I can't really believe this...

Do I need to go see a dentist ASAP or just wait until my regular checkup? :(

This happened to me, only I had a filling that chipped. They said my tooth starting gett bad decay and if yours is chipping without a filling, it may mean it's weak and needs to be seen right away to avoid further problems.
  • Options
    It does sound like a bit has come off a prexisting filling, or part of the damaged tooth around the filling has chipped off. By the sounds of it, it's not the end of the world, but is probably worth getting it looked at by a Dentist if you possible can to reduce the risk of you ending up in pain the day before your exams.

I phoned NHS direct and the nurse advised me because I wasn't in significant pain and because it didn't stop me doing anything in particular I should be ok to wait until I see my regular dentist in a few weeks time. She gave me the number for an emergency dentist to ring on monday to see what they say but didn't think it was an 'emergency' like if you couldn't eat because you were in so much pain or whatever. Which was kind of reassuring because right now I don't want to have to deal with it :p though I'm not too stressed about my exams, they're fairly straightforward and I can cope with pressure, it's annoying when there are 10 things happening at once.. :grump: (still got to sort out this university society next week!)

I've been brushing after every meal to reduce the risk of any bacteria growing as much as I can, so I mean I'm doing all I can it's just a case of keeping an eye on it now to make sure it doesn't get worse until I see my dentist.

Thanks for all the advice guys.