Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Epilation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have just been talking to my sister-in-law about waxing and she says she has moved on to epilation which she finds a lot more practical and certainly cheaper!

What are your thoughts? I have no problems with the pain of waxing but hate the time I have to wait for sufficient regrowth and it is very pricey. I am mainly thinking about my bikini line and underarms... has anyone got any experience with epilation of these areas?

She has recommended this Phillips Epilator;

http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/electric/beauty/8/1

Do you have any tips or recommendations?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    If you have no massive problems with waxing then I'd highly recommed epilating.

The new ones grab really short hairs so you don't have to wait for regrowth like you do with waxing. Long term it's cheaper than waxing, and lass faff.

Personally I'd suggest this one, basically the same as the one your sister suggested but with more bells as whistles yet cheaper as it's currently on special offer! I've just bought it as my previous one (well used and 6 yrs old was dying).

The shaver head is handy if you want a quick fix for something, and the precision cap is designed for epilating bikini line where you might not want the full width.
  • Options
    Oooh that's much cheaper than the one from Next... thanks!

I think I might give it a go - My sister-in-law says the first time was the most painful as it was full growth but if I use it from now onwards I should be ok as I have just had a wax.

At the end of the day it is only £5 more expensive that one appointment for bikini/underarm so I can't really go wrong...

Rachie... I get quite a lot of ingrown from waxing so don't think it would be too much difference but thanks for the headsup! :)
  • Options
    Worth getting an advantage card as well if you haven't already got one. You get 4p to spend in Boots for every £1, so that gets you £1.32 to spend on your advantage card as well!

I'd go for the using it from now on, when I forget and do it on full growth is the only time it really hurts. The funny ice thing on that one seems to dull the pain every so slightly too.

Oh, and this one is rechargeable unlike a lot of them which makes it a damn sight more convenient to use as it doesn't need to be plugged into the mains.
  • Options
    Do you really use it under your arms? I have tried that and it didn't go well because the skin is so thin and delicate. Maybe it was because I was using a bit of a dinosaur of an epilator!

How do you deal with the ingrown hairs? If i shave or wax or anything on my bikini line i get horrible ingrown hairs wich makes me think it's not worth it.
  • Options
    I make sure I exfoliate in the shower every day and it tends to bring them up to the top - as icky as it sounds it is quite easy to pick them out ;)

Being able to use it on the underarms would be the icing on the cake - I love waxing but it still only makes me hair free for a few days and then I have to wait at least 2 weeks till I could get waxed again!
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »
    I make sure I exfoliate in the shower every day and it tends to bring them up to the top - as icky as it sounds it is quite easy to pick them out ;)

Being able to use it on the underarms would be the icing on the cake - I love waxing but it still only makes me hair free for a few days and then I have to wait at least 2 weeks till I could get waxed again!

Hmmm thanks, as much as i love picking them out (it is quite satisfying) it can leave a scar for ages but anyways maybe i will try epilating again!
  • Options
    I have found the trick is to never dig... use exfoliation to bring the hair right to the top and then it isn't too bad :)
  • Options
    I am a serial digger! In future i promise i will try not to.
  • Options
    its the worst thing in the world! it hurts so much :(
  • Options
    I cant epilate! I always get waxed on my bikini area and shave my legs and underarms. Ive tried using epilators but they hurt me so much!
  • Options
    ive been curious about this for a while actually. my pal uses an epilator and on a week-long camping trip her legs stayed smoooooth while i turned into a hairy mary. on a scale to 1-10 whats the pain like? or what can you compare the pain to??
  • Options
    It definitely hurts! Although i admit i have a low pain threshold. I usually do one leg then can't get the courage to start all over again on the other one! Don't know what to compare the pain to, it just hurts. If you scratch or rub legs before hand to numb it it does lessen the pain.
  • Options
    I think when Ive done it I dont do it fast enough and thats probably why it really hurts
  • Options
    Sorry to derail a bit but does it hurt more than waxing? Can you do it when the hair is really short? I like the result with waxing but hate the in-between stage!
  • Options
    Hurts the same as waxing, but can do it when hair is shorter than would need to be for waxing.

In many ways its electronic waxing!
  • Options
    As a matter of interest, does using epilation make the hair thinner and finer as waxing is supposed to do?
  • Options
    Well I have just bought the one Scary Monster recommended - won't be trying it till I get home from holiday but I will report back!

I am hoping I will find it pretty good as I have no problems with waxing or plucking the hairs... fingers crossed :)
  • Options
    I find waxing a lot less painful, but i have it done professionally so they know what theyre doing
  • Options
    paperdoll wrote: »
    ive been curious about this for a while actually. my pal uses an epilator and on a week-long camping trip her legs stayed smoooooth while i turned into a hairy mary. on a scale to 1-10 whats the pain like? or what can you compare the pain to??
    100!
  • Options
    Epilation is a bitch!