Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Baggage Expenses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I flew from Heathrow to Zurich with BA, no problems.

I then flew from Zurich to Glasgow, via Heathrow, where they lost my bag.

At the time I was told I could claim for expenses, now they are telling me because I was returning to my country of residence when they lost my bag they are not liable for any of my expenses. Apart from anything else I'd argue that Scotland isn't my country of residence.

Does anyone know anything more about this? Are they right and do they get away with it scot free, or should they pay my expenses?

Comments

• Options
    My sister lost a backpack in year 2000, and that was on a return flight to UK too. She was made to claim it on her travel insurance and managed to cover the costs of clothes, cosmetics and a metal flask that were inside. I'm afraid I can't remember where she was flying from, but the main thing was that it was on her return journey, like your's.
  • Options
    Is it lost lost? Or just lost delayed?

Because they lost my bags on the way back from the States a while ago and after a few days they brought it round to my house by van all safe and sound.

On a related topic, check your travel insurance, mine basically said if I didnt have a receipt for every item they wouldnt pay out.
  • Options
    I was watching Dom Joly the complainers the other nigh and they did a bit on lost baggae. Apparently it's the responsbility of the airline or company that takes you onto your final destination. IE if you fly with BA to Heathrow then with Virgin to the USA and your bag is lost at Heathrow, then it is Virgin's fault.
  • Options
    It was BA all the way through to Glasgow from Zurich. What they are claiming is that because the journey ended in my 'country of residence' they are not liable for the expenses I incurred while my bag was lost.

I flew Zurich to Glasgow, and they lost my bag on that journey, then spent a week on a Scottish island with no luggage, so had to buy clothes to wear, toiletries etc, and got my bag back a week later, just in time to go home.