Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Crime among girls on the rise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The number of crimes committed by girls in England and Wales has gone up by 25% in three years - according to figures
Story

Crimes among boys in the same period has dropped by 2%.

Any thoughts on this? Are headteachers now bringing the police in to deal with incidents they would have dealt with in house in the past? (If so, I don't see why this would disproportionately affect girls). Are they drinking in significantly greater amounts? Have they suddenly realised that cosmetics are really easy to steal and worth a lot of money?

Comments

• Options
    I don't the specific reasons why but I'd argue it's because as we converge between the opportunities and rights for men and women being the same then the behaviour will also converge, hence we have seen dramatic increases in women binge drinking, stealing, being involved in antisocial behaviour and generally being a nuisance.
  • Options
    In the past we haven't seen girls significantly being involved in crime, however, recently we have - stealing things like cosmetics which are very easy to steal."

I swear to god if he thinks that teenage girls nicking cosmetics is something he's only noticed recently then he really needs to think about whether he should do the job he's doing...

I mean - that was an old fashioned storyline when it was included in grange Hill 20 years ago and Byker Grove 15 years ago and it was probably in Dixon of Dock bloody Green.
    Obviously there's some more interesting stuff in that report but that level of stupidity does undermine pretty much whatever he has to say.
  • Options
    In the last 3 years?
  • Options
    I've noticed an increase in "attitude" from girls, nothing major though
  • Options
    The Police now have targets for prosecutions, so things which might have got a warning in the past now go to court.
  • Options
    The breakdown of society is responsible for much of this, plain and simple. It was responsible for boys going off the rails for a long time, and now it's doing the same to the girls.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The breakdown of society is responsible for much of this, plain and simple. It was responsible for boys going off the rails for a long time, and now it's doing the same to the girls.

What in Gods name do you actually mean?! Surely you're a bit young and right wing to be blaming Thatcher.
  • Options

This doesn't make much sense. Society still exists, and there isn't really a biological difference between boys and girls so there's no reason why boys would be affected first.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    What in Gods name do you actually mean?
    I thought you didn't believe in God, Budda. The only person you've ever worshipped is yourself. :p
  • Options
    I thought you didn't believe in God, Budda. The only person you've ever worshipped is yourself. :p

Did you fancy answering my point?
  • Options
    What in Gods name do you actually mean?! Surely you're a bit young and right wing to be blaming Thatcher.

SG isn't right wing - he's def a leftie.

Society has been breaking down since the Romans, all we can do is patch it up again with a few plasters and send it out to fight like a broken down boxer
  • Options
    I'm not entirely sure why crime amongst girls is going up. I suggested family breakdown as one factor, but I suspect it's questionable how much of an influence this actually is. As for your comments...
    Did you fancy answering my point?
    Do you fancy answering my point about your self-worship? :p
    SG isn't right wing - he's def a leftie.
    Well, you've got to remember that I'm a former communist, so some of that Left-wing stuff has never washed off!
  • Options
    Do you fancy answering my point about your self-worship?

Strangely enough I was sticking to the topic.

So, how has society broken down, and what if anything can we possibly do?
  • Options
    Not quite sure what you mean about self-worship there? Sounds both personal and insulting - so please stay on the topic.
  • Options
    Never thought I'd recommend something from the Indie, but here's one article that I found interesting on the subject. Click here.
    Jim V wrote: »
    Not quite sure what you mean about self-worship there? Sounds both personal and insulting - so please stay on the topic.
    More selective moderating, I notice. You've allowed far worse insults to remain unchallenged.
  • Options
    And plenty of them by you - but mistakes and missing others comments doesn't make it any more acceptable - so please stay on topic.
  • Options
    Sorry, but "the breakdown of society" sounds like a horribly long term problem that would go no way to explaining a 3 year increase like this. Nor would it explain why crime among girls has gone up so hugely, whereas crime among boys has fallen. Nor would any of the other arguments, such as women's role in society, female gangs or binge drinking, unless someone can demonstrate that there has been a similar increase in these purely among girls in the past few years. For me, it's gotta be the way that girls are treated by the courts and judicial system that gives the impression of increased crime among a particular group. Unless this data only reflects a much longer-term increase on a similar scale?
  • Options
    Sorry, but "the breakdown of society" sounds like a horribly long term problem that would go no way to explaining a 3 year increase like this. Nor would it explain why crime among girls has gone up so hugely, whereas crime among boys has fallen. Nor would any of the other arguments, such as women's role in society, female gangs or binge drinking, unless someone can demonstrate that there has been a similar increase in these purely among girls in the past few years. For me, it's gotta be the way that girls are treated by the courts and judicial system that gives the impression of increased crime among a particular group. Unless this data only reflects a much longer-term increase on a similar scale?

I don't even know what "the breakdown of society" means. It sounds like one of those nothing-phrases that Call Me Dave occasionally comes out with in response to a stabbing.

"Oooh it's The Breakdown of Society. Vote Tory"
  • Options
    This doesn't make much sense. Society still exists, and there isn't really a biological difference between boys and girls so there's no reason why boys would be affected first.

Of course there is biological and psychological difference between boys and girls - don't believe everything they tell you in your gender studies class.
  • Options
    there isn't really a biological difference between boys and girls

lol

Did you miss sex ed at school? :p

ignore me, I'm being deliberately ignorant..
  • Options
    For me, it's gotta be the way that girls are treated by the courts and judicial system that gives the impression of increased crime among a particular group. Unless this data only reflects a much longer-term increase on a similar scale?

Exactly, the Police have targets to 'bring offenders to justice' so what used to be dealt with harsh words and a stern warning is now dealt with by charging them.
  • Options
    Never thought I'd recommend something from the Indie, but here's one article that I found interesting on the subject. Click here.

Which tells us nothing about the breakdown of society.

How has it broken down and how can we fix it?
  • Options
    I don't even know what "the breakdown of society" means. It sounds like one of those nothing-phrases that Call Me Dave occasionally comes out with in response to a stabbing.

Society's been breaking down since the middle ages. Still not broken yet. I blame the liberals myself. The liberals with their immoral hellholes such as Sweden and Finland. Sure, they have the best education, healthcare and crime prevention, and the lowest rates of every social ill, but they don't publicly hang criminals from trees. And I don't want to live in a society where filthy criminals aren't hanged from trees.
  • Options

To be fair all oppositions talk about the breakdown in society - Thatcher was talking about pre-79, Foot, Kinnock, Smith and Blair harped on about it during the 80s and 90's, Cameron now and in a few years David Miliband will be harping on about it whilst he's leader of the opposition.

it miracously gets fixed when the party in opposition changes to the party in power
  • Options

There are lots of biological differences between boys and girls. At the very least men tend to be more aggressive. What's being said is that girls also seem to be getting more addressive and becoming involved in crimes such as robberies and assault on a wider scale than before.
  • Options
    I meant there are no biological differences in terms of how easily influenced people are or how much they need society to not commit crimes. Yes men do tend to be more aggressive, but if girls are suddenly becoming more aggressive it can't be a biological thing because biological changes don't happen that quickly.
    Everyone's been aggressive at some point, it usually means shouting or at worst throwing some of your stuff around. Agression doesn't lead to crime.
  • Options
    I meant there are no biological differences in terms of how easily influenced people are or how much they need society to not commit crimes.

Everyone needs "society" not to commit "crimes". If we had no society and no law, most of us would be comitting what you consider crime. And there is plenty of evidence that men are genetically more prone to comitting crime than women - I think most people know this.
    Yes men do tend to be more aggressive, but if girls are suddenly becoming more aggressive it can't be a biological thing because biological changes don't happen that quickly.

This is a non-sequiteur. If girls are becoming more aggressive, it doesn't necessarily follow that the higher levels of aggression and crime by men can be explained purely by environment. Behaviour is a combination of various factors, genetic and environmental.
    Everyone's been aggressive at some point, it usually means shouting or at worst throwing some of your stuff around.

That's breach of the peace if it takes place in public.
    Agression doesn't lead to crime.

So people being aggressive doesn't lead to other people getting beaten up/stabbed/bottled?

Back to the point in hand, I reckon it's no great surprise crime rates among women are going up considering the rise of booze culture, but I'm not surprised to find it's mostly for very minor offences.