Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Salad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've never made a salad before:blush: always bought the packet stuff.

I want to make them, but dont kow what to put in! I know stuff like lettuce, spring onion, pepper, but get stuck, in the packets its just leaves! Anyone got any good smiple recipies?

Also what dressings are about that are not too bad for you!

Comments

• Options
    I'm making one tonight!

I usually put in some crispy leaf salad from Morrisons, cherry tomatoes, red onion, pepper, mushrooms and cucumber.

Drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, sprinkle of mixed herbs and then what my secret ingredient is....!

Zest of an orange. Just grate the skin of an orange onto your salad - give it a big mix and voila!

I'm having mine tonight with chicken kievs and chips! :yum:
  • Options
    i love caeser salad which is parmasen, ceaser dressing, lettuce and croutons.
    and bacon bits and anchovies :)

Dressings are easy. Usually 1/4 vinegar/lemon or lime juice or a combination of the 2, 3/4 oil. Teaspoon of mustard powder (can use ready made mustard) bit of black pepper. Put it into an old, screw lid jar, give it a good shake and chill for 1/2 an hour in the fridge. That's a good base. Don't use malt vinegar it's too strong (especially if you're going to add flavourings later, see below). White/red wine vinegar, cider vinegar, balsamic (though use a bit less if using balsamic as that's quite strong too). Fruit vinegars are ok, but best to use for a basic dressing with no added flavour as they're quite delciate in flavour and can be masked by things like garlic.

Flavourings to add. Crushed chillis (chilli powder is ok but fresh chillis are better), crushed garlic and salt (crush garlic and rock/sea salt in a pestle and mortar or use the handle of a kitchen knife/spoon and pound until it's a paste), honey, anchovies, whole grain mustard, fresh herbs like basil, parsley, chives, oregano. TBH dried herbs are a bit crap in dressings so i wouldn't bother.
  • Options
    I always just have a boring salad with a fun dressing and cheese.
    romaine or spinich, or both, roma tomatos, vadalia onions, cucumber

The last few days have been sundried tomato and basil crumbled goat cheese with a tomato bacon dressing (fat free, only about 15 calories I think, unless it is ranch or something ultra creamy I rarely find that low or no fat dressing tastes any different).
    I've got a paramasean pepper cream dressing to use next, just have to find some cheese that will go good with it.

And occasionally chicken or ham or some kind of meat if we had any left over from the night before.