Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

When your mother is bipolar....(long)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys

I'm a little nervous posting about this here as it feels like a betrayal, but it's now reached the point where I feel I need to talk to somebody who might understand where I'm at.

I'm pretty certain my mum is bipolar. She was quite seriously abused by her bipolar/personality-disordered mother and as a result has serious issues around the idea of being manipulated, controlled or dominated. I know that bipolar sufferers go through 'cycles' of mania and depression and this seems to fit. She's an artist and will frequently work herself to the point of sickness, working all through the night, often without eating, and being moved to tears by her own inspiration and creations. She has a real thing about being right, and will humiliate people by mocking them if their ideas/opinions differ from hers. She doesn't seem to be able to hear or respond to logical argument or explanations, instead trying to turn debates/arguments around into personal attacks on her 'adversary': "you're trying to control me" "but you're a bad person", or slipping into a childlike mode where she just stops listening and starts to do something else.

She also gets very very low and depressed, blaming everyone around her for the things in her life that don't work. When I was a child she 'opted out of life' (her words) for approximately nine years, during which she stayed at home/in bed, hardly ate, the house became a pigsty and I was forced to grow up pretty quickly on my own. She used to overreact to a lot of the things I did as a child - mistakes that kids make as kids used to make her so angry she'd scream and shout and tell me I was manipulative and a bitch, and then list all the things that were 'wrong' with me. Recently my parents have moved abroad and she went through a phase of calling me crying in the middle of the night, telling me she was lonely and that my dad didn't understand her and didn't love her, and that he was trying to control her.

For the past few years I have found it increasingly difficult to be around her, resulting in a very tense atmosphere between the two of us. I'll often snap at her or become very quiet when she's around, especially since during my recent treatment for depression I started to make links between my low self-esteem and self-doubt and her behaviour as I grew up.

She and my dad came to visit for the weekend and it culminated in a huge argument between myself and her; she couldn't understand why I was so distant with her, and told me that I was trying to 'bully' her and she 'wasn't putting up with it anymore'. I cracked and tried to explain to her how I felt, but she continually denied my memories of my childhood, belittled my reasoning and eventually started staring off into the distance, looking at me every now and again and saying 'sorry, were you talking?'.

It's resulted in me seriously doubting my own memory and feeling incredibly low and upset.

Because she's so terrified of becoming like her mother, she's never been diagnosed and nobody wants to suggest it to her because it seems it would result in nuclear fallout. I don't know whow to handle her anymore and I know that the way I react to her hurts her, but I can't figure out how to have a good relationship with her because she makes me so angry and upset.

Not sure what I'm looking for here exactly, just needed to vent, but if anyone has any advice/similar experiences, I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    Firstly just want to say that you are very brave for posting on here. I can relate to some of it definitely though my dad acted like this because he was very ill. Can I ask are your parents still together? Also have you spoken to your dad about her behaviour? Maybe he will be more sympathetic and be able to reassure you that you aren't going 'mad'. Though I'm sure you are right about the things you remember and if your mum has gone wrong even the most healthiest of people will find it very difficult to admit to their mistakes. Are you in therapy right now?
  • Options
    Thanks clementine.

My parents are still together; they split up just after christmas and then got back together again.

I have spoken to my dad and he agress that she might be bipolar but seems unwilling to take that idea any further. His take on it is: I can't change who she is, I can only change how I react to her. She won't become another person, the things that have happened have happened and there's nothing that can be changed there, so it's a case of working forward and trying to create a new relationship with her. Which is true, and it's a principle I understand and adhere to in most other areas of my life. I just can't see a way forward with this one.

I ended my therapy last week (ironic, huh?) and in all other ways I'm fine now; it's just my relationship with her that's really difficult to negotiate.
  • Options
    Hmmm I can see why. It's a really difficult situation. Confiding in your dad could relieve some of the tension from your shoulders and also may not make you as likely to get really angry with your mum. I wish I could suggest something else. Would your mum ever consider going to family counselling? I think if I were in your situation and it was getting to me then I would maybe email my therapist just to have a follow-up appointment to discuss it. I hope you find a way to deal with this