Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What have you had to give up in a relationship ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

What things have you given up while in a relationship? Things like hobbies which you no longer have time for?, or perhaps things due to religion?

Thanks
Andy

Comments

• Options
    nothing, if anything being in a relationship has allowed me to do much more
  • Options
    Hi

Nothing? ..... i doubt thats true. You loose an element of freedom for starters.

What about on religious grounds? ..... has religion ever been an issue in anyones relationships? I had a catholic g/friend ages ago who didn't believe in sex before marriage. How would people feel about that ??

Andy
  • Options
    lost the ability to screw around... but that wasn't really an issue to begin with.
  • Options
    back in 88 had to give up my collection of guns and shooting has the girl
    i was seeing didn't like guns or shooting by the way we were married in 92
    and divorced in 97 i wish i had kept my guns [sob sob!]
  • Options
    I havent had to give anything up really, I still went to footy, but I met him at footy so we went together:thumb: I went to college...... so dont think I have given anything up really.

He always said if I moved away to go to uni we would prob end cos he cant do LD relationships, and I always said if I am going to uni it would be away...... but I wasnt clever enough to go to uni anyway!!
  • Options
    Sometimes I have to compromise. Nothing deep just usually what we do/eat/watch on tv. We have stuff in common but I think we have different tastes which is fine..sometimes! But I don't give anything up!
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Why should either partner have to give anything up? Unless its smoking

Why should they have to do that? Tbh if someone I went out with hated my smoking so much that they wanted me to stop they should never have got with me in the first place. Rich has never asked me to quit (except for when we have kids, which is fine), even though I know he doesn't like it that much, because he knows that I was smoking when we first got together so it would be a bit hypocritical of him to ask me to quit.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I gave up my life - well that sounds dramatic.

I moved to the other end of the country to a place I knew no-one. But I couldnt be happier! :D
  • Options
    I was going to give up my life here and move 200 miles away.
  • Options
    I hate kissing smokers too. I had a brief thing with a smoker once, and never again. You just don't want to kiss them in the end.

You always have to give up something though. Generally other girls/blokes. It's when you have to give up stuff that you don't want to give up that you have a problem.
  • Options
    Andy_46 wrote: »
    Hi

Nothing? ..... i doubt thats true. You loose an element of freedom for starters.

What about on religious grounds? ..... has religion ever been an issue in anyones relationships? I had a catholic g/friend ages ago who didn't believe in sex before marriage.

Andy

well if freedom is playing on the 360 and watching tv when i want, then yes, but some things u don't mind giving up or doing less of. I much prefer being able to travel and do things with my gf.

religious grounds, no one forces u to get into relationships, why should it be an issue, respect peoples choices
  • Options
    I never 'had' to give up anything but I changed certain things to try to impress her more :). When you care about someone you want them to feel special and people feel speciall when they think you're making a sacrifice for them.

Like in that thread about the girl's boyfriend playing football too much... he shouldn't ever have to give up football... but maybe one day missing it to take her on a date would make her feel super special.

So yea, I've given up spending time with friends sometimes, or playing on my computer (which I do too much :p), but generally I am who I am and don't tend to stop anything outright. When you're with someone new you kind of forget how you interested you are in other things though, hell, for me I even started watching musicals! :pand dare I say, liking them... that's a pretty massive sacrifice!

On the other hand I've shown her:
    Star wars ep I - VI
    Robocop 1 - 3
    All star trek films
    All die hard films

..etc etc :)

I think it's the sign of a poor match if you're having to give up something important to you completely. As for smoking, well I'd try to avoid dating smokers, I'd never question their right to do so but I'd never like it. There is one girl I liked who smoked but... in the past now :( (I'm stupid and freeze up when girls kiss me) I think if you like someone something like if they smoke you try to ignore. If you're with them long term then obviously it might become an issue I mean for me I've just had so many relatives die of smoking related illnesses it would worry me, just recently my mum has given up and emotionally I feel better about it. But that would be my issue and not my partners...

I guess it's like people who have diametrically opposed political views. You can love the person, but not like what they do.
  • Options
    never mind
  • Options
    Andy_46 wrote: »
    Hi

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I must have never been in a real relationship yet! I'm so sad, how much I must be missing out on :(
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Just personal choice. I couldn't go out with someone who smoked. I once kissed a smoker and it was like kissing a cigarette :yuck: You can always smell it on people too and I think its disgusting. I always have done.

Also, unless my partner smoked outside all the time away from me, I'd be worried about the effects of passive smoking.

None of this matters anyway because I'd never go out with a smoker in the first place so would never ask someone to quit.

That's different though. I don't smoke inside because even I hate the smell of the stuff indoors. But it's an entirely different thing to not even consider going out with someone because they smoked rather than knowing they were a smoker, going out with them and then asking them to quit. IMO it's actually pretty rude. I would never quit because someone asked me to unless it was for a good reason (like when I get pregnant). Rich does say, "you are gonna give up sometime, right?" occasionally, but that's not the same as saying "you have to quit".
  • Options
    I could never go out with a smoker either. Fortunately my OH quite before we got together so I never had to nag him continually until he did :D

Oh and I gave up canoeing for this which is quite a big thing really and I do miss it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I couldn't go out with a smoker either. The idea that there are people who smoke bothers me a great deal. It's bad enough trying to keep my mind away from it when it's a friend doing it, I couldn't bear it with someone who was more.
  • Options
    I couldn't go out with a smoker either. The idea that there are people who smoke bothers me a great deal. It's bad enough trying to keep my mind away from it when it's a friend doing it, I couldn't bear it with someone who was more.
    Well that's fine. I can understand that. But you understand my point in that if someone was to go out with someone who they KNEW was a smoker when they first got together, it would be rude of them to then ask them to quit because they don't like it?
  • Options
    Well my new bloke's got me giving up being vegetarian..in the record time of 6 weeks...after 15 YEARS of no meat!!

Just baby steps, mind...a bit of chicken here and there, but still...that's a pretty massive deal!

What can I say? He's a very persuasive man...;)
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Well that's fine. I can understand that. But you understand my point in that if someone was to go out with someone who they KNEW was a smoker when they first got together, it would be rude of them to then ask them to quit because they don't like it?

Well it all depends on the way they ask, but in principle yes it would be rude :p. People don't dislike smoking just because it's something unsavory, there are a lot of reasons for it, just like some people don't like people taking drugs (and I know plenty of people who've got people to give up drug addictions in relationships, and both parties saw it as a positive thing).

But I agree that coming into a new relationship and demanding they stop smoking would be completely rude. But if it was me, I might drop hints :p 'have you ever thought about quitting?' etc.
  • Options

Mmm I'm not sure if it would be rude. That person may just not like it because it is damaging your health and so are worried about you. I want my mum to quit smoking and it worries me all the time! One of the factors is yes it's smelly but I want her to quit more so for her health.
  • Options
    Mmm I'm not sure if it would be rude. That person may just not like it because it is damaging your health and so are worried about you. I want my mum to quit smoking and it worries me all the time! One of the factors is yes it's smelly but I want her to quit more so for her health.
    Well that's different too, 'cause you didn't choose to be her daughter. But if someone objected that strongly to my smoking then I don't see why they would have got with me in the first place.
  • Options
    Well that's different too, 'cause you didn't choose to be her daughter. But if someone objected that strongly to my smoking then I don't see why they would have got with me in the first place.

cuz he loves u and doesnt want you to get lung cancer... :p but i think patience and dutiful nagging is the key with smokers..sometimes ;)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'm in the same boat as bunnie. I moved quite a few miles to be with my partner, hence giving up the life I already had. I'm happy, so it doesn't really matter.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I would actually rather die than eat meat again

I know thats pretty rude and obnoxious of me to say such a thing but I thought we'd already deterioated to that anyway

Mm, I could never eat meat and it's definitely not something I'd change about myself in order to have a relationship.
  • Options
    Mm, I could never eat meat and it's definitely not something I'd change about myself in order to have a relationship.

God no, I'd never eat meat to please a partner.

The funny thing is when I met my boyfriend he ate meat and I was a veggie. He started to like veggie food because I cooked it, and decided to give up meat after seeing some nasty videos on the internet. I actually tried to persuade him to keep eating meat and get it from a reliable non cruel source but he was adamant and never ate meat again. I always get the blame for turning him veggie though!
  • Options
    Never given up anything, because I've nothing to bloody well give up in the first place.
  • Options
    Lots.

Never again. Compromise is always a necessity, but I'll never let it get to the lengths it once did.

:)
  • Options

Indeed. I could never go out with a smoker.
  • Options
    My sanity a few times, and being able to get fucked and do whatever you want at 4am on a Friday night.

On the smoking thing, I've been with a couple of smokers and makes no difference to me. Only downside is that it made me more likely to start puffing away again just to be sociable :no: