Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Class b

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Government set to defy its own experts and upgrade cannabis again· Smith to cite concern over drug's increased strength
· But survey of GPs shows no links to mental illness
They were also told that the incidence of new schizophrenia cases reported to GPs had gone down, not up, between 1998 and 2005, indicating a weak link between increased potency and use in the past two decades and mental health problems.

Labour just lost thousands more votes ...they on drugs or what?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/may/07/drugsandalcohol.drugspolicy?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    FUCK.

Hope this don't drive up prices or something else equally as fail.

Idiots.
  • Options
    This wont make any difference what so ever to supply or demand for the drug. Use has fallen since it has become Class C, so how anyone can claim there is a deterant factor is beyond me.

The issue seems to be not with the higher strengths, but with the cannabis containing largely THC and less CBD. I've heard that some scientists are suggesting that the CBD helps reduce paranoia and other unwanted side effects which could lead to mental health problems.
  • Options
    All done to grab a quick headline. This is Gordon Brown "listening" as he claimed he would after the local election defeat? Maybe he should choose who he listens to more carefully, and go for experts on the issue rather than uninformed journalists.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    The issue seems to be not with the higher strengths, but with the cannabis containing largely THC and less CBD. I've heard that some scientists are suggesting that the CBD helps reduce paranoia and other unwanted side effects which could lead to mental health problems.

Thing is ...no evidence again of mental health issues.
    If this is how the government react to expert opinion who will trust them ...how can wetrust them ...there is a serious trust issue here.
    Young people again being the victims of government lies and deception over drugs. This happened in 1968 with the Wooton report ...young people read the report ...saw how the government reacted ...didn't believe anything they said about drugs.
    This is not just iresponsible but dangerous.
  • Options
    I'll admit Rolly that the evidence isnt clear cut, however for those with mental health issues cannabis does seem to have a detrimental effect;

"As discussed in our previous reports, there is clear evidence that the use of cannabis may worsen the symptoms of schizophrenia and lead to relapse." ACMD report 2008

And there does seem to be a link between early heavy use of cannabis in people with a pre-disposition and mental health problems. But its not clear;

"The Council concluded that the evidence supports a causal association between the use of cannabis, in adolescence, and the later development of schizophrenia; although the evidence for this relationship is clearly more complicated than when it considered this previously. The Council also considered that the evidence supporting a dose-response relationship was more persuasive than previously. The Council remains uncertain about whether early cannabis use, before the age of 15 years, is associated with an additional increased risk." ACMD 2008

And as I have said before, I'm not saying cannabis makes you mad, but there does need to be research and heavy use of cannabis while young could present a risk. And even aside from the mental health risk heavy use of drugs while young isnt a good idea.
  • Options
    Drugs are bad m'kay! RARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
  • Options
    I'll admit Rolly that the evidence isnt clear cut, however for those with mental health issues cannabis does seem to have a detrimental effect;

Is that not like saying that chocolate is bad for diabetics? Or peanuts seem to have a "detrimental effect" on those with peanut allergies?
  • Options
    Is that not like saying that chocolate is bad for diabetics? Or peanuts seem to have a "detrimental effect" on those with peanut allergies?

Yes, I suppose in a way it is. But then it seems that Rollys position is that cannabis is safe for everyone to use and its never been known to cause mental health problems in anyone.
  • Options
    There's no garauntee that cannabis use will make people have mental problems. It could trigger problems or trigger existing ones but that's not to say having the odd spliff here and there is gonna make people schizophrenic, it's that sort of mentality that's driving this downgrade...or is it upgrade? :D
  • Options
    . But then it seems that Rollys position is that cannabis is safe for everyone to use and its never been known to cause mental health problems in anyone.
    No that isn't my position Bong ...not something i have said.
    What i am saying is there is a lack of evidence still but the government don't tell people that. The government continue to pump out the 1920's
    'marijuana madness' theme which then as now seems to be the permanent government message with any lack of proper evidence ...as we have said before ...if it's in any way dangerous then such a powerful substance should be taken out of the hands of villains.
    No matter how much scientific evidence is thrown at the government it is always ignored ...has been since the India comission in Victorian times.
  • Options
    Jane Harris, of the mental health charity Rethink, said reclassifying cannabis would make little difference and education is what is really needed.

She said the charity wants the Government to make it compulsory for warnings about cannabis to be put on packets of rolling paper.

She said: "We have written to every single rolling paper company we can think of, asking them to do this as a voluntary measure and they have all said no.

"What we really want is health education. The Government promised a massive public education campaign three years ago. We have seen none of that.

"When you look at smoking, they have put millions into that and it's made a difference."
    Warnings on skins! You gotta laugh ...
  • Options
    No that isn't my position Bong ...not something i have said.
    What i am saying is there is a lack of evidence still but the government don't tell people that. The government continue to pump out the 1920's
    'marijuana madness' theme which then as now seems to be the permanent government message with any lack of proper evidence ...as we have said before ...if it's in any way dangerous then such a powerful substance should be taken out of the hands of villains.
    No matter how much scientific evidence is thrown at the government it is always ignored ...has been since the India comission in Victorian times.

I agree with you there, but then governments have been using foggy science for their own ends for years, its not just the drugs issue.

And I totally agree with you in terms of the harm, the law as it stands offers no control and no protection. Legal supply would really help with quality control and education.

As to how harmful cannabis is more broadly, I dont think the scientific opinion has changed that much, for most moderate users they wont suffer any problems. But evidence does seem to be leading us towards risk groups and certain triggers.

As for warnings on rolling papers, why not?
  • Options
    I don't see the point in making it class B again, it's not going to deter anyone away from using whether it's class A,B or C.

Also the government were warned that there were no real need in terms of risk to make it class B again, but sure they never listen anyway.
  • Options
    As for warnings on rolling papers, why not?

Saying what? "Some research suggests that marajuana may trigger mental health problems among a small minority of people after extended use for a number of years from a young age?" Not quite as snappy as "smoking kills" is it? They haven't even managed to come up with a decent one to put on alcohol yet, never mind papers.
  • Options
    Saying what? "Some research suggests that marajuana may trigger mental health problems among a small minority of people after extended use for a number of years from a young age?" Not quite as snappy as "smoking kills" is it? They haven't even managed to come up with a decent one to put on alcohol yet, never mind papers.

Well 'Smoking Kills' might be a good place to start, rolling papers are rarely used for anything else.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote: »
    I don't see the point in making it class B again, it's not going to deter anyone away from using whether it's class A,B or C.

Exactly, who cares what class it is, if you wanna get stoned, your going to get stoned regardless.
  • Options
    This happened in 1968 with the Wooton report ...young people read the report ...saw how the government reacted ...didn't believe anything they said about drugs.
    This is not just iresponsible but dangerous.

This is a good point. When an element of truth is mixed up with bullshit and you can the bullshit clearly, you ain't going to believe a word of it.

And if the problem is increased levels of THC...legalise and regulate the strength of what can be sold! Not that is a problem in the first place, any more than spirits cause the problems with alcohol.
  • Options
    Putting cannabis warnings on rolling papers ...half the village here smoke rollups but not half the village smoke cannabis ...lord snots son down at the farmers arms would have a good chortle over it as he made his little roll ups in the pub garden ...tom the tractor would be pissed off about it ...'think i'm a fucking druggy do they' ..It would be an advert for cannabis and nothing else.
    I remember in Manchester in the early eighties huge billboards about heoin and what it does to you.
    PIcture of a guy sitting on the floor with arrows pointing to his head his feet etc ...headaches ...stiff joints ...nausea ...next to a whites whiskey advert. Some wag redirected all the arrows to the bottle of whiskey ...and rightly so.
    All this education malarky is ok ...if your going to tell the truth which is rarely the case.
  • Options
    reefermadnessposterno5.jpg
  • Options
    So far 26% of people on this sites survey believe skunk to be lethal!
  • Options
    what does it matter ?

classification of any drug as A, B or C or whatever has no real bearing on its use, only on Society's sanctions against its use. Banning anything has never stopped it, in fact, the reverse happens as users and suppliers seek ever more inventive means to procure and pedal the items, and allows criminal intent in to the farmyard ... look at prohibition in America !

as for the deletrious effects of cannabis, not being a smoker myself, I do have 'acquantancies' who have used this since their teens. now, in middle age, there is an obvious deteriaration in mental faculties and an increase in paranoia that 'The Man' is 'out to get them' ..... but no more so than those friends who have abused alcohol, but without the violence that alcohol engenders.

warnings on papers will have as much effect as those on tobacco to people like me, who considers myself reasonably intelligent ... ie. diddly squat !
  • Options
    If i sit here having a wee toke on the killer weed ...i can get five years for sitting here typing this messge.
    If i sit here typing this message with a gun under my desk ...i could understand getting five years.
    There are probably close to five million tokers in the UK ...i would encourage all of them to sack the Labour perty by email ...'sending out a message'?
  • Options
    fACT: Salt can kill.
    Big companies are poisoning you with it.
    Should it be class A?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well 'Smoking Kills' might be a good place to start, rolling papers are rarely used for anything else.

Except Kings. :p
  • Options
    fACT: Salt can kill.
    Big companies are poisoning you with it.
    Should it be class A?

They are adding lots of salt because the public got scared of artificial preservatives, which given you have to use a lot less are probably better for you.
  • Options
    They are adding lots of salt because the public got scared of artificial preservatives, which given you have to use a lot less are probably better for you.

Things like salt, caffine, sugar, alcohol and antidespressents are seen as harmless when in some cases they can do more damage than drugs. It sounds like we're picking certain things to label as dangerous and evil so we can focus on that and not the damgae we're doing to ourselves with things that are part of our everyday lives.
    It should be up to the individual to manage the risks of things based on things like their health, lifestyle and the health of parents and grand parents, rather than up to the government to decide some things are safer than others based on how much tax they get from it.
  • Options
    It should be up to the individual to manage the risks of things based on things like their health, lifestyle and the health of parents and grand parents, rather than up to the government to decide some things are safer than others based on how much tax they get from it.

Yes and no. I certainly wouldnt want the government to let us decide what food additives are safe and which arent - I have no idea and the food companies wouldnt give us all the proper information.

In terms of our diets and drug use (including alcohol and tobacco) people should be given clear and truthful advice from the government, but in the main we should be able to make our own choices.
  • Options

I know what you measn ...i've realy cut down on the baccy cos cannabis is a lot healtheir for me.

Word is coming in that the class b is working ...everyone under forty has stopped smoking the stuff!
  • Options
    I know what you measn ...i've realy cut down on the baccy cos cannabis is a lot healtheir for me.

Yes and no. Cannabis does seem to have more tar in it, but then commercial tobacco has all sorts of strange chemicals in it.
  • Options
    but then commercial tobacco has all sorts of strange chemicals in it.
    Thats ok ...cannabis has glass in it.

If cannabis was made legal ...you'd have to grow your own realy cos you just know the baccy companies would put all manner of crap in there for whatever reason ...possibly nicotine ...get you hooked.