Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Yet another question about genital warts..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all. Haven't been on here in a while so hi :wave:

So this morning I went to my GP and he told me I have genital warts. I was quite worried about these lumps that I have and now I know what they are I feel a lot better and I'm going to go to my GUM clinic to get them sorted out. He told me that you get them through sexual contact, and this is what is confusing me.

I don't sleep around, and have only slept with 3 people since I was 15 (I'm 20 now). I'm confused about where I could've got them from..? I last slept with someone at the end of October 2007 and haven't had sex since. We used a condom so I thought I would be fine. Although I haven't slept with anyone since, I have had sexual contact with a guy I am now seeing. He has only fingered me and I have tossed him off..which makes me wonder..could I have caught the genital warts from him even though I haven't had oral sex or sex with him? Or would I have caught the warts from the guy I had sex with last year as apparently the warts can take months to appear? (Although this was a good 6 months ago.) I'm just a little confused :confused:

Also, I know I have to tell the current guy I'm seeing about the genital warts, but I'm not exactly sure how to tell him? He's currently in France on placement and I haven't had sexual contact with him since he left at the end of March, and he's not back until July. I really like this guy and I don't want to scare him off by telling him! And he should go and get checked out himself shouldn't he?

Thanks for all your help in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    Sadly, even if you do use condoms, they don't prevent the spread of warts as they are spread through skin to skin contact, so it could possibly be the guy who you didn't have penetrative sex with.

Glad to hear you feel better knowing what's going on :)
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Sadly, even if you do use condoms, they don't prevent the spread of warts as they are spread through skin to skin contact, so it could possibly be the guy who you didn't have penetrative sex with.

Glad to hear you feel better knowing what's going on :)

:yes: the virus can be in your body for a while, even years, before warts appear. This makes it hard to trace where you got them from.

But it's good that you have been diagnosed and that you are getting them sorted. Although there will be no easy way to tell your partner just be truthful and explain that you went to the Dr's and say what they found. It won't be easy but it's always best to let your partner know :)
  • Options
    The responsible thing to do if possible would be to let your past sexual partners know too, even if it's a bit embarressing! If they're doing the rounds infected they could be infecting god knows how many other people.
  • Options
    I know, I'm going to tell my current guy and the guy I slept with last year (might be a bit awkward as I live with him at uni and he still has a girlfriend who he cheated on with me, woops :blush: ), do I need to tell the 2 previous people I have slept with? (Bearing in mind they were both virgins when I slept with them and the last time I slept with the first one was 4 years ago and the last time I slept with the second one was 3 years ago? Surely this isn't necessary..?)
  • Options
    I doubt those first two would be necessary tbh, just your current partner and your flatmate.
  • Options
    If you're worried about telling your flatmate, I believe you can get the GUM clinic to contact him anonymously and suggest he get checked out, something to bear in mind.
  • Options
    not an easy thing to tell someone, but if youre sure its not from your current partner, you need to tell the other people you slept with (if youre still in contact)
    I had someone come to me once to tell me that theyd been diagnosed with them and to keep a check or get tested - highly embarrassing for him. Luckily I never did get them but i appreciated him telling me.
  • Options
    Would it not be a little weird if a GUM clinic contacted him suggesting it might be a good idea to get tested?! But that is an option, so thanks :)

Also, while I am at the GUM clinic, how easy is it to get tested for other STIs? (Seeing as I am going there, it'd be good to know if I was clear of anything else that might be lurking..) And what kind of tests do they do for things that don't have obvious symptoms? (I haven't been very lucky recently with getting ill and that, so it'd be good for my peace of mind.)

:)
  • Options
    very easy indeed, in fact, if they don't suggest it you should ask. They explain it whie you're there and take a pee and blood sample, swabs from the urethra and cervix and have a quick look whie they're down there.
  • Options
    :eek2: it all sounds very scary but I guess it's for the best in the long run. I've had enough blood tests in the last month to last me a lifetime so I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem. Do these tests hurt while they're down there?
    Also, I told the guy I'm seeing about the genital warts. I couldn't get hold of him on the phone as he's in France so I sent him an email telling him, probably not the best way to tell him but I thought the longer I left it the worse it would get so I thought I'd just do it there and then...I just hope he hasn't been scared off :nervous:
  • Options
    Most people, including me, find it completely painless with just a little scratch like feeling. The more relaxed you are the more likely you'll find it painless.

Mr current might be scared off but who's to say it wasn't him who passed the warts to you. He might want a bit of reassurance on their tretability, which I guess you'll be able to pass on once you've been to the GUM clinic.