You may be asked to reset your password when you try to login. This is part of a system update and is genuine, so it's safe to go ahead and do that. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to register, please email us at [email protected] rather than creating a new account. Apologies for the inconvenience.

flat hunting...tips please!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm going hunting for a flat tomorrow, mainly so i can show social services that £85 a week won't get me a shoe box in london, and i can't stay in halls all year round, and i'm not guaranteed a place anyway.

So, currently i'm leaving my options open, so i might have to lodge with someone, if i can get a bedsit or a flat that would be great. i'm looking at quite a large area, so i should have lots of choices.

but seeing as i've never done this before, i am in need of tips. What should i ask, what should i find out, what things are normally hidden that i should look for, or are there any things that i really should be wary of?

thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Take photos.

Meet the landlord and make sure that they will secure the deposit.

Ask absolutely everything that springs to mind.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Questions:

Whats the area like?
    What local facilites? (Nearby shops/lesiure centre/parks)
    Transport links?
    Crime rates/ highanti social behavoiur?
    Does the property have known problems, (dry rot, leaking drains, subsidence)?
    What (if any bills) are including in the rent? (Coucil tax/electic/gas/water/other utilites)