Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Labour fails - comes third after lib dems in local elections

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Besides, I said lol @ londoners because have you seen Boris Johnson? He is more comedian than politician. Arguably politicians are just performers anyway so it may actually aid him...
    And what would you prefer to have? Boring politicians who send you to sleep the moment they open their mouths? We have plenty of those amongst New Labour as it is - I defy anyone to spend five minutes watching a speech by Alistair Darling without falling into a coma for the next three months. Why do we need any more?

Labour and their apologists have only got themselves to blame for all this. For months, they treated Johnson's candidacy as a joke. When his campaign started gathering momentum, their strategy of writing him off backfired spectacularly. Ken Livingstone was now the dead man walking, and Boris Johnson was now the almost certain winner.
  • Options
    I think Boris (im another siter who has met him) if a genious, and brilliant.

He is to the tory party what ken was to labour, except the tories kept ahold of boris!
  • Options
    He's actually a clever guy, and he pretty much stopped the whole buffoonery thing thing once he got in the campaign for mayor, and taken it all quite seriously.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Labour and their apologists have only got themselves to blame for all this. For months, they treated Johnson's candidacy as a joke. When his campaign started gathering momentum, their strategy of writing him off backfired spectacularly. Ken Livingstone was now the dead man walking, and Boris Johnson was now the almost certain winner.

Good on him! He won fair and square, I'm not saying he didn't :)

Still, it evokes the same reaction initially as finding out the students of York had voted a pirate for SU president. It seems under the guise of some kind of weird 'buffoonery' as it was put so eloquent in both circumstances they're actually very intelligent and capable people.

Still, he is still seen as a joke by many and there's no harm in my having a laugh at Londoners' expense :)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    and Boris wins by 100,000!
  • Options
    Ouch, the people would rather have Boris Johnson as their mayor than you - that's gotta hurt. You won't be missed :wave:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Whee, that's the Olympics bound to be a huge comedic farce!

Prepare for the worst Olympics in quite a long time.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Whee, that's the Olympics bound to be a huge comedic farce!

Prepare for the worst Olympics in quite a long time.

look on the bright side - even if Tessa Jowell fucks up the Olympics at least we've got a mayor who won't cosy up to far-right Islamists
  • Options
    The BNP won a GLA seat.

Fuck.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    The BNP won a GLA seat.

Fuck.

In some areas they're getting really popular. It's scary. I think they'll win more seats in the next few years unless Labour start doing something for the people who actually voted for them instead of people who support the conservatives.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Ouch, the people would rather have Boris Johnson as their mayor than you - that's gotta hurt. You won't be missed :wave:
    I fear after a year or two in charge Londoners might begin to miss Livingstone greatly.

Congratulations to the London's Evening Standard and Daily Mail Group. Their long orchestrated campaign has finally achieved its goal.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I fear after a year or two in charge Londoners might begin to miss Livingstone greatly.

Congratulations to the London's Evening Standard and Daily Mail Group. Their long orchestrated campaign has finally achieved its goal.

And the Guardian failed in its...
  • Options

Word.
  • Options

After a year or two they may decide they want somebody else in charge, but they still won't miss Livingstone greatly.
  • Options
    In some areas they're getting really popular. It's scary. I think they'll win more seats in the next few years unless Labour start doing something for the people who actually voted for them instead of people who support the conservatives.

i agree, the number of votes they are gaining is quite frightening.

they came second in my ward (to the tories) and i was shocked that they'd managed to be nominated at all.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    BNP managed to gain 2 seats in my area. I live in Rotherham, which is very much Labour territory but I think that people are trying to find a viable alternative as they don't want the Tories. But it is all rather scary.
  • Options
    viable alternative

i just don't understand how people can think of them as one.
  • Options
    After a year or two they may decide they want somebody else in charge, but they still won't miss Livingstone greatly.
    I suspect many will. Including some of those who voted for the clown. Livingstone has achieved far more for London in many areas in the time he was in office than was achieved in the 20-odd years London was mayorless.

Do you live in London, out of curiosity?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    omg hi wrote: »
    i just don't understand how people can think of them as one.

I agree. Completely.

However, people are reluctant to vote Labour, people still remember the Tories of yesteryear and how they screwed up.
  • Options
    The BNP came last in my area. Again. And just to add insult to injury, the bloke who won is an immigrant.
  • Options
    The BNP came last in my area. Again. And just to add insult to injury, the bloke who won is an immigrant.

:chin:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    One of the Leeds wards Labour came sixth with a massive 300 votes, only just narrowly beating representative of the Blah Party (http://www.blahparty.org/)
  • Options
    I suspect many will. Including some of those who voted for the clown. Livingstone has achieved far more for London in many areas in the time he was in office than was achieved in the 20-odd years London was mayorless.

Do you live in London, out of curiosity?

Chime on about what he has achieved all you want; the fact is that people were given an option, and they chose the 'clown' over him. What does that say about him?
  • Options
    Chime on about what he has acheived all you want; the fact is that people were given an option, and they chose 'the clown' over him. What does that say about him?

I agree with this statement. I never thought I'd hope Boris Johnson would win anything.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Besides, I said lol @ londoners because have you seen Boris Johnson? He is more comedian than politician. Arguably politicians are just performers anyway so it may actually aid him, but still.

I expect his first act as major will be to set up the ministry of silly walks :)

This is the worrying thing - not that he'd set up a Minstry of Silly Walks, which would be great, but that I wonder how many of the people who voted for this nasty man understand what he's about and that he's NOT in any way a comedian, a buffoon, a loveable fool... Have I Got News For You have been promoting this idea about Boris for years now; and Ian Hislop even said "Vote Boris!" (ho ho). The papers report his constant blunders as if he just deserves a hearty pat on the back - he says bigoted things all the time because he's like a far-right teddy bear and a genius and have you seen his hair, etc. etc. blah blah no. It's not true in the slightest. It's like voting David Brent into office because "he's a LEGEND". Bewildering, irresponsible, disastrous.
  • Options
    Actually, I think Boris is smarter than he or the media lets on. Still, London voted him in, can't argue with democracy.
  • Options
    This is the worrying thing - not that he'd set up a Minstry of Silly Walks, which would be great, but that I wonder how many of the people who voted for this nasty man understand what he's about and that he's NOT in any way a comedian, a buffoon, a loveable fool... Have I Got News For You have been promoting this idea about Boris for years now; and Ian Hislop even said "Vote Boris!" (ho ho). The papers report his constant blunders as if he just deserves a hearty pat on the back - he says bigoted things all the time because he's like a far-right teddy bear and a genius and have you seen his hair, etc. etc. blah blah no. It's not true in the slightest. It's like voting David Brent into office because "he's a LEGEND". Bewildering, irresponsible, disastrous.

Yesss.
  • Options
    Sounds like a disillusioned public voting for somebody they recognise from the telly.

Labour really are up shit creek, soon enough it'll be the Tories running the UK and the SNP running Scotland. Nightmare scenario.
  • Options

You make it sound like Ken Livingstone isn't a 'nasty man'. After Boris doesn't cosy up to homophobes, crooks and terrorists
  • Options
    Hmm... it looks like according to some of the Sunday papers, they may well be an attempt soon to get rid of Gordon Brown altogether, such is the state of the Labour Party. But here's the important question - regardless of who's running it at the time of the next general election, does New Labour have a hope in hell of winning a fourth term in office?