Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Since when is sexual assault funny?"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

So vile.

Comments

• Options
    Why hasn't this been on the news, serious stuff. :(
  • Options
    that made me feel sick to read
  • Options
    that made me feel sick to read

ditto

edit: have to add thinking about it, when you're at a performance, sometimes you don't know what's part of the performance and what's not... it makes it all the easier for them to get away with it, I guess
  • Options
    Disgusting!
  • Options
    Does seem like there are two completely different views of what happened from the audience, judging by the comments. Either way can't see how it gets resolved without the police speaking to the girl and Johnny Vegas.
  • Options
    Seeing that this was featured in The Guardian, I do have my questions as to the review's accuracy and credibility. Nonetheless, if what O'Hara is describing is true, I suspect it's pushing the boundaries. I would think this is down to the young woman herself - if she was fine with it, fair enough - you may not like it yourself, but there's nowt you can do. If she wasn't, then Vegas has gone too far.
  • Options
    Just because she didn't push him off or call out for him to stop it doesn't mean she was happy for it to happen.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Just because she didn't push him off or call out for him to stop it doesn't mean she was happy for it to happen.

That's completely right but if you think about it we don't know whether she was happy or unhappy for it happen..

Have to say I'm not in anyway endeared to Jonny Vegas on the whole and am disgusted at the article. BUT, as Jim V says, reading from the comments other people in the audience do seem to have a different perspective of the events, and so as I wasn't there... I don't know if I can make a definitive judgement that sexual assault did take place. I mean, I know nothing of drama and the sort, but there was the chance it was all elaborately planned, that the girl was actually working with Vegas? I doubt it, but again, we weren't there and don't know the facts *shrug*

edit: here's a quote that sums it up I think
    The actual matter in question is for the girl to decide. This is not for a load of speculation and conjecture about what may have happened, from people that were not actually in that girls position.

Though I would argue that the 'comedy' is in extremely poor taste and that alone would be enough to put me off.
  • Options
    No it's not funny, but she went along with it, right?
  • Options
    The guy is crap ...i've never seen anything remotely funny about this man.
    Doing what he did on stage is probably the nearest the ugly pig ever got to a woman ...without having to pay that is.
  • Options
    I was one of the "pallbearers", with two friends. The other three "pallbearers" were friends of the girl being carried. At no point were any of us "goaded to finger the girl", nor did Johnny Vegas "finger her through her clothes". I was about 3 meters away. Her friends were encouraging Johnny Vegas, and telling him to kiss her. The girls boyfriend was about 5 meters away, in the front row. He did not seem upset.

It wasn't the most tasteful comedy gig I've been to, but it was far from being the outrageous sexual assault that Mary O'Hara is making it out to be.

At no point throughout did any of these outraged and distressed members of the audience protest. I certainly would have heard the almost self proclaimed hero, Mary O'Hara, had she said anything. She did not say a thing. Was she even there? I wonder...

Bit more food for thought. Allegedly from one of the people absolutely closest. Looking more like a bit of journalistic spin, to be honest. But again, we weren't there. It's just the conclusions the author seems to jump to, bordering on libel / slander.
  • Options
    Doing what he did on stage is probably the nearest the ugly pig ever got to a woman ...without having to pay that is.
    Not true. Back in 2002, Johnny Vegas married Kitty Donnelly and sold pictures of the wedding to Viz magazine for £1. They had one child together. Their divorce was finalised earlier this year. And here's a picture, in case you don't believe me...

Johnny_Vegas_and__K_301797a.jpg
  • Options
    this is really worrying to read
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Not true. Back in 2002, Johnny Vegas married Kitty Donnelly and sold pictures of the wedding to Viz magazine for £1. They had one child together. Their divorce was finalised earlier this year. And here's a picture, in case you don't believe me...

Johnny_Vegas_and__K_301797a.jpg
    She married his wallet ...i've had better looking pigs than this guy ...does anyone find him funny?
  • Options
    None of us can judge because none of us were there. But the journalist seemed to be at odds with what some audience members were saying. And how much can you deduce from body language in this situation? After all, have you ever seen anyone brought on stage by a comedian that didn't look uncomfortable? I watched Al Murray on ITV the other week, and he was bringing TV presenters on stage, and even they looked uncomfortable. And just out of interest, I didn't see many people outraged in David Walliams' Little Britain live show, where he picks a man from the audience (may have been a celebrity) and (in character) pulls their trousers down and pretends to attempt to sexually assault them. Ultimately, the comedian is responsble for anything that goes on onstage, and if the girl wants to press charges, then she will. But until then, it's wrong for a journalist to make that judgement.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If that did happen, it's one of the most appaling things I've ever heard of. And yes, of course actions should be taken.

But on the other hand, I find it hard to believe that someone could really do this in front of a room crawling with people, and have none of them (not to mention the supposed victim) try to stop him.
  • Options
    i was reading about this in the guardian today
    if it's true what happened, it should be investigated, and those people there who lauhed should be prosecuted for crap taste in humour

in principal and humour, unless she was planted in the audience, there's a difference between talking dirty about someone and performing acts like that on someone who can't do much
  • Options
    To me, the offensive thing about this is that it makes sexual harassment acceptable, even funny. It is not fucking funny. Even if she did play along, it is not an acceptable joke to make.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well, I don't like the man anyway.
    a) He isn't even funny.
    b) He's a loathsome character anyway.
    c) He now apparently uses his fame to abuse women onstage in the name of a "comedy show".

This is why, he should be shot.

Seriously though, good point - why is it not in the news ffs? This is nearly rape. Only the Guardian cover it? I am supprise the Daily Nazi didn't jump at this.
  • Options
    To me, the offensive thing about this is that it makes sexual harassment acceptable, even funny. It is not fucking funny. Even if she did play along, it is not an acceptable joke to make.

But that's what stand ups about pretty much :/ making un-pc jokes, epater les bourgeois etc.

From what I read last night, the 'joke' was about him self loathing. Whilst saying he could have any woman in the house, he looks ugly and has no sex charm whatsoever. He attempts to woo this girl with very crap and crude and vulgar lines etc. - the humour is laughing at the patheticness of Vegas' character, rather than the alleged sexual assault or whatever.

edit: just looking at the prominent news stories again and the lack of journalism is just shocking. One blog says factually he raped a girl on stage, the mirror opens it's story with "Disgusted fans of comic Johnny Vegas stormed out of a show after he allegedly molested a girl on stage.", when in fact as for actual reporting there is none. One anecdote from the perspective of one guardian journalist does not a story make.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    I am supprise the Daily Nazi didn't jump at this.

Don't be silly. The Daily Nazi (which could be one of several) would never admit that a girl who didn't literally push him off could be a victim of sexual assault. In fact the Daily Nazi would probably use the fact that she's wearing a skirt as evidence that she was asking for it.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    From what I read last night, the 'joke' was about him self loathing. Whilst saying he could have any woman in the house, he looks ugly and has no sex charm whatsoever. He attempts to woo this girl with very crap and crude and vulgar lines etc. - the humour is laughing at the patheticness of Vegas' character, rather than the alleged sexual assault or whatever.

That does seem to be his style of humour in most of his material. He'll go into a rant about how pathetic he is, and then when the audience laughs at him, he'll (sometimes aggressively) try to prove them wrong or lash out at a particular audience member. I've seen clips of him arm wrestling an audience member, for example. But I've never seen Vegas do a bit of comedy that was at anyone else's expense than his own. But he's often bordering on the line of what is acceptable. He's on Jonathan Ross next week, but I doubt it'll get a mention.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Don't be silly. The Daily Nazi (which could be one of several) would never admit that a girl who didn't literally push him off could be a victim of sexual assault. In fact the Daily Nazi would probably use the fact that she's wearing a skirt as evidence that she was asking for it.

Point taken.

It was probably the stupid slags fault after all, she let herself be carried up on stage.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    But that's what stand ups about pretty much :/ making un-pc jokes, epater les bourgeois etc.

Political correctness isn't always my hobby-horse. Vegas's behaviour, however, was just plain repulsive. If he had acted like this off stage, he would have been arrested. So I don't understand why it's acceptable behaviour on stage. (I am of course assuming that the girl was genuinely a member of the audience, and had no idea what was coming)
  • Options
    Like I said earlier, he's vulgar and not funny tbh. But any stand up is always pushing the limits, it makes their act fresh, I guess. None of us were there anyway so don't know what exactly happened, but there's probably a lot that happens on a stand up comedy act that wouldn't be acceptable in public.
  • Options
    Like I said earlier, he's vulgar and not funny tbh. But any stand up is always pushing the limits, it makes their act fresh, I guess. None of us were there anyway so don't know what exactly happened, but there's probably a lot that happens on a stand up comedy act that wouldn't be acceptable in public.

what about if he put his penis in her mouth whilst she was held down?

would it be part of the act still, from what i heard she was being held down whilst he was inappropiately

yes there's a fine line but i think it was crossed in this case, talking about someone degradely is perfectly acepatble in stand up but doing stuff to them physically?
  • Options

Now this is what I've been going on about. You're making a personal attack yourself. If he were 'handsome' would you like him more?

Not that I am a fan myself. I think the main thing is that I just don't understand him, why he chooses to live the way he does and everything.
  • Options
    That does seem to be his style of humour in most of his material. He'll go into a rant about how pathetic he is, and then when the audience laughs at him, he'll (sometimes aggressively) try to prove them wrong or lash out at a particular audience member. I've seen clips of him arm wrestling an audience member, for example. But I've never seen Vegas do a bit of comedy that was at anyone else's expense than his own. But he's often bordering on the line of what is acceptable. He's on Jonathan Ross next week, but I doubt it'll get a mention.

I suppose that's why I don't understand him, the way he chooses to be such a scapegoat. He chooses to live an unhealthy lifestyle. He chooses to be an idiot. But I think maybe he is hoping that the audience won't laugh at him, and maybe he gets angry when it does happen.

I always thought he was quite popular though actually, obviously this incident will change that.
  • Options
    WLH wrote: »
    Now this is what I've been going on about. You're making a personal attack yourself. If he were 'handsome' would you like him more?

Not that I am a fan myself. I think the main thing is that I just don't understand him, why he chooses to live the way he does and everything.

It's nothing to do with whether he's handsome or not, it's the pathetic-ness, drunkness etc. of his Vegas character that is the whole act. The character (not his real name, btw) is supposed to be ugly, disgusting etc. so people laugh at him. Nobody ever had issues saying the two aunties in cinderella are ugly.
  • Options
    It's nothing to do with whether he's handsome or not, it's the pathetic-ness, drunkness etc. of his Vegas character that is the whole act. The character (not his real name, btw) is supposed to be ugly, disgusting etc. so people laugh at him. Nobody ever had issues saying the two aunties in cinderella are ugly.

Yeah, I guess so. That is what I mean about him really, he chooses to be scapegoated. That's why I find him annoying.

I was aware that Johnny Vegas is actually his stage name. Real name is Michael Pennington.

I always thought being an alcoholic/drug addict was regarded as cool in the media though? Rock stars for example.