Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lesbians human rights violated

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
No, not those ones.
Campaigners on the Greek island of Lesbos are to go to court in an attempt to stop a gay rights organisation from using the term "lesbian".
The man spearheading the case, publisher Dimitris Lambrou, claims that international dominance of the word in its sexual context violates the human rights of the islanders, and disgraces them around the world.

:lol:

Comments

• Options
    I wondered when this was going to come up.

Honestly, I'm appalled.
  • Options
    Probably the only time I could get away with this but what a bunch of stupid lesbians. ;)
  • Options
    What a load of bollocks!
  • Options

:lol: rofl
    why don't they change the name of the island if they are that bothered?
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    :lol: rofl
    why don't they change the name of the island if they are that bothered?

maybe they was using the name first?
  • Options
    i can see why theyd be pissed off. It kind of makes them look like theyve got a jokey name (not saying thats MY sense of humour) but since homosexuality ISNT seen as a positive trait for most of the world, theyre bound to feel a bit weird about it.

I hardly think any of them are going to give the title up easily. Probably more likely the islanders will change their name.

Silly though
  • Options
    I just don't understand why now, why not 40 years ago when it wasn't such a wide-spread word.

It seems like homophobic nonsense to me. And as for whether or not Sappho was a lesbian (she was probably bisexual) I really don't think that's an issue.

(Interesting fact, in Classical Greece if you called a woman a lesbian you would have meant she was good at blow jobs.)
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I just don't understand why now, why not 40 years ago when it wasn't such a wide-spread word.

probably BECAUSE it wasnt such a widespread word tbh. didnt seem such an issue before.

I guess if the word scottish,also meant someone who loves whips chains and hard anal sex, then people from scotland might be a bit embarrassed about the word too
  • Options
    Perhaps. I suppose what I'm driving at is that we should be looking at why there's such a stigma around the word "lesbian" rather than pandering to a few people who - for whatever reason - are so ashamed to be associated with it that they won't even accept that it's just a word with many meanings.

There are numerous instances of misnomers like this - take the cor anglais (neither English nor a horn) as an example, or French kissing - and no one makes a fuss about that.
  • Options
    i agree, there shouldnt be a stigma round the name, but its probably a bit of a tall order to explain that to nearly the whole world. If someone told you they were lesbian, would you immediately think they came from Lesbos?
    The fact is the word DOES have some negative connotations. Its only amongst the most broadminded people that its seen as fine unfortunately. I think its a shame that they chose a word (gay women) that actually meant someone from a certain place. If theyd chosen Sapphists then it wouldnt have been so contraversial.

I mean come on, who never saw the country Lesbos without raising a snigger - seriously. Im not in the least homophobic and yet im immature enough to have joked about it at some point probably. Other people probably would either laugh about it or not even go there. I bet every single person from the english speaking world who has gone there has had comments about it, let alone anyone from there who moved elsewhere.
    Telling someone where your from shouldnt be an invite for comments about your sexual preference.
  • Options
    (Interesting fact, in Classical Greece if you called a woman a lesbian you would have meant she was good at blow jobs.)

i'm sure thats something they wouldn't want to be associated with either! :p
  • Options
    I'm not convinced that gay women necessarily chose the word - at least not by some broad concensus - the way language evolves is much more complicated than that.

I don't really use the word "lesbian" often anyway because I don't like it, but I think it's a bit late to try to change the world's speaking habits now.
  • Options
    To be honest even if they win it only applies to Greece and I don't think Greece is that influential that the rest of the world is going to change the language.

If I was them I'd just say "I come from Lesbos" and just accept that life is unfair.
  • Options
    Why is there even a seperate word for gay women specifically? Seems a bit odd that there would be any distinction.
  • Options
    Because "gay" didn't use to apply to women I think.

I do get annoyed when I see "homosexual" and "lesbian" as distinct categories on forms, though.
  • Options
    I do get annoyed when I see "homosexual" and "lesbian" as distinct categories on forms, though.

What kind of forms ...who the hell has any right to ask or need to know?
  • Options
    a lot of job applications say something like "we are an equal opporunity employer and would never discriminate on the basis of race or sexuality. are you black gay or disabled?"
  • Options
    Because "gay" didn't use to apply to women I think.

tbh i prefer the word 'gay' rather than 'lesbian'.
    i'm sure the word gay right from the start should have applied to anyone - male / female and homosexual. the original word gay came from Good As You - thats not gender specific. but 'lesbian' does seem to have, for me anyway, a derogatory sense to it whereas gay doesn't necessarily.
  • Options
    The word lesbian came about because gay women wanted to separate themselves from gay men, as the original gay rights movement didn't tend to include women for whatever reason.

Or so I was told in my diversity training, anyway. I also learned that homosexual is a bad word as its very medical.