Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the democracy of sentences for murder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so the kiilers of the goth girl got 15-16 years each yet the killers of Mr newlove got 1 year huh ? what was that about one rule for all ? don't care what circumstances anyone wants to argue there is a reocuring circumstance in both cases: SENSLESS AND RUTHELESS MURDER FOR NO PARTICULAR REASON

Comments

• Options
    so the kiilers of the goth girl got 15-16 years each yet the killers of Mr newlove got 1 year huh ?

Nope. They got life, and won't be up for parole for 17, 15 and 12 years respectively.
  • Options
    I heard there was a lot of usept because the judge gave them 1 year out of their 2 year sentence "for their own sakes" and to not do them more harm or something there was an outrage
  • Options
    As I'm With Stupid said - it's worth doing a search to see what the reality is - what you're describing isn't what happened at all.
    At Chester crown court yesterday, Mr Justice Smith sentenced Adam Swellings, 19, of Crewe, Cheshire, to a minimum of 17 years before he is eligible for parole. Stephen Sorton, 17, from Warrington, was given a minimum term of 15 years and Jordan Cunliffe, 16, formerly of Warrington, was given 12 years minimum. The three were convicted of murder last month.

Given the images of the murders that will be kept to show the parole board I very much doubt they will be out in less than 20 years each.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/feb/12/ukcrime
  • Options
    Which, according to a lot of people, is nowhere near enough.
  • Options
    for such brutal cases I would bring back the death sentence for both cases I'm very sorry but sometimes its hang human rights bla bla bla what about the rights of the poeple that were senslessly murdered "for fun" it would seem
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    for such brutal cases I would bring back the death sentence for both cases I'm very sorry but sometimes its hang human rights bla bla bla what about the rights of the poeple that were senslessly murdered "for fun" it would seem
    They won't come back to life if you kill their killer, unfortunately. So to them, it will make absolutely nil difference. Hence, their rights aren't involved. The only thing involved is revenge, and that's a really bad thing to base laws on.
  • Options
    Victim's families often seem to want revenge, which isn't the best thing to base their sentence on, but a sense of justice shouldn't be too much to ask for. I think the main thing should be what's best for society as a whole. In this case I think these people will always be a danger. I know people say you need to be taught right and wrong, but when you're causing someone pain you should know it's wrong.
  • Options

And what would you do if it turns out someone made a mistake and the person who was given the death sentence was innocent? Kind of hard to bring a dead person back.

Also, to a hell of a lot of people, actual life imprisonment with no hope of parole would be a lot worse than death.

That and system of law based on revenge is not a good thing, emotion should have nothing to do with sentencing.
  • Options
    Victim's families often seem to want revenge, which isn't the best thing to base their sentence on, but a sense of justice shouldn't be too much to ask for. I think the main thing should be what's best for society as a whole. In this case I think these people will always be a danger. I know people say you need to be taught right and wrong, but when you're causing someone pain you should know it's wrong.

I want revenge and I don'r even know the victim ! isn't anyone angry at these sensless murders ? a person murdered for fun or just becaus they are different ? were are we heading too ?
  • Options
    I want revenge and I don'r even know the victim ! isn't anyone angry at these sensless murders ? a person murdered for fun or just becaus they are different ? were are we heading too ?

We're heading to... the same place we've always been. Do you think 'senseless' crime is new?

The rights of the people who were murdered were disregarded, but that doesn't mean society should engage in the hypocrisy of then asserting that that's okay by using capital punishment. A justice system should not be based, in any part, on an idea of revenge, catharsis or retribution. That's bowing to the same irrational and vengeful motives of the initial crime. The two main concerns should be protecting society and rehabilitation.
  • Options

Wherever we were before. This kind of thing has always happened, but for a long time it was the monarch or the church or whoever ruled the country that ordered sensless murders. Many of the people from history that we now are expected to worship killed people.
    I'm not really angry about these murders, because I have no right to be. I'm not one of the victims, meaning I have the luxury of not feeling the need for revenge. Of course I have a lot of sympathy for the families which I'm certain means nothing to them, they'll never get over this and there's no reason why they should. People who aren't involved should analyse the situation and make the hard decisions so the families are able to hate the killers as much as they want.
  • Options
    I'm not really angry about these murders, because I have no right to be. I'm not one of the victims, ..............

but you could be !

the thing most (no everyone misses) is the deterent, ok it will mean until the idea comes home there may be people sentenced to death but in future people would thik twice about murduring if they knew they would loose their own life I'm not saying we will stamp out murder completely or that all case should resort to execution I know there have been errors in justice and some famouse cases at that but when its pretty clear I'm afraid I'd vote capital punisment, and no I don't feel safe walking the streets at night (not that I have to),

I'll give you a stupid example: I ride a girls bike to and from work (its green not pink) and have had random comments shouted at me how am I to know that a bunch of yobs won't decided I'm gay or too different and beat me to death ? I know its unlikely (but not too unlikely having heard of other incidents round here) but its the typical sort of thing that could happen especially when people are bored.

Unfortunately with the goverments CRB mania you can't even be a scout leader without going to exspense and humiliation our local red cross group closed ages ago, whats the result ? to protect youths from potential harms (that hardly exist cmon I knew my scout leader and red cross leader they lived round the corner from me) we leave them nothing to do no interests they just wander around with nothing to do and we know what happens when people are too idle they have to find something to do.

I'd also hold parents more accountable when I was a child the occasional muder at the hands of minors that occured the parents were the first to have questions asked now a 10 year old comits murder and the parent is not even taken into account its like they did no wrong not bringing their children up better
  • Options
    People still murder in countries where they have the death penalty. I also wonder how many murderers think they'll be caught.
  • Options
    what people often forget is that a life sentance is exactly that. for life. even if an offender gets released from prison after 15 years serving life, they come out on parole, any little law breaking mistake they make from the day they come out and the are put straight back inside. when they come out after those 15 years or whatever minimum term, they are not free to do the same as any other person - which is what people often think when they think 'they've done their time' etc
    and even if they don't ever commit another crime, they'll be monitored by the police, they'll have a record of conviction that at no time will ever be considered spent and will no doubt affect anything they do within society in future, etc.

17,15,12 years as a minimum term for murder as is the case here, seems pretty fair to me. some other EC countries hand out sentances of less than 5 years for murder as a general rule.
  • Options
    Sorry - I'm afraid that there's no evidence at all that the death penalty prevents murder from any country using it. The facts would seem to suggest that when murder occurs there's either no logical thought involved (so they aren't going to change their mind because of the consequences) or they live a life where even the death penalty is part of what they've already considered (such as gang violence in the USA).

You should bear in mind when talking about injustice in the death penalty that if you don't mind someone you don't know being killed for a crime they didn't commit (or at least accept it as something that happens, as your posts suggest) then you also have to accept your lover, your mother, you children or yourself being killed by the state by accident.

Remember, if it's the government strapping your Mother down in a chair and buring her alive, you don't get any revenge afterwards and it sure as hell didn't work as a deterent for anything.

But do find it odd when people who object to so much of what a government is doing (such as failing to provide proper facilities for young people) are so enthusiastic about the idea of giving them to power to execute people.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    what people often forget is that a life sentance is exactly that. for life. even if an offender gets released from prison after 15 years serving life, they come out on parole, any little law breaking mistake they make from the day they come out and the are put straight back inside. when they come out after those 15 years or whatever minimum term, they are not free to do the same as any other person - which is what people often think when they think 'they've done their time' etc
    and even if they don't ever commit another crime, they'll be monitored by the police, they'll have a record of conviction that at no time will ever be considered spent and will no doubt affect anything they do within society in future, etc.

17,15,12 years as a minimum term for murder as is the case here, seems pretty fair to me. some other EC countries hand out sentances of less than 5 years for murder as a general rule.

really I think we often here of someone just been released murdering again, or commiting other crimes
  • Options
    really I think we often here of someone just been released murdering again, or commiting other crimes

well... of course... it doesn't get published in the papers if they come out of prison and act as a good citizen for the rest of their life, does it?! of course you hear about it if they go on to become a mass murderer or rob an old lady - thats what sells papers!
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    well... of course... it doesn't get published in the papers if they come out of prison and act as a good citizen for the rest of their life, does it?! of course you hear about it if they go on to become a mass murderer or rob an old lady - thats what sells papers!

true but of course the suggestion of capital punishment if they offend again could be put in place but of course that won't make people happy either I suppose
  • Options
    A lot of lifers try to top themselves ...cos living in those conditions with no end in sight is seriously tough going.
  • Options
    A lot of lifers try to top themselves ...cos living in those conditions with no end in sight is seriously tough going.

erm does that mean many sentenced to life comut suicide ? well so much for being the toughys they probably thought they were
  • Options
    erm does that mean many sentenced to life comut suicide ? well so much for being the toughys they probably thought they were
    Some manage it yes ...what it means is you'd be doing them a favour topping them.
  • Options
    Some manage it yes ...what it means is you'd be doing them a favour topping them.

well sounds like we could all live happily ever ager then :chin:
  • Options
    well sounds like we could all live happily ever ager then :chin:
    Being a lifer is serious stuff.
    I had to share a cell with a guy who was doing eighteen years ...i was doing eighteen months ...he was a seriously nasty piece of work on the outside ...a broken shell after about ten years.
  • Options
    but you could be !

the thing most (no everyone misses) is the deterent, ok it will mean until the idea comes home there may be people sentenced to death but in future people would thik twice about murduring if they knew they would loose their own life I'm not saying we will stamp out murder completely or that all case should resort to execution I know there have been errors in justice and some famouse cases at that but when its pretty clear I'm afraid I'd vote capital punisment, and no I don't feel safe walking the streets at night (not that I have to),

I'll give you a stupid example: I ride a girls bike to and from work (its green not pink) and have had random comments shouted at me how am I to know that a bunch of yobs won't decided I'm gay or too different and beat me to death ? I know its unlikely (but not too unlikely having heard of other incidents round here) but its the typical sort of thing that could happen especially when people are bored.

Unfortunately with the goverments CRB mania you can't even be a scout leader without going to exspense and humiliation our local red cross group closed ages ago, whats the result ? to protect youths from potential harms (that hardly exist cmon I knew my scout leader and red cross leader they lived round the corner from me) we leave them nothing to do no interests they just wander around with nothing to do and we know what happens when people are too idle they have to find something to do.

I'd also hold parents more accountable when I was a child the occasional muder at the hands of minors that occured the parents were the first to have questions asked now a 10 year old comits murder and the parent is not even taken into account its like they did no wrong not bringing their children up better

The reason I don't go out and kill people is that if I do someone will lose their life and even more people will have their lives destroyed, if that's not enough of a deterent I don't think anything will be. I'm not completely against the idea of capital punishment, but it would create more problems than it would solve. You seem to be suggesting that murders could be prevented if the killers had good parents and something else to do, but the reason why most people don't kill is because they couldn't do it, not because their favourite episode of the simpsons is on TV and they need to get home.
    The families of the victims don't get a quick and easy way out of the pain they're going through, they have to carry on as normal because we don't believe in greif in this country, why should killers get an easy escape? Capital punishment is expensive, there's the risk of innocent people being killed, someone will have to kill them and anyone who walks around at night feeling safe will know it's because people have been killed by the government. How can people who've murdered someone be worth that?
  • Options
    The families of the victims don't get a quick and easy way out of the pain they're going through, they have to carry on as normal because we don't believe in greif in this country, why should killers get an easy escape? ?

I don't understand you ...how can a country not believe in grief ...do you know anything about grief ?
    You have obviously never come across anyone suffering grief or you wouldn't have made such a statement.
  • Options
    Life should mean life.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote: »
    Life should mean life.

And the job of the warders would be impossible.
    Most murders are commited in the family not on the street against the general public.
    If you knew you had no hope of ever being released ...you could act in any manner you thought fit ...making prison an impossible place to live or work.
    The chance of one day being able to leave prison gives the authorities some power over your behaviour.
  • Options
    Why not just kill anyone found breaking the law ...we wouldn't need jails at all then.
  • Options
    The two main concerns should be protecting society and rehabilitation.

I would add a third main concern, that is the wellbeing of the victims. They can never get back what they lost, and in many cases wont get any form of criminal compensation either. They just have to get on with their lives.

If the system worked, if you had your TV nicked, and the people who stole it were found, they would be forced to get you a new one. As it stands... if you're not insured you're screwed. It's a shame people have to take out life insurance but the system isn't set up for victims I don't think. (especially in violent crimes where victims may have to face their attacker in court)
  • Options
    I don't understand you ...how can a country not believe in grief ...do you know anything about grief ?
    You have obviously never come across anyone suffering grief or you wouldn't have made such a statement.

Well I don't know the history or psycology of grief if that's what you're asking, but I have had close relatives that have died, leading to serious depression in other relatives. But those relatives still had to continue as normal, after a few months they were prescribed medication but other than that there were no allowences made for them, which seems to be normal. People who've lost someone they care about are given, at best, a few days then expected to continue as before, except for maybe half an hour in the evening when they've been to work and their children are asleep, and if it's a child they'll get even less time.