Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I just don't care any more...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is any body else at this stage?

I just don't care... About anything... And can't motivate myself to study.

I would never recommend my university, my student union... Anything.

I just don't give a shit right now...

How can I get out of this? I hate being a student, I am trapped.

And I am getting no real support. Uni even stopped my councilling and told me I had to go outside of university to some obscure women's group...

Fuck... People only seem to care so long as they get paid.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    me ... I have stopped caring too. I have one term left and I really can't be bothered with it at all.
  • Options
    me ... I have stopped caring too. I have one term left and I really can't be bothered with it at all.

So maybe it is a universal thing?

Neither does my flatmate care.
  • Options
    Perhaps. All through uni I've been a bit fed up and not really wanted to go back after breaks, but this year has been SO hard, and I'm totally fed up and I have 0 motivation now. I'm kind of forcing myself to though because about 3 hours ago I discovered that my work was due in tomorrow and not on Friday as I thought so I'm panicking and rushing through it all now. I just can't be bothered though. I want to grow up and get a job rather than fannying about analysing conversations from a radio show about vegetables.
    It's crap that you feel like this but I guess just really try to keep going, give yourself an incentive to - I'm getting myself a digital SLR if I don't use all my loan, that's kind of my reward to keep going really ;)
  • Options
    I'm 24 and wanna be in the world rather than reading these stupid books which have very little relevence to my life.

I prefer working rather than studying and am worried about job hunting too... I'm getting fuck all support and it has pissed me off. I hate my university, it is an embarassment.

:mad:

I can get an extension and all... But I just don't wanna be a student any more. I want a 9-5 job... Monday to Friday... I want evenings free and to be able to read what I want and not feel like I should be reading something academic.

*sigh*
  • Options
    i used to feel like that but the grass is always greener and all that...
  • Options
    I'm the same way right now. Maybe its that the weather is getting nicer and its harder to sit in and do work, or that the end (the end of the semester, not graduation unfortuantly) is near.

Do you enjoy the classes you take?

I know it always gets hard for me at the end of term but now its harder than ever cuz I just cannot stand the awful boring classes I am in.

But don't be wishing for that 9-5 job just yet, I'm also stuck in that and its no better :p
  • Options
    I love uni but there really isn't anything to learn here outside of the 'old school' disciplines (chemistry, physics, medicine, law etc.) that you couldn't learn without even going to uni. You pay the university for your piece of paper which is worth around £60k over your lifetime (average increase in lifetime salary from non grad to grad), but it's all worth it because you meet so many good people. I've always wanted to broaden my education anyway, rather than simply conform further to formal education which I think in many ways is limiting rather than liberating.

But working in a dead end job is probably much worse than living a charade that we're actually becoming the most valuable intellectuals in the country ;) (ignoring the few exceptions who actually will..)
  • Options
    awwww. Its a means to an end, thats all. Youre doing so well and have done so well to get so far. The end is in sight!!!

Just remember how much worse it would be to not have your degree and be stuck doing shitty jobs youre too good for all your life.
    It sounds so frustrating but youre nearly there!!!!!
  • Options
    Me three! I need a self-writing dissertation. I've been here for four years and I NEED IT TO BE OVER!
  • Options
    I have just spent the last 9 odd months researching something I hate and I have written my entire dissertation, finished it to hand in for the first draft and realised I have used two right-wing newspapers as reference and no left wing one. Something that can be easily rectified if the whole thing weren't a piece of shit.

Am past caring, can I have a job now?
  • Options
    FizFiz Deactivated Posts: 44 Boards Initiate
    Awww it sounds like a few of you are finding it hard to get motivated and increasingly frustrated by your situation. There are couple of articles that you might find useful this one has some tips for getting motivated whilst studying and this one is geared towards those of you at work.

Keep positive, sometimes the biggest challenges can present the greatest rewards.

Take care
  • Options
    doublepost
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    I couldn't wait to finish uni. I hated my course but eurgh, working is worse!!!!!!!!! :lol: I'd go back to being a student any day! I had more money as a student too and a better social life!

Lol, how did you have more money as a student!

I hugely prefer working life - I don't have a worry in the world - a chilled out job and plenty of free time, whereas at uni there was constant worry about exams, essays, presentations, projects, job interviews, career prospects - never did I feel like I could just chill out for a few hours and do nothing with so much to do. Working life feels like the reward for working hard during studies - now it's a basic 9-5 and so much more time to just do what I want! Other opinions?
  • Options
    hmm it depends, i like having the money but don't like the sardines routine in the morning, i like flying to beautiful places but i don't like having to work til 9-10 sometimes in the evenings, i like being sober but i miss getting high. you canna have it all so just make the most of it.

tinkler i dunno what uni you went to but i had all the free time in the world for 3 years and still managed to get decent grades, now i get 25 days in the year and weekends off and that's more than most! still i was glad to finish uni, last year dragged a bit but i think it does for most people.
  • Options
    hmm it depends, i like having the money but don't like the sardines routine in the morning, i like flying to beautiful places but i don't like having to work til 9-10 sometimes in the evenings, i like being sober but i miss getting high. you canna have it all so just make the most of it.

tinkler i dunno what uni you went to but i had all the free time in the world for 3 years and still managed to get decent grades, now i get 25 days in the year and weekends off and that's more than most! still i was glad to finish uni, last year dragged a bit but i think it does for most people.

I went to Imperial cos it's good for Computer Science... was fairly hardcore / intense but yeah I could have spent plenty of time doing nothing and still done fine. The point I was trying to make was that even in spare time like when I was out clubbing, my mind was never at ease as I always had worries at the back of my mind that eg I've got a project to hand in in a week, might struggle to get a 2.1, blah blah. Right now I get 25 days holiday a year, that's like 2 weeks in Mexico, 2 weeks in Australia, and a couple of long breaks, whereas at uni I never had a holiday as there was dissertation, internship or revision over the breaks! Maybe I was more of a worryer, did nobody care when at uni that they've got to do well in their exams to get a good job? Not a worry now.
  • Options
    I see all my old classmates from school so much further ahead of me in their studies and work life and just feel blurgh. Why am I bothering?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I see all my old classmates from school so much further ahead of me in their studies and work life and just feel blurgh. Why am I bothering?

Don't know if this helps but I felt similar after last year where I restarted as a first year (cos I can't do maths :yippe: ). Then I realised it's not a race, there are so many random chance encounters in life that you may well end up meeting someone with a brilliant idea and go into business with them and make a mint, and you'd be miles ahead of them then. I guess you just have to focus on yourself and forget what other people are doing. Great for them but if my friend gets a promotion because they've been working at the co op for 3 years it doesn't really hurt me..
  • Options
    Thanks Shyboy.
  • Options
    Im exactly the same, I have an entire portfolio and 2 2000 words essays to be in by Fri and I feel like poo, dont understand them and cant be arsed with anything! I just want to sleep and hope that the work gets done! and I have another year of this!!!
  • Options

Ya ditto...

I wish i could afford to work less and study more, then I would never have got so far behind... still, off to study now methinks...

whining will solve nothing.
  • Options
    Exam time innit? I was doing an essay yesterday and was just thinking "could not be fucked doing this" but you do it anyway. I love uni, I love the craic, the friends and the nights out, sure you have to do some work but the good times vastly outweigh the bad. :thumb:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Exam time innit? I was doing an essay yesterday and was just thinking "could not be fucked doing this" but you do it anyway. I love uni, I love the craic, the friends and the nights out, sure you have to do some work but the good times vastly outweigh the bad. :thumb:
    yep, I cannot be fucked...

I don't like uni... But love the social life and the activism I've been in.

Yeah, just gotta do it.
  • Options
    It's a very bad, dangerous attitude to compare yourself with other people. Else you'll always feel inferior, even if you're doing fine there'll always be other people ahead. Many friends I graduated with went down the banking route and are earning over £100k, I went for Tech so am on £30k, do I feel bad that they're doing well? No. I see I've got a lovely gf and my own place, and enough money to live my (simple) life, thus don't care less if others are doing "better" (financially, academically or whatever).
  • Options
    I was feeling like crap but I put my CV on some recruitment websites for journalism jobs and the offers have been POURING in. Baring in mind I'm one of the bottom of my class and I've worked my arse off to no avail the last few years, I certainly have to say I'm feeling somewhat better now.

Some of the interviews I've got are really exciting as well. One is for an online shopping site and not only do I get my wage, private dental and healthcare but I also get a shopping budget of like £500-£1000 per month for "research" and I get to keep what I buy.

Maybe this university thing was worth it after all? It may seem like pants n crap now but I'm pretty sure it will pay off in the end.
    X
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    It's a very bad, dangerous attitude to compare yourself with other people. Else you'll always feel inferior, even if you're doing fine there'll always be other people ahead. Many friends I graduated with went down the banking route and are earning over £100k, I went for Tech so am on £30k, do I feel bad that they're doing well? No. I see I've got a lovely gf and my own place, and enough money to live my (simple) life, thus don't care less if others are doing "better" (financially, academically or whatever).

qft
  • Options
    Blaaahhh this is boriiiing!

How harsh are dissertations marked? lol!
  • Options
    Ups and downs

You will almost certainly have lots of ups and downs throughout your life,
    try to keep a sense of perspective and not get too bogged down by worries.
    You are lucky to be so young with all your potential in front of you.
  • Options
    Mandalena wrote: »
    You will almost certainly have lots of ups and downs throughout your life,
    try to keep a sense of perspective and not get too bogged down by worries.
    You are lucky to be so young with all your potential in front of you.

Well, that wasn't partronising. :rolleyes:

How old are you?
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Well, that wasn't partronising. :rolleyes:

How old are you?
    How fucking ungrateful are you, they were only trying to be helpful.
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    How fucking ungrateful are you, they were only trying to be helpful.

They sounded patronising to me...

I'm in my mid twenties, not fifteen.