Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do geeks have problems forming words?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any thoughts?

I'm trying to use a bit of code that someone on the internet has written and looks really useful ...unfortunately the geek in question thinks 4 lines of instructions is enough to explain how to install and set up everything.

There's probably a lot of useful stuff that's been created over the years that goes to waste simply because the people with such technical ability can't communicate their achievements to the rest of the world effectively.

Comments

• Options
    Some ultra smart geeks suffer from autism or a form of it which means communication is hard.
  • Options
    documentation is a ball ache, because to you (the designer) it's obvious what it does.
  • Options
    It's just because it's so easy to them, that they think "Nobody can't understand that, after those 4 sentences, they sum it all up."
  • Options
    Meh documenting code is the most boring thing out and I have to admit to being bad at it myself. 4 lines is quite a lot really...you're lucky if there's 1 line saying anything about code I write.

Just looking at some code I want to nick from another department at work and there's no documentation on it at all...looks like I'm gonna have to spend some time working it out!
  • Options
    See your GP J.
  • Options
    I think some geeks find it hard to put down in words things they do or feel, my boyfriend is a geek and our text messages and emails get very frustrating at times because he doesnt communicate well in writing about things unless they have a specific response
  • Options
    I've never found this. I have a friend who is a geek and doesn't come across as having that problem.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    It's just because it's so easy to them, that they think "Nobody can't understand that, after those 4 sentences, they sum it all up."

This, I often find myself only briefly explaining shit to friends - after we've been on the net for so long, we expect EVERYONE to be able to GOOGLE how to do things. Or, already understand the simplicity of it.

Less words = saved time. This is a good geek philosophy, however, it doesn't really work outside of a geeks world.

As for general communication, well, at times we cant be arsed, or we just hve trouble because the words don't exist, and stringing loads together to express yourself is both gay and pointless. And we live on the net, where Grammar Nazism prevails.

Also, the bet instructions in the world come with some cracks:
    1) unpack
    2) install
    3) enjoy
    :D
  • Options
    I learnt a few years ago that when doing technical documentation you have to assume the person is a complete nonce. Screenshots, precise explanations, even a glossary of terms all helps.

Time invested in good documentation is time saved with the endless questions of 'how do i..' 'what does this do...' and so on. With my mum I just sodded the documentation and built a small webpage on her desktop for her to click with the links on there for everything she needs. (She still needs help sometimes tho :()
  • Options
    There are millions of people out there who are able to do massively complicated jobs, but wouldn't be able to explain to anyone else how they do them. To label them "geeks" just insults their abilities.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    There are millions of people out there who are able to do massively complicated jobs, but wouldn't be able to explain to anyone else how they do them. To label them "geeks" just insults their abilities.

It depends on how you define the term 'geek'. Personally, I don't find it an insult *shrugs*
  • Options
    It depends on how you define the term 'geek'. Personally, I don't find it an insult *shrugs*
    According to www.dictionary.com, you've got three definitions of this word:

"geek slang,noun. 1. a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual. 2. a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.) 3. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken."
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Any thoughts?

I'm trying to use a bit of code that someone on the internet has written and looks really useful ...unfortunately the geek in question thinks 4 lines of instructions is enough to explain how to install and set up everything.

What do the four lines say?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    According to www.dictionary.com, you've got three definitions of this word:

"geek slang,noun. 1. a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual. 2. a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.) 3. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken."

You don't need to look up the dictionary, I am capable of doing that too. I, personally, think that the term has evolved. I quite happily call my husband a geek and he doesn't take offence and I regularly call myself a knit geek. It's not a big deal, and I think others would agree *shrugs*
  • Options

:yes: Depends hows it used but if I get refferred to as one I couldnt care less as I call myself a geek.

Some codings or procedures for jobs dont make sense apart from the person who wrote it/works with it all the time. Which why me writing procedures at work isnt a good idea, even the people on my team wouldnt understand them.
  • Options
    Referring to the OP, yes i think they do, to some extent, and to different extents in certain cases.
  • Options
    Have a check of http://www.ted.com/index.php

Some geeks on there with no problem expressing themselves (and some wonderful other stuff as well)

Well worth checking out Johhny Lee's Wii remote hacks - http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/245