Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bank Charges

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Fair ...Unfair? Post your views :)

Comments

• Options
    unfair
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    unfair

why though? what about them is unfair?
  • Options
    unjust, illegal and plain old not ethical.
  • Options
    Well of course they're unfair. And they're quite clearly illegal too. You can't fine someone more than you incur in costs. If you forgot to bring a DVD back to Blockbusters, then the most they could lose is a night's rental fee, so they shouldn't be allowed to charge you more than that. For the banks, the amount is probably less than that. The only way you can claim that bank charges are fair is if you claim that anything written on a piece of paper and signed is legal. The contracts are illegal, therefore the charges are illegal, which is quite clearly demonstrated by all but one case being settled without dispute from the banks. Nice to see they've held back the judgement on what is a legal charge though, giving them a bit more time to charge customers ridiculous sums of money.

And I've never incurred a bank charge btw.
  • Options
    not only that but they just take the fine off you, other fines you recieve a notice for and the chance to contest thtem in court, the banks just steal money out of your bank account.
  • Options
    Just to say I think they're unfair too, All banks are scum in my opinion and I work for the worst of the lot!
  • Options
    Good god, don't get me started.

A while ago I was living alone and renting a flat I THOUGHT I could afford. Always paid my rent and bills at the beginning of the month, that was never an issue, but always seemed to struggle a bit the week (sometimes fortnight) before payday.

One particular month I went past my overdraft. Matter of pence, but went past it nonetheless, and BANG - they walloped a thirty quid charge on me. I kicked up a fuss, as you do, and they paid back the thirty pounds "as a gesture of good will", but warned me that should I go overdrawn again, they wouldn't be able to be so lenient.

Lo and behold, depsite being as careful as I could be, a couple of months later I went overdrawn again. And I must stress, this was not due to any kind of extravagant lifestyle, I just needed food; but banks don't give a shit about that. Cue more charges. Eventually, because I was then short the following month, I ended up going overdrawn again and it turned into this massive, vicious cycle. Pay-day comes around, the bills get paid, the bank charges get paid and then I'm left short.

Frankly, I feel the banks are greedy little bastards. They don't even TRY to help people get out of a sticky financial situation, they thrive on it, and believe me... I've asked for help from them on numbers of occasions. I've paid hundreds of pounds in bank charges over the years and eventually moved to shared accomodation because I'd had enough of the financial struggle.

I understand the side of the argument where people say "you should be more careful with your money!", but what if you are bloody careful but still, from time to time, get stuck? It's wrong of them to steal money from us so willingly and so often. Plain and simple.
  • Options
    when you go over any agreed overdraft, they are allowing you to, they know you don't have the funds but process it and then charge you- cocks.
  • Options
    Its gonna be soooooooooo good when all the banks get fucked over when this court case is done and dusted, shame its going to take forever. I mean I agree that some people take the piss with their money and they should be penalised. But the bank I work for screwed up my wages! Paid me £200 less than I should have and then charged me? Good job im looking for a new job. Lloyds TSB for the journey! yeah they do take you for a fuckin ride! - Rant over :D
  • Options
    Lloyds TSB. Too damn right, although I imagine they're all the same.

And Katralla is right - why are banks so willing to give you money when you haven't actually got it, but then charge you through the roof as punishment? Where's the fairness in that?
  • Options
    I'm saying nothing about this subject. This is now the subject of a high court battle - whatever verdict they come to at the end, I will respect and abide by.
  • Options
    I have a current and saving account. A few years ago I went about £10 over my overdraft (due to my complacency) and the bank immediately charged me £25... even though I had over £1000 in my savings account.

I went into my bank and spoke to the manager and she very kindly refunded me the £25 though.
  • Options
    OK, so bank charges can be annoying. And I'm not sure whether they should be allowed to just 'take' it from you account.

But couldn't you say that you are stealing from them, if you go over the overdraft limit? You are taking their money without asking.

And which would you rather? They give you the money, or refuse to give you any. Especially if there is a long line behind you in the checkout in the supermarket...
  • Options
    how the fuck does any customer take money from a bank without asking first? You make a request with your card or whatever payment is going out, the bank then decides whether to authorise it, where's the theft?q
  • Options
    I agree katralla although the main problem with it is that a lot of the newer chip and pin machines can over-ride the banks decision and let you pay for the goods anyway. Technology eh!
  • Options
    cuppatboys wrote: »
    I agree katralla although the main problem with it is that a lot of the newer chip and pin machines can over-ride the banks decision and let you pay for the goods anyway. Technology eh!

Precisely. There were a couple of occasions many moons ago when I was quite aware I didn't have money in the account, but was desperate for something or another - most likely food / toiletries - that I went to the supermarket and put it on my card, knowing that the chip and pin would accept it.

My fault for going overdrawn, granted; but the banks make it far too easy for people to do this now. The money is too accessable.
  • Options
    Look banks would be more than able to block payments even a penny over an overdraft if they wanted to - any system could have that built in. It checks if your account has a stop or block on it, so there's no doubt about them being able to check a limit, especially since most debit cards aren't even cheque guarantee cards these days.

So they could stop something going over the limit by £2 - if they stop it, you know you don't have money left. If they let you take the money out they fuck you for a £30 charge - guess which system they back?
  • Options
    Bank charges might be fair if your balance is always up to date - but it's not. I hope to fuck this court case forces the banks to pay out - I'm owed a lot of money! :mad:
  • Options
    If someone is offering you a service that you do not value, or perhaps you think they are cheating you, surely it makes sense to, at least, consider disposing of their services ?
  • Options
    If someone is offering you a service that you do not value, or perhaps you think they are cheating you, surely it makes sense to, at least, consider disposing of their services ?

The way our society works, it's near impossible to dispose of banking services unless you're a hermit living in a caravan or have decided to go back to nature and live in the woods.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I'm saying nothing about this subject. This is now the subject of a high court battle - whatever verdict they come to at the end, I will respect and abide by.

Yet you will have a go at anything and everything in the politics and debate thread, court case or not?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Yet you will have a go at anything and everything in the politics and debate thread, court case or not?

Just to say, it's getting a bit weird the way you seem to be selectively commenting on what Stargalaxy says a lot of the time. It's really better to follow debates rather than individuals.
  • Options
    If the banks lose the court case, expect to be paying for your accounts in the near future.

This is going to hit those hardest who are just surviving whether they have incurred charges in the past or not.
  • Options
    Yeah, in a way i hope they lose as i like my free bank account.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    FCUK it wrote: »
    If the banks lose the court case, expect to be paying for your accounts in the near future.

That is a poor argument for letting the banks carry on with what is an illegal practice.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Am I allowed to cross threads? You know how you (skive) and spliffie are saying that it's the bank's responsibilty not to charge illegal fines rather than emphasis on the customer's responsibility to not incur the illegal charges? That's how I feel in the rape thread- obviously the customer should avoid going overdrawn but you have both defended the idea that it's the banks who should be forced to change their behaviour first and foremost. Do you see what I'm getting at?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    katralla wrote: »
    That's how I feel in the rape thread- obviously the customer should avoid going overdrawn but you have both defended the idea that it's the banks who should be forced to change their behaviour first and foremost. Do you see what I'm getting at?

I'm not sure it's a good analogy.

I havn't said it's always the customers fault if they go over the limit. I havn't said it's a girls fault if she's raped after taking no precuations.

?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's more the emphasis on the criminal's behaviour rather than the victim's that I find different. (have to go now...)
  • Options
    moomog wrote: »
    But couldn't you say that you are stealing from them, if you go over the overdraft limit? You are taking their money without asking.

No, you are borrowing their money with their explicit agreement. They authorise every card transaction and every withdrawal.

They also charge you 30% APR interest for the borrowing. W"hich is, of course, where they make the real money.
    FCUK it wrote:

Excuse me, I'm already paying a fortune for my bank account. My in-credit interest rate is about 1%, which means that I am paying 4.5% to the bank for having my money there. Which is, of course, why my savings are with a bank that pays a better rate of interest.

A lot of people already have "premium" accounts, where there is a fee and banks will push those accounts more.

The fines they charge are not the bread-and-butter for the banks, they're just a nice bonus and if they are deemed illegal "free" banking won't end. One bank will always break ranks (just as Nationwide did when Barclays, RBS and HSBC tried to charge people for ATM transactions ten years ago) and that will prevent anything happening.
  • Options
    Bank charges are illegal and unfair. You cant expect the banks not to charge you but a fairer, realistic and more clear policy is needed. And I work for a (rather scummy) bank and I know what their like for charging fees for silly things (like, I dont know, a fee for withdrawing the funds from your savings account by cheque perhaps?).

I dont think we'll see the complete end of free banking, somone will still offer it.