Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Zimbabwe... could it really be?

Could that odious murdering cunt really be about to step down?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7326532.stm

Here's hoping he does... hopefully straight onto a landmine.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    I very much doubt (but I do hope) that he will leave without a fight.
  • Options
    I hate to rain on this parade, but it isn't going to happen. Leopards don't change their spots. The only language that filth like Robert Mugabe understands is violence and intimidation. The idea that he's prepared to go quietly, given the history of his brutal dictatorship, is ludicrous.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The idea that he's prepared to go quietly, given the history of his brutal dictatorship, is ludicrous.

Its really a shame because Zimbabwe was run quite well, it was reasonably stable and was the 'bread basket of southern africa' for years. He just pissed it all away when he didnt want to leave office.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Its really a shame because Zimbabwe was run quite well, it was reasonably stable and was the 'bread basket of southern africa' for years. He just pissed it all away when he didnt want to leave office.
    They say that power corrupts the mind. It certainly has in Mugabe's case, and his country, far from being the bread basket, is now just a basket case. It's depressing, frankly, and whoever comes next is going to have one hell of a task in front of them.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Could that odious murdering cunt really be about to step down?

What does Bush have to do with Zimbabwe? :p
  • Options
    So incompetent that even when he rigs the election he still loses.
  • Options
    So incompetent that even when he rigs the election he still loses.

:D

Over 100,000% inflation. :eek: Wouldn't mind holding a one billion pound note in my hand, even if it was pretty worthless.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    :D

Over 100,000% inflation. :eek: Wouldn't mind holding a one billion pound note in my hand, even if it was pretty worthless.

Zimbawean dollar ... ;) (not that I am being pedantic)
  • Options
    The only sense this long delay makes is that Zanu PF are hoping that if they wait long enough, some opposition supporters will give them the excuse to introduce martial law. And if that doesn't happen, they'll just twiddle their thumbs waiting for something else to turn up.

I learned something new from the run-up to the elections, though. That is that the western 'sanctions' Mugabe claimed were responsible for the hyper-inflation and stuff must have been the most effective sanctions in the history of the world. Shame they were never used on Libya, or Iraq...
  • Options
    If they'd have won "fair and square" they'd have mentioned it by now. The fact that they haven't speaks volumes. I'm not hold up much hope for a peaceful end to this though. One of his ministers was quoted on the news today saying that Mugabe would do anything to stay in power.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Teagan wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it.

This is my sentiment.

He isn't going until I dies, I reackon. And if he is, he will make sure someone as twisted as him self, if not more, takes over.
  • Options
    indeed he'll stay in power for as long as he possibly can one way or another.
  • Options
    Hinges on the army I think.
  • Options
    Well election law says they have to have the run off within three weeks, talk is that zanu-pf want to delay this up to three months, to give them time to properly fix it!
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Hinges on the army I think.
    History shows us that this is almost certainly the way that things will go. Here's one example - slightly different context, but similar situation. In 1917, the deeply unpopular Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was still in charge, but widely despised, due to his failure to ensure the people of Russia were able to get food, drink, heat and so forth during a particularly bad winter. At first, the military backed him up and enforced the rule of law, mainly because they themselves were still doing alright. But Tsar Nicholas II, being the way he was, didn't keep things like that for very long. Soon, he was asking for more and more from the authorities whilst giving them less and less. Eventually, they snapped and refused to take his orders. With no one to enforce the rule of law and the Tsar's authority, his regime collapsed. One man cannot run a whole country by himself, a lesson that every dictator understands.

Whilst the cops and military men of Zimbabwe are doing alright, Mugabe will stay in charge. When they turn against him, he's not only as good as finished, he's as good as dead. When that happens, none of us will mourn him.
  • Options
    There's no way he'll step down..that'd be like signing his own death warrent
  • Options
    pants1 wrote: »
    There's no way he'll step down..that'd be like signing his own death warrent
    Yes, but there is one big advantage to Mugabe if he stepped down voluntarily. As we know, many abominable crimes have happened in Zimbabwe during his regime - beatings, people disappearing etc. If he goes of his own accord, it means he is far less likely to be held to account for his crimes.