Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

dentist

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
dentist :nervous:

oooh how i hate it!!
i had to go to TWO appointments with my dentist today - once for a checkup which was ok, and then to the hygenist who then proceeded to scrape, polish and do god knows what to me. ohh its horrible :nervous:

discounting events that i dont know are going to happen, i think id count visits to the dentist as being the worst 2 days of my year.

ive never had a filling in my life, and all the stuff i haave had done isnt too bad - but i still get so scared running up to it!!

who here absolutely hates it like I do?!!
whats the damage so far?!

Comments

• Options
    I absolutely loathe going to the dentists, although it's not my teeth which are pain afterwards, but my wallet. Because there aren't any NHS dentists taking on patients in my area, I've had to go private. My last check up cost me £40, and the dentist in question spent most of the "check-up" trying to get me to spend over £300 on some dental work.

Bastard.
  • Options
    Don't see the fear myself, had about 4 or 5 fillings and 2 of them were without the laughing gas. I've been through more pain than the dentist like.
  • Options
    Anyone who comes at me with tools wanting to remove part of my head scares me.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Never minded it too much, havent got one as there isnt any routine NHS dentists and I dont care enough to pay/afford it.
  • Options
    Unless there's a danger of them killing me then there's no point being afraid of it.

Even then, being scared of them isn't going to make them less likely to kill you.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Unless there's a danger of them killing me then there's no point being afraid of it.

Even then, being scared of them isn't going to make them less likely to kill you.

You would be surprised how dangerous some dentists can be. My best friend has a life limit condition called Marfans syndrome. He had an aorta repair in 2001. This meant he is supposed to have at least a week of antibiotics if having dental work. The last dentist he saw in 2004 refused to give him more than one dose of antibiotics (Claiming that was enough). This resulted in my friend contacting septicemia which caused all his organs to shut down. He was given a few hours to live, but thankfully my friend is incredibly stubborn and lived. He had to have his aorta repaired again resulting spending three months in hospital. All this thanks to a useless dentist.
    All I have to tolerate is dental work will be painful as local anesthetic does not work for me. yet I have no fear of dentists.
  • Options
    I don't mind going the dentist I've had a few fillings but nothing major.

The only thing I never want done is to have a tooth out..they actually would have to put me asleep to do it, I couldn't be awake :nervous: :shocking:
  • Options
    I used to be terrible - I once bit the dentist when I was little. (like two years ago haha no like 10 years ago!)

Went a long while without a dentist and have just recently like last summer got one on NHS after having treatment with an emergency dentist. She was lovely and unscared me. Get the gitters now before an appointment but don't put it off like I used to. Have had three fillings in the past year which is the only dental work I have ever had done, all on back teeth - with two needles to a filling. Seeing as I SHYTE myself at needles I think I'm very very brave now. Big girlie :-) BUT I don't get a sticker WHICH SUCKS!!!
  • Options
    My dentist is really lovely :yes:

But I would be very scared to have a new dentist, I travel back to my Dad's every time I need to go to the dentist (a couple of hours away).

I've had my wisdom teeth removed but I went into hospital for it with a general anasthetic, I wouldn't like to have that done whilst awake!