Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Steve Bennett

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Shit ref
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Gordons brother?
  • Options
    Gordons brother?

Probably been on the Gordon's, I expect!
  • Options
    Shit ref

why?
  • Options
    card happy, they're not in school and a player should be able to speak his mind disagreeing with a decision without being yellow carded. Even the man u players could see he was a joke, they just laughed though except for Rio when he was carded and didn't even commit a foul.

Glad gerrard and carragher had a go at him. did you see benitez's reaction? He was already on his way down to contest the foul against torres then couldn't believe it when he got a yellow card for saying "why?".

Steve bennett completely destroyed what could have been a good game. i'm glad torres near the end didn't say nothing but flew in at wes brown continually knocking him over, i think he though if you're going to get a yellow card atleast make it for a reason.

poor performance from the ref, i hope he realises his mistakes.
  • Options
    card happy, they're not in school and a player should be able to speak his mind disagreeing with a decision without being yellow carded. Even the man u players could see he was a joke, they just laughed though except for Rio when he was carded and didn't even commit a foul.

Glad gerrard and carragher had a go at him. did you see benitez's reaction? He was already on his way down to contest the foul against torres then couldn't believe it when he got a red card for saying "why?".

Mascherano was stupid. He was constantly fouling and giving off to the referee when he got decisions against him, despite being on a yellow. I can't believe he still decided to have a go at the ref, DESPITE both Gerrard and Alonso trying to stop him. I think it was a little bit more than 'why' as well.

Mascherano let you guys down today. He deserved to be sent off.
  • Options
    yeah he deserved to be sent off for running across the pitch, but still, the ref ruined the match because the decisions he gave were very questionable. torres went down and asked how he fouled and was given a yellow for asking. gerrard ended up shouting at the ref "you're takign the fucking piss" when he gave a foul for a ronaldo dive, if you watch, ronaldo has 3 players around him, all over 10 feet away when he went down.
  • Options
    yeah he deserved to be sent off for running across the pitch, but still, the ref ruined the match because the decisions he gave were very questionable. torres went down and asked how he fouled and was given a yellow for asking. gerrard ended up shouting at the ref "you're takign the fucking piss" when he gave a foul for a ronaldo dive, if you watch, ronaldo has 3 players around him, all over 10 feet away when he went down.

Torres was lucky not be sent off after his foul on Vidic. The referee didn't ruin the game, Mascherano did. I can't believe how stupid he was. I really wish he hadn't been sent off because United were all over Liverpool before that and were already one nil up in a position of strength. The sending off just gives you something to moan about. If you're looking for people to blame, don't blame the referee. Blame your players and manager.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    If you're looking for people to blame, don't blame the referee. Blame your players and manager.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Torres was lucky not be sent off after his foul on Vidic. The referee didn't ruin the game, Mascherano did. I can't believe how stupid he was. I really wish he hadn't been sent off because United were all over Liverpool before that and were already one nil up in a position of strength. The sending off just gives you something to moan about. If you're looking for people to blame, don't blame the referee. Blame your players and manager.

So torres commits a foul, doesn't get sent off but gets a yellow card for asking how he apparently fouled someone else when he was kicked to the ground? I wouldn't like to see you as a ref!

United were not all over us in the beginning, we had ball control up until the first goal. The only fault up until then was reina.

Sorry you're wrong, the sending off doesn't give me something to moan about. You can see the frustration in the eyes of the players and the manager at the sight of what's going on. Ronaldo was laughing when he saw torres get carded, it wasn't hard to see the Man U players aware of the ref too, even when rio was booked it was a joke and he could see it too.

Plenty of mistakes were made by the ref and it was said by Tony Adams as well that not only have the players got to be strong but the ref too.

Lol near the end of the game the ref knew he had made mistakes that's why torres started flying in. The ref was scared to make dcisions and when he did, it was the wrong decisions which had liverpool players very frustrated.

The blame for a defeat is not being pointed anywhere, just that the referee ruined a potentially amazing match. Looked back at the reply in the news, torres gets fouled but it's given against him so he asks why and has a yellow card. That plays a huge role after bad decisions before hand.

The ref will not get away so lightly after making such poor decisions, it's simply not going to happen, the idea that it is all liverpools fault holds no ground when wrong decisions completely frustrate the players and the manager.
  • Options
    In a week when dissent has come to the fore, when the FA have publically stated that they will not tolerate it, when Keith Hackett has instructs referees to clamp down on it, you really shouldn't be surprised if two players get booked for mouthing off. Like Torres and Mascherano did.

In the case of Mascherano it wasn;t for that one time, it was for the six or seven previous occasions too. He is to blame for not abiding by the rules of the game.
  • Options
    Torres didn't mouth off though, he just turned around and asked why. They're not children and no matter how much the FA tries to stop players making a point it will not happen and all that will happen is hat's happened today.

Like i said before torres was even shown a card benitez was walking down to contest it personally, as well as alonso and others shaking their heads at his decision but the mere opening of torres' mouth has him yellow carded. What a complete joke.

Mascherano deserved to be sent off and his first yellow was well deserved too but good on him for making the point that you can't act like that with players.
  • Options
    Torres didn't mouth off though, he just turned around and asked why.

How do you know what Torres said? Were you pitch-side at Old Trafford? For all you know, he could have sworn at the referee or insulted him.
  • Options
    Not the type of thing torres does, he moves his arms out and shrugs, only after he gets the yellow does he say a little more but he accepts it and walks away. He's from spanish football, he's used to decision being made easily, he kept his dignity and walked away even though he'd been treated like a child.
  • Options
    Not the type of thing torres does, he moves his arms out and shrugs, only after he gets the yellow does he say a little more but he accepts it and walks away. He's from spanish football, he's used to decision being made easily, he kept his dignity and walked away even though he'd been treated like a child.

Well I just watched MOTD and Torres has more to say than why. He also made a hand gesture at the referee, like a yapping motion with his hand (ironic really). Seems like he was being a bit cheeky.

After watching it again, Mascherano was lucky to stay on the pitch as long as he did. Before the sending off he had a go at the referee on 4 different occasions. He could have easily been sent off earlier than he was. Alonso should have tried harder to stop him. He only half-heartedly grabbed him, then let him go. Can't blame Alonso though, he was only trying to do the right thing.
  • Options

Glad gerrard and carragher had a go at him. did you see benitez's reaction? He was already on his way down to contest the foul against torres then couldn't believe it when he got a yellow card for saying "why?".

Steve bennett completely destroyed what could have been a good game. i'm glad torres near the end didn't say nothing but flew in at wes brown continually knocking him over, i think he though if you're going to get a yellow card atleast make it for a reason.

poor performance from the ref, i hope he realises his mistakes.

No, he was applying the rules of the game regarding dissent and foul and abusive language.

Mascherano deserved a yellow for the first challenge which was late and not nice. He was lucky not to get another for dissent as soon as he got the first one; reading his lips, saying 'Fuck off' to the referee twice is not a nice thing to see.

Sadly that string of obscenities that came out of his stupid pie hole didn't stop there. He was constantly being gobby at the referee, complaining and generally being a pest. Granted his English may not be great but his grasp of some of the more colourful aspects of our native tongue seemed quite competent and the referee rightly sent him off.

Referees and officials do not deserve to be spoken to like they are, week in, week out, and players should be given instant yellows for using foul and abusive language towards the officials as it is written in the rules of the game.

I personally think that rugby principles should be applied. No arguing whatsoever, only the captain and the offender should be allowed to speak to the referee and foul language is instantly rewarded with a yellow card. That would at least create some semblence of respect for the largely-thankless task that is refereeing. Otherwise what kind of example is that setting for people when top players can sceam f and c words at the referee? It's no wonder that the FA are losing referees at grass roots left right and centre and being forced to plough money into a sceme to keep them.
  • Options
    So how did Torres having a yellow card ruin the game? You got a lesson in football. Get over it.
  • Options
    It's no wonder that the FA are losing referees at grass roots left right and centre and being forced to plough money into a sceme to keep them.

Around 7,000 of them per year... :(
  • Options
    Torres did the thing with his hand like a mouth because the referee won't let him speak.

Football could do without referees like steve bennett.

Torres did not deserve the treatment he got, the whole team, fans, commentators were talking about the referees decisions, the game centred around the referee because it was obvious he made too many quick decisions and it showed near the end of the game when torres started going in hard and ronaldo started diving more to trick the referee no to mention the benitez was already on his way down to have a word with the ref before torres got the card.

The ref ruined the game, look at the game with Chelsea and Arsenal, totally different game, the players could speak their mind and it was a sensible great game. giving people yellow cards for contesting a foul when they were kicked to the floor in the first place is a joke. There was no dissent in torres. The ref was weak and took advantage of, it was in the news before the game that he was scared and it turned out to be true.
  • Options
    Torres did the thing with his hand like a mouth because the referee won't let him speak.

Torres did not deserve the treatment he got, the whole team, fans, commentators were talking about the referees decisions, the game centred around the referee because it was obvious he made too many quick decisions and it showed near the end of the game when torres started going in hard and ronaldo started diving more to trick the referee no to mention the benitez was already on his way down to have a word with the ref before torres got the card.

The ref ruined the game, look at the game with Chelsea and Arsenal, totally different game, the players could speak their mind and it was a sensible great game. giving people yellow cards for contesting a foul when they were kicked to the floor in the first place is a joke. There was no dissent in torres. The ref was weak and took advantage of, it was in the news before the game that he was scared and it turned out to be true.

So not only do you know exactly what Torres said to the referee, but you can read his mind as well and know why he acted like he did. :lol:

The truth is you don't know what Torres said or why he made the childish gesture at the referee. Players shouldn't try and officiate matches themselves, and that's what Mascherano (and presumably Torres) were trying to do. Mascherano was a red card waiting to happen, and Torres was just naive, and probably should have seen red as well, later in the game.

If anything, Liverpool got more decisions their way than they got against them. Carrager fouled Rooney in the 5th minute when Rooney was one on one inside the box. If Rooney had of gone down it would have been a nailed on penalty and Carragher should have been sent off. Rooney should be commended for staying on his feet - he saved you from even further humiliation. Imagine playing 85 minutes with 10 men against Man United! :nervous: ;)
  • Options
    So not only do you know exactly what Torres said to the referee, but you can read his mind as well and know why he acted like he did. :lol:

Torres is not known to do that. The ref is known to be a cunt. Other players including the manager were about to have a word with the referee over his decision. Commentators and fans a like could see no problem with torres. Steve bennett pulled a card out because torres shrugged to say why, then the ref told him to go away, so torres made movements with his hand, maybe because he was treated like a child, we don't know, but it's safe to assume he was asking why he won't let him speak. Something like 85% of communication is body language. I think fans and players a like just got fed up with the ref, the whole game ended up all about steve bennett when it should have been about the football.
    The truth is you don't know what Torres said or why he made the childish gesture at the referee.

What? unlike the childish gesture the ref makes to players telling them to go away and point like a dog?
    Players shouldn't try and officiate matches themselves, and that's what Mascherano (and presumably Torres) were trying to do. Mascherano was a red card waiting to happen, and Torres was just naive, and probably should have seen red as well, later in the game.
    Oh, presumably. Lol i don't blame torres for going in hard, might as well get a card for something, but then the ref was TOO SCARED to keep up with the stupid style of his decisions. Which had ronaldo falling all over the floor trying to take advantage.
    If anything, Liverpool got more decisions their way than they got against them. Carrager fouled Rooney in the 5th minute when Rooney was one on one inside the box. If Rooney had of gone down it would have been a nailed on penalty and Carragher should have been sent off. Rooney should be commended for staying on his feet - he saved you from even further humiliation. Imagine playing 85 minutes with 10 men against Man United! :nervous: ;)

Carragher should not have been sent off for it, it was an obvious mistake, he didn't mean to knock him over but yeah man u should have had a penalty. I do commend rooney for staying on his feet, that's the type of game we want. Not some bullshit where you get knocked over, then a free kick against you and as soon as you say why you get told to go away ad a yellow card.
  • Options
    Considering the past game with ashley cole, this just shows his ref style is complete joke.
  • Options

Thus committing the offence of "dissent".

32,000 (i.e. nearly all) will have applauded him for what he did.
    What? unlike the childish gesture the ref makes to players telling them to go away and point like a dog?

It's childish to warn players of their dissent before booking them for it.

Tell me Matt, just what is it that you want?
  • Options
    "Amazingly, Kop boss Rafa Benitez insisted: “The player told me he was asking what happened and to get sent off for that made him really, really surprised.”
  • Options

Tell me Matt, just what is it that you want?

The referee that Chelsea and Arsenal had. Much better, what a game!
  • Options
    I agree with this.

THE rumour swept Old Trafford after yesterday’s game that United were going to open their superstore on Bank Holiday Monday.

It was apparently so the Red Devil’s faithful could buy the new home shirt complete with the name of their latest hero on. Steve Bennett. At least he’d be on United’s back then and not ours. Mascherano should not have kept up his stream of complaints to Bennett that’s true. but what is equally true is that Bennett only seemed interested in booking players in Liverpool shirts. Torres complained about being repeatedly fouled and was booked!

Bleed quietly in future, Fernando. Mascherano pointed out how ludicrous that decision was and was also shown a yellow. Ashley Cole nearly cut a Tottenham player in two during the week and turned his back on Mike Riley yet was only yellow-carded. The inconsistency and sheer ineptitude of referees simply beggars belief.
  • Options
    Essentially you feel hard done by because you had a player sent off and you were totally outclassed and outplayed by your bitter rivals. It's natural to feel angry about it but the referee was not to blame. I applaud the referees for starting to come down on dissent and foul language, even when it's my team who suffers for it as it will ultimately make the game better and cultivate a long-overdue culture of respect for the men in black.
  • Options
    Yes we do Thunderstruck and it echos in other places. I think there was a degree of empathy from the commentators and tony adams. It would ahve been nice to have consistent refereeing like in the chelsea arsenal game.
  • Options
    The start of the game we dominated, until the refs decisions started coming in and players started to get frustrated. Remember, before torres was carded benitez was already on his way down to have a word with the ref about his decisions.
  • Options
    Carragher should not have been sent off for it, it was an obvious mistake, he didn't mean to knock him over but yeah man u should have had a penalty.

What? If you're the last man and you take out the striker, you're sent off. It doesn't matter if it was accidental or on purpose. And you still haven't mentioned how Torres being given a yellow card had any affect on the absolute spanking Liverpool received.
  • Options
    Steve bennett pulled a card out because torres shrugged to say why, then the ref told him to go away, so torres made movements with his hand, maybe because he was treated like a child, we don't know, but it's safe to assume he was asking why he won't let him speak.

I don't think it's safe to assume that at all. We could just as easily assume he was asking for one of our players to be booked or criticising the referee over his decisions, both of which are yellow card offences. You don't really know what Torres is like. He's not been in the country that long. He definitely had problems with petulance and discipline at Atletico Madrid and was frequently clashing with referees. To be fair, he was the captain there, but still, I don't think he's the innocent angel you make him out to be.

I don't think pointing a player away compares to making a childish yapping gesture at a referee! Do you expect the referee to sit and take shit from people like Torres? If he didn't sort out the situation there and then, he'd have to listen to Torres and Mascherano having a go at him all game.

Carragher should not have been sent off for it, it was an obvious mistake, he didn't mean to knock him over but yeah man u should have had a penalty.

If you agree it was a penalty, you also have to concede it was a red card. He was last man and should have gone. Them's the rules.