Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

BNP Guest-writers for Basil Brush episode

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So it's the Ramany's fault that they are abused?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Did I say that? No. I didn't. I said the joke would still be funny with any group put there, and that gypsies have a repution for this.

No you said it was hardly racist. It was.
    It would have been acceptable if the joke was aimed at Blacks or Jews and really see how you can argue otherwise.
    Sigh. If Gypsies want a good reputation, they should organise themselves better and exclude and grass up to the cops the groups amounst them that are the theiving cunts. This is the problem - they are too protective of thier own, even when they DO commit crimes. This is why people dislike them.

See this is the undlying reason your arguing. You believe that the reputaion of Gypsies as thieves is well founded and something they have to change. You don't see or at least your denying that there is a very real problem with racism regarding gypsies.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Skive wrote: »
    No you said it was hardly racist. It was.
    It would have been acceptable if the joke was aimed at Blacks or Jews and really see how you can argue otherwise.

See this is the undlying reason your arguing. You believe that the reputaion of Gypsies as thieves is well founded and something they have to change. You don't see or at least your denying that there is a very real problem with racism regarding gypsies.

There will always be underlying racism unless we educate people better than we are, and stop the often parental influences that cause this too. I doubt anyone would ever approve of removing children from parents though. A bit too brave new world. There are also alot of Jew jokes. And alot of racism. See Reynard the Fox.

Also are you denying there IS a problem on which this reputation is founded? That the gypsies do have a problem, which they are not working to alleviate? Sure, the majority may be fine people (I have met a few nice ones, and a sadly large amount of scumbags), but there is a component part which do lead a life of crime, and this is all the media covers (the media only ever covers bad news anyway). Unless they do something to stop this, it will remain. Alot of black people are working to prevent youngsters turning to gang culture. Alot of Muslims are working to prevent youngsters turning to terrorism. Gypsies need to do the same if they want to prevent this reputation prevailing.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Gypsies need to do the same if they want to prevent this reputation prevailing.

How do you know they aren't?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Also are you denying there IS a problem on which this reputation is founded?

No. But that's not an excuse to make jokes about it. A lot of inner city crime, knife and gun crime is commited by blacks. That doesn't not mean that it's accpeptable to make jokes about black people being muggers, especially on kids TV.
    The repsonse to this went to far with the involvement of the police but it's still an issue and to dismiss it as you did really is rather stupid.. You denied it was racist, well it was.

Their reputation is by and large an exaggeration anyway, one that continues simply because racism against Roma generally goes unchallenged.

Take the term 'Pikey' for instance, a word thrown that's used so often and so easilly that most find it hard to believe it's an offensive racist term like 'Paki'.
    Unless they do something to stop this, it will remain. Alot of black people are working to prevent youngsters turning to gang culture. Alot of Muslims are working to prevent youngsters turning to terrorism. Gypsies need to do the same if they want to prevent this reputation prevailing.

They do and even if they didn't it's no excuse for racist jokes.

I don't see what your arguing here. It was a racist remark, people were offended and they got into trouble. That's what should aheva happened.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    As I did point out, it would still be funny, without the fact it was a gypsie involved. Right?