Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The cost of living.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote: »
    No, it is quite often £5 for a pint of something out of the ordinary.

Yeah, I've never paid over a fiver for a pint in London and as you said, I've only ever paid a fiver for the not so common beers. Usually it's 3-4 quid, some pubs are cheaper...

You may have to pay 6 quid in some really expensive VIP clubs, but I wouldn't know.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    When I started drinking I could get 5 pints of stella for less than tenner in a pub. I can only just get 3 at my local now. When I started smoking fags were aroudn the £2.40 mark. Fuel was around 75p a litre.
    This is all about 10 years ago.

Mad innit.

Thankfully I no longer have to pay for fuel - got a fuel card for my company motor that I can use for private miles. Don't apy for tax, MOT, or insurance either - saves me a fucking fortune?
    I don't smoke so much anymore and when I do it's baccy from abroad so it's cheap.
    Alcohol prices don't piss me off too much because nowadays it doesn't take much to get me pissed.

Food and energy bills seem to be where my money goes at the moment. The price of milk, eggs, and onions seems to have gone through the roof.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

The price of milk, eggs, and onions seems to have gone through the roof.

You must smell ripe?! ;):D
  • Options
    I can get 10 bottles of stella and 20 palace round my way for about £9, saves me a bomb going out.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Everything has been sneaking up now - like a penny or two every single week it seems for some products.

Seems like milk is going up - like a penny a week (upto 50p a pint now nearly!!)
  • Options
    MancDan wrote: »
    Isn't the average pint of beer down there £6-£7 quid? :crazyeyes

Wouldn't know, I don't drink, which probably saves me a packet. One London bar charged my friend £9 for a single vodka and mixer :crazyeyes
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    About £5 I've heard - approaching £3 up here now in 'trendy' places.
  • Options
    Only in poncy Soho or West End places for tourists to be honest. The immense majority of pubs and bars in London serve beer for around £3.30-£3.80 a pint.
  • Options
    Yes and no.

Food and energy bills do seem to be rising a bit.

Phone, internet and all that seems to be going down.

sadly the ones i need are going up
  • Options
    No, it is quite often £5 for a pint of something out of the ordinary.

No chance.

It's usually £3.50-ish, rising to a bit more for the fancy stuff.

For a regular pint, it is rare for it to be more than £4.

Spirits tend to be pretty pricey though. If you find a double + mixer for £5, you're onto a winner.

(OOPS - quoted the wrong one)
  • Options
    addict ya got in there first lol i was ragin about space invaders goin up to 15p, and the packets are smaller!!

what are they gonna do with 1p sweets?!

frosty jacks is now 3.29 compared to 3 quid last year :p

can still manage 4 pints to a 10er in local bars but only 3 in town
  • Options
    Yes, it's costing me £150 a bloody night to stay in the Marriot in SLOUGH! lol.. well Datchet or wherever

OK it's nearly London but not quite! lol

Breaky is £16 on top of that

Glad the company is paying :D

But on a serious note, yeah, food, petrol and energy prices are rocketing IMO
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    addict ya got in there first lol i was ragin about space invaders goin up to 15p, and the packets are smaller!!

What?! They are destroying those cardboard snacks.
  • Options
    I went down to London and the first place I found to eat was 2 meals for £8 and £2.50 a pint. Must be the Northerner in me.
  • Options
    I went down to London and the first place I found to eat was 2 meals for £8 and £2.50 a pint. Must be the Northerner in me.

Last time i was in Winbledon i found a huge eatery with bloody great oriental statues outside ...tons of fancy ceramics and carvings in the place ...Chinese food being cooked by West Indians and Scotsmen. Noisy atmosphere and i think me and the missus stuffed ourselves had a few drinks and parted with about twenty five quid but that was about four years ago. Does Wimbledon count as London?
  • Options
    Does Wimbledon count as London?
    Well, it's got a London postcode (SW19) if that's anything to go by.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Does Wimbledon count as London?

:yes:

It's not the City though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Parts of Wimbledon (the Village) can be quite pricey but on the whole is just like any other London suburb.

Frankly, other than in some posh very well known venue, I struggle to think where would have anyone been charged £5 plus for a pint in London... I can honestly say that other than in proper celebrity hangouts like China White (and they don't sell pints there anyway), I have never been charged £4 for a pint in London.
  • Options
    I haven't counted but it appears that a thread about the cost of living has more or less become a thread about alcohol with the odd onion thrown in...why am i not surprised.
  • Options
    MR you've been around a bit.

Were things cheaper when you were a lad? Could you do more? Or did it cost £3 to get to town, £5 to do anything remotely interesting (bowling, cinema, etc.) which is more now than the average kid gets in pocket money...
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    MR you've been around a bit.

Were things cheaper when you were a lad? Could you do more? Or did it cost £3 to get to town, £5 to do anything remotely interesting (bowling, cinema, etc.) which is more now than the average kid gets in pocket money...
    In the black and white days ...my first pint of bitter was one shilling and ninepence ...about eight pee. So a pound was a night out with fags cannabis and fish and chips on the way home. A fiver was a Friday night out with a girl ... I could get cannabis for seven pounds an ounce.
    Petrol was about five shillings a gallon ...25p ....My dad was a long distance truck driver for a while and if he worked around seventy hours a week he came home with about twenty quid. He was an engineer after that and came home with thirty quid a week.
    The first house i rented was twelve shillings and sixpence a week ...65p.
    Chips were tuppence a bag or fourpence a bag. The coins in my pocket had diffenet kings and queens on them ...especialy pennies ...dating back to the 1860's. All manner of coins that had been in circulation for generations ...a real linkwith the past.
    Up to around 1970 ...a lot of milk coal iron mongery was still delivered by horse and cart all over the north of England. Police cars had bells on. Policemen had whistles not radios.
    And then i went off to fight in the war ...the drug war.
  • Options
    ive been learning in the last few weeks that it seems to be ablsolutely impossible for a single person to live comfortably on a minimum wage job, once youve paid rent and council tax and then the utilities the amount left for food and other such silly things is just apauling, the only way to do to do it really is council housing an aparently the waiting list around here is about 5 years if you're not an emergency case!
  • Options
    Sopycookie wrote: »
    ive been learning in the last few weeks that it seems to be ablsolutely impossible for a single person to live comfortably on a minimum wage job, once youve paid rent and council tax and then the utilities the amount left for food and other such silly things is just apauling, the only way to do to do it really is council housing an aparently the waiting list around here is about 5 years if you're not an emergency case!

i know guys round here who go home with around two twenty a week. They pay rent of around eighty quid a week ...then council tax gas electric petrol ...and they live on frozen food and microwaves ...It's not a life ...it's work and survive work and survive.
    Before the minimum wage there were jobs advertised round here at less than three quid an hour ...mostly part time for women.
    How the hell some people survive let alone thrive is beyond me.
  • Options
    MR - so in proportion, say an average wage then was 20 quid a week, and rent on a house was 65p a week... that's nothing compared to today where anything up to half your income can go on rent.

I worked out I get £130 a week at uni which is quite a lot, but rent is £80 - £90, food is £20 so I get between £20 and £30 for everything else. That's still more than some.

How did this happen? I mean, a house is still a house, there's still enough for everyone, why is it so expensive? We have no alternative I guess.

It just feels like we're returning to the days of rich landowners getting peasants to work for them in exchange for food and accomodation.
  • Options
    MR - so in proportion, say an average wage then was 20 quid a week, and rent on a house was 65p a week... that's nothing compared to today where anything up to half your income can go on rent.

I worked out I get £130 a week at uni which is quite a lot, but rent is £80 - £90, food is £20 so I get between £20 and £30 for everything else. That's still more than some.

How did this happen? I mean, a house is still a house, there's still enough for everyone, why is it so expensive? We have no alternative I guess.

It just feels like we're returning to the days of rich landowners getting peasants to work for them in exchange for food and accomodation.
    Trying my best not to see this through rose coloured specs ...
    Life was very different. In the late fifties early sixties ...the time of my childhood ...the country had recently done away with ration books and coupons. The schools were full of male teachers who had come back from the war with bits of them missing ...often bits of their heads ...very violent and regimental schooling some times.
    Everywhere was being nocked down and rebuilt ...there was no such thing as unemployment. There was new rebelious music. Money ...well there was no supermarkets. there were no electrical retailers ...small private telly and radio shops ...family busineses. Food was plentiful but very basic ...curry shops hadn't been iunvented. My fathers income would have gone on rent food savings and beer and fags basicaly. Savings as in a two week holiday in Rhyl come summer. No long term stuff. No fancy goods tobuy ...a gramaphone player with radio ...we had a posh one ...but that was expected to last about thirty years ...my grandfather had it ten before us.
    So there was very little to buy ...to want.
    When people say they never locked their doors it's not the rose tints ...people didn't cos there was nowt worth pinching.
    Wether life was cheaper i cannot decide ...life was so very much simpler ...which distorts it all.
  • Options
    Doesn't seem to be too bad over there. We're starting to be hit with up to 10% inflation right now due to the ISK falling hard. The only thing that is coming down are house prices as people can't afford to pay the ridiculous prices anymore as the banks won't give out morgages easily. Food, gas, electricity, transport, morgages in foreign currency, etc... it's all going up up up and quickly. I dread to think of how it is for those with morgages that have gone up over 20% within a few days.

Just last month I was celebrating a payrise due to new union negotiations coming through. The inflation already seems to be going to eat it up in record time.

But I guess the good thing is that I'm now finally wanting to get rid of my car. My heart bleeds every time I go to a petrol station.
  • Options
    How did this happen?
    Now your begining to see the world through my eyes! That' how i percieved the world when i was around ten years old ...to do with the way people reacted to an earthquake and its victims at the time ...SKOPJE 1963 ...the way my father reacted especialy vbut thats another.
    Since that event almost everything i have witnessed in my life has and does reinforce the fact that we are owned. Me a bit less than most but ...still owned. The schemes the wealthy come up with by accident and design to keep us owned ...you won't actualy fully accept.
  • Options
    The cost of a lot of things is going up sharply for many because people are so used to the supermarket now that they'll put up with any sort of price rise just because its the supermarket and it must be cheaper.

We still live on a shopping budget of about £40 a week. I get the bread from the baker, the veg from the greengrocer and the meat from the butcher. We do most of our shopping at the market. And I still have enough left over to at least get one or two bottles of wine a week.

It has gone up a bit, though; we were living on £35 a week.

The big thing that's have gone up is the cost of petrol and fuel. But inflation is more rounded than just petrol. At the same time as petrol's gone up my Vodafone mobile has come down from 30p/minute and 15p/text to 15p/minute and 10p/text. I can buy a new telly for £50. CDs have dropped from £15 to £7. I can get a brand new sofa from Ikea for £100. I can get a brand new jumper and pair of jeans and still have change from £15.
  • Options
    Ignoring official figures ...are you noticing a seriously sharp rise in the price of everything?
    I mean way beyond what the official figures are saying.
    Today i went in the supermarket for a few items and came out sixty quid down ...a few items. And then ....
    Gas electric diesel/petrol ...food ...food seems to have rocketed.
    Are the inflation figures being distorted beyond how they used to distort them? If so ...how so?

yea I'm still trying to figure that one out the cost of living has increased by about 40 % in the last 6 months (80 % per year) where did they get 3 % from ?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The cost of a lot of things is going up sharply for many because people are so used to the supermarket now that they'll put up with any sort of price rise just because its the supermarket and it must be cheaper.

We still live on a shopping budget of about £40 a week. I get the bread from the baker, the veg from the greengrocer and the meat from the butcher. We do most of our shopping at the market. And I still have enough left over to at least get one or two bottles of wine a week.

It has gone up a bit, though; we were living on £35 a week.

The big thing that's have gone up is the cost of petrol and fuel. But inflation is more rounded than just petrol. At the same time as petrol's gone up my Vodafone mobile has come down from 30p/minute and 15p/text to 15p/minute and 10p/text. I can buy a new telly for £50. CDs have dropped from £15 to £7. I can get a brand new sofa from Ikea for £100. I can get a brand new jumper and pair of jeans and still have change from £15.

we don't eat cds or put them in our cars to get to work, the esentials have gone up and whilst the price of other stuff goes down its generally so crap quality you will be getting a new one sooner than you'd have liked, my mobile phone charges (and I hardly use a mobile) were already what yours have finally come down too why did you get with the most exspensive provider around