Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

end of CBT?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Argh. She was hinting that maybe we should take the 'stabilisers' off so to speak and see how I do therapy free for a while soon. This feels like it is no way over though :grump: What has happened to other people when they finish with CBT? To me it seems like accepting what I don't really want to and that I have to 'get over it'.

Comments

• Options
    Who suggested this to you? The therapist?
  • Options
    Yeah. You know how they try and ease into the subject but I think she sensed my panic so changed it to that's what we should be aiming for.
  • Options
    Would someone continue to moniter you?

I'm not sure if the same applies to CBT but with some forms of therapy you can continue to improve for a few months at least after the end of the therapy. Apparently.

Also, it might be the start of the final third (if you consider the model of therapy where you spent a third of the time preparing to do the work, a third of the time doing it and a third of the time preparing to leave although I'm not sure if this applies to your therapy).

I don't have any real advice here as I've never had any positive endings to treatments (only getting discharged for the wrong reasons!) and I've not done CBT.

I hope it goes okay for you :)
  • Options
    Thank you me too :) I don't think my therapy is divided like that. I've heard CBT is usually only short though. I may just have a 'break' like she says because I can always go back. It just feels like a safety net so seems quite scary to take it down.
  • Options
    It can actually turn out to be a good thing, if you are in therapy weekly its easy to dwell on things and its in the back of your mind most of the time.

Once I finished I actually found I could relax a bit more, I didnt have to self check all the time.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    It can actually turn out to be a good thing, if you are in therapy weekly its easy to dwell on things and its in the back of your mind most of the time.

Once I finished I actually found I could relax a bit more, I didnt have to self check all the time.

Mmm I agree with you. I can see that now she is probably trying to wean me off it by spacing them a month apart now rather than two weeks.
  • Options
    I had CBT weekly for about 3 months and got so fed up of filling in 'thought records' every time I did ANYTHING that I discharged myself.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    I had CBT weekly for about 3 months and got so fed up of filling in 'thought records' every time I did ANYTHING that I discharged myself.

I remember those :yeees: Had to do them in hospital
  • Options
    I'm about to go without therapy for the first time in 5 years (for the past 3 I've been going anywhere between 3 and 4 times a week) and I'm really scared, but I think the best you can do is trust your therapist's judgement and make a commitment to yourself that if you think you need help again you ask.

My therapist raised the issue of stopping back in September and I'm not leaving 'til May so you may have lots of support yet.