Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Taking the pill continuously

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
//

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it's safe long term, and not really a good idea to do it unless instructed by your doctor.

However I have been on it for 6 packets back to back before (because of being told to do so by my gynae), and apart from a bit of break-through bleeding I didn't have any horrible side effects or anything.
    Some people do find when they do have a bleed after so long it can be more painful and heavy though, I think... so might be worth having breaks more often.

Maybe someone could send you some better tampons?
  • Options
    I've only ever doubled up on pill packs, so 2 months without a period, and tbh I cannot imagine what it'd be like the period after 6 months of not having one. I'm usually bed-bound after I double up pill packs so god know how painful/heavy it'd be if I did it for 6 months.

However, having been brought up by a Nurse, I can't really condone women not having periods. It's something women have to do and have done since the dawn of time. I think it's incredibly risky to start messing with nature imo.

To be incredibly frank, it drives me crazy when women say 'I don't like periods so I'm going to stop having them' because it's a fact of life - we deal with it. We can't just stomp our feet and refused to have periods.
  • Options
    I did microgynon for 3 months without a break and had no ill effects (that I know of!) and the period at the end was just a normal pill period. It probably depends what type of pill you are on though.
  • Options
    //
  • Options
    Yes, but not having any is completely unnatural in my eyes.
  • Options
    Why?
  • Options
    However, having been brought up by a Nurse, I can't really condone women not having periods.

LMAO
  • Options
    Instinctively I would say it isn't a good idea but I don't know for sure. I thought running two packs together every now and then was okay, but not sure about the implications of not having a break for five or six months in a row. Perhaps you should speak to your doc or the family planning clinic about it just to make sure it doesn't have longer term implications or side effects?

Someone asked the same question:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/birthcontrolandcontraception/203096.html

and I've had a quick look around the net and it looks like one of those things where everyone says something different :chin: