Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pill & spots

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was on the combined pill (Micro/Ovranette) and never had any problems for five years.
I then came off it for 6 months. Recently I decided to start taking it again but it has brought me up in the most awful spots which has been going on for 2 months. I've never had bad skin before so it's getting me down. I've come off it now and am looking at getting a different pill. I have just moved house though so I don't have a GP in the area yet. Can you turn up at a family planning centre or anything or do you have to register?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations of pills to change to? I've heard Dianette is quite good.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Options
    You don't have to register at the family planning clinic as far as I'm aware, probably best if you give them a call to see when is the best time for you to come down as they have different sessions on different days I think (its been years since I went to one!).

Dianette is ace for getting rid of spots, I had them into my 20s but as within a month of taking Dianette they had gone. You aren't supposed to stay on it continuously for a long amount of time (usually six months to a year and then switch to another pill for a few months I think) but I found that after taking it for six months and going onto another pil, my spots stayed away completely so I'm hoping it has solved the problem permanently.
  • Options
    ah ok cool sounds good..are there any side effects to Dianette?
  • Options
    I think Dianette has side effects such as increased risk of blood clots etc. It is a bit more unsafe than other pills as it has higher hormone levels. I was on it for 5 years :rolleyes: because my doctor was crap. I went on it for my skin and it really does help clear up the problem. However I had really bad period pains. My new doctor has switched me to Mercilon which is a new pill and has decreased side effects but also helps keep your skin clear. I've found it brilliant. My skin has stayed clear and also have much less severe PMT symptoms :thumb:
  • Options
    Yeah dianette does have increased risk of blood clots I think which is why you're not supposed to be on it continuously for a long time. As for other side effects I think it is down to the individual, same as any pill, some people get along fine with it (like me) whereas others have problems. Best to have a chat with them about it and see what they say I think!
  • Options
    I'm on Dianette and my skin has never been better. When I came off it my skin went bad again though.